• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Sports Moments

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Whether it's spectator sports or participation, be it from days of old or something more recent, boys or girls, men's or women's, we've all had our favorite sports moments. Some of us had many. Maybe we can have some fun sharing them.

I'm thinking memories of home runs hit in little league, touchdowns run in highschool and baskets shot playing pickup games in college. None compared to playing goalie in a game of street hockey, out in the back alley, on a Saturday afternoon, when I was 7 or 8, anticipating watching the pro-game on tv that evening while sharing a pizza with my family. :)

I was at that game. Blew my mind.

Also that goal.

My favorite moment? Well, if I had to pick one it would be from a softball league I played in. We were down by double digits going into our last AB and pulled off a win. The girl I was dating was playing with us and she hadn't had a hit the whole season but she went 3-3 in that inning. It was just one of those moments in sports where absolutely everything goes your way.

The best moment I've ever witnessed was Bucky Dent's HR in Fenway during the '78 playoff game.

1992 European Championships.... the vacation team Denmark went all the way to win. Denmark did not qualify but when Yugoslavia was banned, then Denmark was added as runner up and the team who were literately on the beaches around the world relaxing, had to be assembled. That was done and they came... played and won over Germany in the final and beating France and Holland on the way there.

On the professional level, it's Franco Harris's Immaculate Reception to beat the Oakland Raiders in the 1972 playoffs - more recently, Santonio Holmes miraculous catch at the end of Super Bowl 43 giving Pittsburgh their sixth Super Bowl.

On a personal level, it was when my family moved when I was 11 and it was hard to make new friends but I'll always remember the day I was asked to join the street ballhockey game and as the goalie for my team I got a shutout and was an instant star - even the bigger kids couldn't score on me - that made the transition very easy.

Picking a whole season of great moments, I'd say it was mid-eighties, Andre Dawson's first year with the Cubs, just before his knees finally gave out. It almost seemed like he hit a home run in every game. Most definitely by about halfway through the season, we'd all anticipate him hitting one at every at bat.

Of course, this was back when Harry Carey announced the games. Him, three-sheets into the wind, by the third inning, excitedly slurring the name "Ahhndrey Dawthson" at the top of his voice whenever the ball left his bat was classic stuff.

Sticking with seasons, the eighties and Chicago--the entire Chicago Bears1985-86 Superbowl season definitely ranks up there in the top ten. Hard to imagine these guys accurately called their shot, being so bold as to crank out a video.

That song must have played a million times in all the clubs, taverns and bars we drank in during that wild year.

1992 European Championships.... the vacation team Denmark went all the way to win. Denmark did not qualify but when Yugoslavia was banned, then Denmark was added as runner up and the team who were literately on the beaches around the world relaxing, had to be assembled. That was done and they came... played and won over Germany in the final and beating France and Holland on the way there.

Good choice..

I was favored these two moments..
It was the first World Cup I saw in person and it's was off his weak foot.

and

Only team to beat Spain.. in a period between 2007 - 2009 and prevent Spain from passing Brazil. Your welcome Brazil.

Good choice..

I was favored these two moments..
It was the first World Cup I saw in person and it's was off his weak foot.

and

Only team to beat Spain.. in a period between 2007 - 2009 and prevent Spain from passing Brazil. Your welcome Brazil.

Ugh.. also for the was at the top.

I pretty much quit following spectator sports in the late 80's...except for games featuring Michael Jordan. He had me hooked. THe dude must own 9 of my top 10 favorite spectator sports moments. My favorite though involved Bob Costas.

After the bulls won their first title. Costas goes to interview Michael in the locker room. As Costas approaches and announced that Jordan won the MVP by unanimous vote, he mistakes Jordan's wife for his mother. Frigging hilarious (see 8:58 minutes into the video attached).

NL championship

1972 ... With the Reds down, 3-2, in the bottom of the ninth of the fifth and deciding game of the 1972 NLCS against the Pirates, catcher Johnny Bench leads off the inning and hits a dramatic home run against reliever Dave Gusti to tie the score. The clout comes minutes after Bench's mother yells from the stands for him to hit a home run. After consecutive singles by Tony Perez and Denis Menke, Gusti is replaced by Bob Moose, who uncorks a wild pitch that allows George Foster, pinch running for Perez, to score the winning run and the Reds to win their second pennant in three years.

1976-with Japan in a tight race with USSR for the men's gymnastics team gold, Japanese gymnast Shun Fujimoto has to do the rings-he had broken his leg earlier in the competition. If he sticks the landing Japan would win the gold medal. He does

Same Olympics-bowling green U unknown David Wottle comes around the turn in the 800 meter and smokes the field in one of the greatest kicks ever seen in that event

same Olympics one of my buddies destroys the field and wins the archery championship with the greatest winning margin that those games saw. He repeated his win 8 years later because of the Carter boycott he could not defend in 1980: he and Edwin Moses were the only two athletes to win in 1976 and repeat in 1984

NBA playoffs-cannot remember year. DR J drives on Boston center Dave Cowens but Cowens has the position and an obvious block. Dr J no look bounce passes behind him to trailer Bobby Jones who catches the ball at the foul line and comes screaming in with one of the most ferocious tomahawk dunks ever seen over Cowens.

Dr J again-All Star game-steals the in bound pass and goes over Kareem with a whirly bird facial dunk. He swung the ball so fast it looked like an orange circle

Rafa Nadal's three epic matches-beating Roger at wimbledon, losing to NDat the Australian Open in 2102 and his 9-7 in the fifth win over ND in the recent French. Many experts consider those 3 of the best matches ever played with Rafa's 2008 win over Roger the best ever.

Jahangir Khan, perhaps the fittest athlete in known history sets the record in 1986 winning 555 squash games in a row. This is the longest winning streak in any top level professional sports nd he won the 1982 Players championship without losing a single point (then you could only win a point while serving-sort of like volleyball used to be)

The best moment I've ever witnessed was Bucky Dent's HR in Fenway during the '78 playoff game.

What are you talking about? That was one of the WORST moments in sports history... ranking right up there with Mookie Wilson reaching base on an error in 1986.

On a personal level, last night of the bowling season in 2010. My team was in second place and we needed to win all three games to finish first. I had remembered from the previous year that on the last night, because the early shift league finished a week earlier than we did, the lane conditions were very different... very slick. So, the night before, I took sandpaper to my bowling ball so it would hook earlier. I knew my opponents' styles very well and I knew they would be unable to cope with this condition for at least the first game and a half. I told my partner that if we won the first game by more than 100 pins we had a chance. I bowled a 240 and we won by 117. The whole night went just as I thought... my bowling ball adjustment made the difference and we won all three games and took the championship... my first in 30 years of competition.

A close second would be when I won a tournament back in 1994.

As a spectator... probably my favorite sports moment was when George Foreman knocked out Michael Moorer to regain the Heavyweight championship 20 years after losing it to Muhammad Ali.

Last edited:
On the professional level, it's Franco Harris's Immaculate Reception to beat the Oakland Raiders in the 1972 playoffs

What are you talking about? That was HORRIBLE. You guys are posting all of the sports nightmares from my youth.

On the professional level, it's Franco Harris's Immaculate Reception to beat the Oakland Raiders in the 1972 playoffs - more recently, Santonio Holmes miraculous catch at the end of Super Bowl 43 giving Pittsburgh their sixth Super Bowl.

On a personal level, it was when my family moved when I was 11 and it was hard to make new friends but I'll always remember the day I was asked to join the street ballhockey game and as the goalie for my team I got a shutout and was an instant star - even the bigger kids couldn't score on me - that made the transition very easy.
----------------

God, I hated that play.
Fourth and long, game in hand...............crushing loss.
The Holmes catch was great, though.

Germany beating Argentina 4-0 in the 2010 World Cup.

Just the sight of a dejected Maradona made up for losing to Spain.

Germany 1-5 England. Enough said

Not a moment but a season rather, the 1990 wire-to-wire Cincinnati Reds.

Whether it's spectator sports or participation, be it from days of old or something more recent, boys or girls, men's or women's, we've all had our favorite sports moments. Some of us had many. Maybe we can have some fun sharing them.

I'm thinking memories of home runs hit in little league, touchdowns run in highschool and baskets shot playing pickup games in college. None compared to playing goalie in a game of street hockey, out in the back alley, on a Saturday afternoon, when I was 7 or 8, anticipating watching the pro-game on tv that evening while sharing a pizza with my family. :)

Two great moments from one great year!!

Two great moments from one great year!!

Heh...McMahan before he became the punky QB. Hard to believe that much water has flowed under the bridge. I was 17 in 1980. :(

So, that segues nicely into my current favorite sports moment. I commute to work on my bicycle about 3 times a week, averaging a steady 18 mph while doing it. My route is on a paved bike path, and I pride myself on not being passed by other cyclists while I pass them by the score.

About a week ago, some young stud--skinny guy with long skinny legs, who must have been all of 25 years of age--blew passed me on a mountain bike. Now, mind you, I'm on a nice lightweight road bike with skinny ties that weighs maybe 17 lbs. This guy was on a 30-pound monstrosity with knobby tires the size of balloons. That bike was the equivalent of dragging a ball and chain, and he still moved 23-24 mph.

That was humbling. It was also inspirational--showed me I had room to improve. It also reminded me that I was getting old. Makes me fully appreciate how long ago was the year 1980 :(

Back
Top Bottom