• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Sports Moments

The kitty half time show at the puppy bowl

Cal Ripkens 2191 consecutive games played.
At Camden yards bootom of fifth the California Angels
Got up and applauded him.

After the game he trotted around the outfield saluting the fans.

Really cool!!!

Picking a whole season of great moments, I'd say it was mid-eighties, Andre Dawson's first year with the Cubs, just before his knees finally gave out. It almost seemed like he hit a home run in every game. Most definitely by about halfway through the season, we'd all anticipate him hitting one at every at bat.

Of course, this was back when Harry Carey announced the games. Him, three-sheets into the wind, by the third inning, excitedly slurring the name "Ahhndrey Dawthson" at the top of his voice whenever the ball left his bat was classic stuff.

Harry is missed and will be missed forever. Didn't we have a blast with him at the mic. He and Stone were a great pair. I remember when you were a Cubs afan like all other clubs the players came in as rookies and played until they got too old. Now every year the roster changes...not good. "How about a cold one"?

If there is a more important win for the USA than the Miracle on Ice I would like to know about it.

If there is a more important win for the USA than the Miracle on Ice I would like to know about it.

The damned Russians and other eastern block countries had our number in Boxing, gymnastics and women's swimming too, IIRC. All that changed in around 1980--although, I think the boxing came about before that with guys like Ali, Spinks and Leonard.

What an amazing experience that probably was! Lucky you!!

Yeah it was pretty exciting. Granted it helps going to the same undergrad as them. They actually attended a decent number of games.

Tiger's last major win...at least I think it was his last one. I was stuck in Texas on a project, working long hours 7-days a week. I got away late for a dinner break and watched him sink a long putt for Eagle.

Memorable because this came right before we all found out he was human

Not a moment but a season rather, the 1990 wire-to-wire Cincinnati Reds.

...and being a life-long Reds fan (saw my first ball game opening day 1969 in Crosley Field) and being in San Fran watching game #3 of that World Series in a bar, when the light bulb went off: hey, they were playing in Oakland across the Bay. We bought cheap seats ($130 per) in the parking lot and got to watch game#4... the Sweep. I had tears in my eyes...

Three years later, my own city, Denver, finally got a team. My love for the Reds was replaced with my new love that started with a fling on opening day 1993 when Eric Young, the first Rockie to hit in Denver, knocked a 3-2 pitch over the wall and the expansion Rockies went on to win 11-4 in front of the largest crowd ever to see a major game: 80227 people. My affair continued over 39 more games over that year and blossomed into full love as I got to witness, in person, a ton of Rockies firsts. Of course, the Rox ownership leaves much to be desired and a realize I have just worked my way into an abusive relationship.

Last edited:
As a fan January 30 1983 the Redskins beat the Dolphins in the Super Bowl. Just so them dang Dolphins fans would shut up about thier 1972 "perfect season".
As a participant 1981 Florida Relays at U of Florida (sprinter).
Called up by U of F for a tryout, but after one knee operation they just wouldnt come off some scolarship money.
Cant blame them.

Well, as a die-hard Wolverine alum and fan, my number 1 is probably easy to guess by anyone who knows college football.

I also remember and love watching the US Olympic hockey team beating the Soviets in 1980 as mentioned above.

Also, not mentioned in this thread (that I know of), one thing I remember but don't like - as a huge Tyson fan growing up (yes I watched and loved boxing growing up) - was this:

George was kind of a village idiot character, who spent most evenings in the pub, so he was co-opted into the local pub darts team as a sort of permanent reserve should any of the team not turn up. One disastrous night we had a crack Norwich team visit us, and we lost every single game, one after another, until the final game between the two reserves. Our humiliation was almost complete. We had been whitewashed!
George stepped up to the oche and launched his first dart. Double top! He'd started scoring! His second dart landed in the treble twenty, maximum score! An awed hush descended as he drew back for his third throw.... The silence was broken by our team Captain. "Stop that, George, they'll think we're serious!"

Edmonton finally beating the Islanders in 1984 after losing to them in '83; the Reds finally winning the World Series in 1975 after losing to the A's in '74; the bulls sweeping Detroit in 1991 after getting bounced out of the playoffs by them for 3 or 4 years before that, and the Bears finally winning a playoff game in 1984 after spending a quarter-century in Loserville--you know, the place where the Detroit Lions live.

There are many moments that i like in sports and also some of the moments happened when i was in play. But my favorite moment in sports is when Australia beat England in Ashes series with 5-0. It was the best moment when Aussies won in the captaincy of Ricky Ponting.

There are many moments that i like in sports and also some of the moments happened when i was in play. But my favorite moment in sports is when Australia beat England in Ashes series with 5-0. It was the best moment when Aussies won in the captaincy of Ricky Ponting.

Must seem like a long time ago right nown; )

Whether it's spectator sports or participation, be it from days of old or something more recent, boys or girls, men's or women's, we've all had our favorite sports moments. Some of us had many. Maybe we can have some fun sharing them.

I'm thinking memories of home runs hit in little league, touchdowns run in highschool and baskets shot playing pickup games in college. None compared to playing goalie in a game of street hockey, out in the back alley, on a Saturday afternoon, when I was 7 or 8, anticipating watching the pro-game on tv that evening while sharing a pizza with my family. :)

One of the most moving things I ever saw:

Gabriela ("Gaby") Andersen-Schiess (born May 20, 1945) is a former Swiss long-distance runner who participated in the first women's Olympic marathon at the 1984 Summer Olympics. Though living in Idaho and working as a ski instructor at the time, Andersen-Schiess represented Switzerland in the 1984 Los Angeles Games.
Fourteen minutes into the 1984 Olympic marathon, Joan Benoit began to pull away from the rest of the pack. She went on to win in a time of 2 hours, 24 minutes, and 52 seconds. Twenty minutes after Benoit finished, then 39-year-old Andersen-Schiess entered the stadium.

The crowd gasped in horror as she staggered onto the track, her torso twisted, her left arm limp, her right leg mostly seized. She waved away medical personnel who rushed to help her, knowing that, if they touched her, she would be disqualified. The L.A. Coliseum crowd applauded and cheered as she limped around the track in the race’s final 400 meters, occasionally stopping and holding her head.

While the effects of her heat exhaustion were plainly evident, trackside medics saw that she was perspiring, which meant that her body still had some disposable fluids, and let her continue her march to the finish line. At the completion of this final lap—which took Andersen-Schiess five minutes and 44 seconds—she fell across the finish line. She finished 37th, ahead of seven other runners. Medical personnel tended to her immediately and, miraculously, she was released two hours later. Her time of 2:48:45 would have won the gold medal in the first five Olympic marathons.

Kerri Strug makes a great vault performance, landing on a severely injured ankle, helping the 1996 US Women's gymnasts win a gold! :) There are some other cool moments from the 1996 women's Olympic gymnasts included. They were just amazing!

Tiger's last major win...at least I think it was his last one. I was stuck in Texas on a project, working long hours 7-days a week. I got away late for a dinner break and watched him sink a long putt for Eagle.

Memorable because this came right before we all found out he was human

That entire US Open was one of the greatest moments in any of televised sports. I was on some down time between leaving my job and starting summer semester courses, so I got to watch the following playoff round on monday between him and rocco mediate. 18 extra holes, and they were still tied. then they went another 3 holes past that before Tiger won, all that on a severely damaged left leg where he could barely walk the course.

Then there's this recent moment, where Bruin's player Greg Campbell continues to play and blocks a shot with a broken leg! He's a pretty tough dude!

Back
Top Bottom