• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite song covers

Mark F

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I don't know about anyone else but I can't stand it when a band covers someone else's song and just plays it pretty much like the original. All you end up with is an inferior version of the original. What follows are some of my favorite examples of artists who covered someone else's song and instead of doing a pantomime of the original, owned it and made it entirely their own, and maybe even improved on the original.

Halestorm- I Want You(She's so Heavy)-Originally by The Beatles

Halestorm-1996- Originally by Marilyn Manson

Evanescence-Thoughtless- Originally by Korn

I prefer the original by Jones, but I think Neville's version is really good as well.

With this song, I think it was improved upon each time it was covered, although I like all three versions.

I don't know about anyone else but I can't stand it when a band covers someone else's song and just plays it pretty much like the original. All you end up with is an inferior version of the original. What follows are some of my favorite examples of artists who covered someone else's song and instead of doing a pantomime of the original, owned it and made it entirely their own, and maybe even improved on the original.

Wild Horses has been covered by tons of artists but the Sundays did a fine job!

+1 on that!

Among my favorite covers are:
Vanilla Fudge covering the Supremes

Santana covering the Zombies

Grateful Dead covering Bonnie Dobson

I love the Janis Ian original but Spooky Tooth did a phenomenal job with Society's Child

Blue Cheer did a killer version of Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues

And while nobody can match Buddy Holly, and Mick killed the song Black Oak Arkansas did one bad ass version of Not Fade Away

Among the power covers is the Quicksilver Messenger Service of Bo Diddly's Mona

Back in 1968 a guy named Howard Tate recored "Stop". Later that year Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper did their "Super Sessions" version

In 1965 a band called the Leaves kicked out a tune called "Hey Joe"...'nuff said

this one kicks much ass.

Getting more contemporary, the White Stripes cover of Dylan's One More Cup of Coffee is awesome!

Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode has been covered quite a bit but Peter Tosh put a reggae spin on it and knocked it out of the park.

I'm going back a few years but Jim Reeves killed the Vera Lynn "White Cliffs of Dover"

k d lang covering Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'
Watch her take her bows at the end- she knows she's done something marvelous.

How about the Moms Mabley version of Dion's Abraham , Martin and John

Youssou Ndour with a Byrds classic

1969 the Friends of Distinction took Hugh Massekela's "Grazing in the Grass" and rode it up the charts

Since I ca't spell his name it's Cousin IZ and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"

Johnny Burnette doing a Sticks McGhee cover

The first concert I ever saw (Thanks mom!)

Not even Ella but Janis made Gershwin pop

Satch doing Bessie Smith (not "doin'...doing!:lol:)

B, S & T doing Billie Holiday

The Left Banke did the original but Southside Johnny took it home!

Yeah, we've all heard Procol Harum but what about King Curtis?

Even though a group of white guys wrote the song (and did a damned fine version f it themselves) It's got too much soul for a white band. Al Green made it "right"

These kids are pretty good.

Bonnie Dobson's beautiful original was expanded in two interesting ways by two of America's greatest bands

and my favorite of all the many versions of this song

I think this is the best cover of any rock song ever

Slight cheat, Wilko was lead guitar in the band that had the hit too.

Nothing says "song cover" like Mrs. Miller... :peace

George Benson/ Donny Hathaway

One of my favorites

I know, I know... old thread. But songs are timeless.

I don't know what rock I crawled out under to not have heard this yet... but damn I like it better than the original.

Back
Top Bottom