• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Self-Prepared Fish

It's not so much the flavor but wrapping the fish kind of poaches it and keeps it from drying out.

did you eat it,luther ? especially with leaves?

did you eat it,luther ? especially with leaves?

I may have tried it with grape leaves but I really can't remember. When I was in Puerto Rico we wrapped it in banana leaves and out here we'll cook it in a paper bag for the same effect.

I may have tried it with grape leaves but I really can't remember. When I was in Puerto Rico we wrapped it in banana leaves and out here we'll cook it in a paper bag for the same effect.

banana leaves may not be eaten but boiled poached grape leaves make this tastier,try it.it smells like dolma!:mrgreen:

Whiting...(McCormick Seafood Fry Mix)...fried...served with a nice salad.

Delicioso!

hqdefault.jpg

Tuna steaks, baked with lemon-pepper seasoning and a little lemon juice added after cooking.

lemon pepper goes well with haddock too

When I was stationed in England...Cod and Haddock were the two fishes mostly used to make the fish part of Fish and Chips.

Loved 'em both.

Nice batter...deep fried.

My favorite place:

2680758_2110d4a3.jpg

14990701487_fc6edb0fd6.jpg

When you buy and cook your own fish, what's your favorite, and how do you prepare it?

When I do it, a simply spiced (a little chili powder, paprika, etc) steelhead trout, grilled so that the center is just slightly undercooked. OR the same, but cod loin, and fully cooked (but still very juicy).

When my wife does it, branzini, split down the spine and stuffed with some sliced lemon, olives, sliced cherry tomatoes, simple spicing, a little olive oil on the outside and baked.

Or a chunk of sashmi-grade fish of just about any variety, sliced up and eaten like sashimi at home. And/or, if I have more time, made in ngiri form. I'm no sushi chef, but the preparation is decent enough that it works for me. A sushi chef would likely spit it out....

So salmon isn't the favorite fish for some people.

What is?

When you buy and cook your own fish, what's your favorite, and how do you prepare it?

(not talking about fish you catch and eat here - this is about store bought fish)

How do you season it?
How do you cook it? Grill? Bake? Fry? Smoke?
Marinate?

I do like salmon a lot. But sea bass is excellent as is trout. Tilapia is a good go-to as is cod. Not a huge fan of rockfish for some reason. I try to see what has been wild caught and sustainably fished. Made some moonfish (opah) and it was pretty excellent. Tuna is excellent too, but I like it more as sushi than cooked.

As for cooking....really depends on the fish. Salmon or trout skin on, I do like to grill. But my cast iron skillet sees a lot of fish action.

Occasionally I'll do a breaded fish, but not often. Though speaking of breaded fish....catfish is awesome. I love fried catfish.

Last edited:
Other than trout and carp, I can pretty much go for any kind of fish. My favorites include blue marlin steaks, tuna (salad and sashimi), salmon (pan fry or sashimi), snapper, sea bass and lately milkfish- its common in Asia and its great when its breaded and fried. Eel of any kind is also terrific, I will go eel (and lobster) over any fish if I had the choice.

Last edited:
I do like salmon a lot. But sea bass is excellent as is trout. Tilapia is a good go-to as is cod. Not a huge fan of rockfish for some reason. I try to see what has been wild caught and sustainably fished. Made some moonfish (opah) and it was pretty excellent. Tuna is excellent too, but I like it more as sushi than cooked.

As for cooking....really depends on the fish. Salmon or trout skin on, I do like to grill. But my cast iron skillet sees a lot of fish action.

Occasionally I'll do a breaded fish, but not often. Though speaking of breaded fish....catfish is awesome. I love fried catfish.

You have redeemed yourself. :2wave::lol::mrgreen:

I like almost any fish. But the best is Pacific Halibut. If you can afford it. Here on the East Coast it's $25 a lbs or so.. So I buy it once, maybe if it is on sale, twice a year. It's tough to find here, and it's really tough to justify spending $25 for a pound of fish. But damn it is a treat.

Besides that I'd say Catfish and Trout are my favorites.

Last edited:
I love freshwater fish. Walleye, Crappie, Yellow Perch, and Bluegill are all outstanding and can be pan fried, deep fried, baked, grilled, and even boiled.

Here is a plate of pan fried Crappie and Bluegill...

View attachment 67184712

What is?

(not talking about fish you catch and eat here - this is about store bought fish)

How do you season it?
Marinate?

I love to fish, but the only fish I really love eating is catfish, fried served with a side of hush puppies.

Purple Haze Shrimp
Serves 4 as a side, snack, app or light meal with plenty of leftover sauce.
16 16-20 or u-15 GULF shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact.
3 oz unsalted butter
12 ounces pineapple juice
5-6 each habanero chile, stemmed, seeds intact, or more, or less
1 cups red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 teaspoons ginger, dry
1 teaspoons thyme, fresh, divided
4 ounces cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon corn starch (optional)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup pineapple, diced
3 scallions, sliced

To make the sauce.
Put the habaneros, cabbage and onions in a food processor and pulse to chop everything very fine.
Put this mix in a non reactive pot with the pineapple juice, vinegar, ginger, cornstarch, brown sugar, salt and half of the thyme. Bring to a boil then simmer 15 minutes to concentrate the flavors. This is the Purple Haze sauce. Cool and jar it up. It will last, refrigerated for up to one month or more.
To make the dish, use a heavy skillet.
Melt half the butter and then arrange the shrimp in an even layer in the pan. Cook over medium high heat until the shrimp begin to caramelize on one side. You want them golden brown.
Turn the shrimp over and add about 6 oz of sauce. Bring to a boil, then add the rest of the butter. and swirl to melt it in. Spoon our 4 shrimp per person, smothered in sauce.
Garnish wit fresh pineapple, scallions and sprinkle with the remaining thyme!

Enjoy with beer, a fruity cocktail or a glass of cold white wine like the Finger Lakes riesling in the picture. Don’t do red wine!!! It will make the peppers hotter and will also make the cabbage bitter.

People in the deep south are big into catfish, outside there it is not very popular.

People from the midwest love catfish too. Less we're willing to call places like Missouri and Illinois as "deep south".

It's really the coasts (well maybe further down south on the East Coast, it becomes popular again) where it's not popular at all. I had lived in New Jersey for 4 years, and I didn't notice a whole lot of it. It was around and some places had it, but it wasn't as common a dish as it was back home in Illinois.

People from the midwest love catfish too. Less we're willing to call places like Missouri and Illinois as "deep south".

It's really the coasts (well maybe further down south on the East Coast, it becomes popular again) where it's not popular at all. I had lived in New Jersey for 4 years, and I didn't notice a whole lot of it. It was around and some places had it, but it wasn't as common a dish as it was back home in Illinois.

In texas offering fish outside the coast that is not fried catfish is fighting words! But yeah I guess the midwest likes them too, but who would have thought the midwest had their S&^% together enough to love catfish.

What is?

How do you season it?
Marinate?

My favorite is pan seared salmon.

I dust it with sea salt and black pepper.

Then I fry it in olive oil on both sides.

My second favorite is tilapia and salsa verde.

I prepare it without any salt or pepper, but otherwise the same as the salmon, then I pour the salsa verde over it in the pan and continue heating it until it comes to a boil and gets rich and thick.

Third favorite is pan seared trout.

In texas offering fish outside the coast that is not fried catfish is fighting words! But yeah I guess the midwest likes them too, but who would have thought the midwest had their S&^% together enough to love catfish.

Catfish is good breaded and deep fried.

This is my favorite in any seafood restaurant.

Goes good with cole slaw and French fries aka "chips".

Compared to FLorida where I was born and lived as a kid, all other states are Northern.

Hawaii is a bit further south though, and way far west too.

Purple Haze Shrimp
Serves 4 as a side, snack, app or light meal with plenty of leftover sauce.
16 16-20 or u-15 GULF shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact.
3 oz unsalted butter
12 ounces pineapple juice
5-6 each habanero chile, stemmed, seeds intact, or more, or less
1 cups red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 teaspoons ginger, dry
1 teaspoons thyme, fresh, divided
4 ounces cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon corn starch (optional)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup pineapple, diced
3 scallions, sliced

To make the sauce.
Put the habaneros, cabbage and onions in a food processor and pulse to chop everything very fine.
Put this mix in a non reactive pot with the pineapple juice, vinegar, ginger, cornstarch, brown sugar, salt and half of the thyme. Bring to a boil then simmer 15 minutes to concentrate the flavors. This is the Purple Haze sauce. Cool and jar it up. It will last, refrigerated for up to one month or more.
To make the dish, use a heavy skillet.
Melt half the butter and then arrange the shrimp in an even layer in the pan. Cook over medium high heat until the shrimp begin to caramelize on one side. You want them golden brown.
Turn the shrimp over and add about 6 oz of sauce. Bring to a boil, then add the rest of the butter. and swirl to melt it in. Spoon our 4 shrimp per person, smothered in sauce.
Garnish wit fresh pineapple, scallions and sprinkle with the remaining thyme!

Enjoy with beer, a fruity cocktail or a glass of cold white wine like the Finger Lakes riesling in the picture. Don’t do red wine!!! It will make the peppers hotter and will also make the cabbage bitter.

This reminds me also of sweet and sour prawns.

Catfish is good breaded and deep fried.

This is my favorite in any seafood restaurant.

Goes good with cole slaw and French fries aka "chips".

In the south thems is fighting words too, needs hush puppies!!!!!!!!!!!! Outside the realm of joking and into the serious, catfish at a seafood place??? unless they are serving saltwater catfish, shouldnt it be lake food?

In the south thems is fighting words too, needs hush puppies!!!!!!!!!!!! Outside the realm of joking and into the serious, catfish at a seafood place??? unless they are serving saltwater catfish, shouldnt it be lake food?

I have not seen hush puppies anywhere since I left Texas.

These are battered balls of potato. Very good too!!

For the record I was only in Texas for a little while. Just long enough to gain an appreciation for The Lone Star State.

I liked Florida better.

But Texas has some warm beaches too especially around South Padre Island -- that's the Miami of Texas.

Back
Top Bottom