• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Scams on Consumers

Crosscheck

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Thought it would be interesting thread of favorite scams you have seen done to consumers.

I'll start with the infamous vehicle cabin air filters.
You can usually find your cabin filter for $15 - $20 at auto parts stores.
I used to change my own oil but like everyone else it seems I have it done at a lube place now.
I don't know how many times I have sat there and watched the technician come into the waiting room and call someone's name.
They then proceed over to them and show them this cabin air filter with parts of leaves and dirt on it. They then asks if the customer would like for them to change it.
And usually the customer must feel embarrased to have such a dirty cabin filter and say yes.
The fee for that change is sometimes $90 to $100 for the part and labor.

In my Subaru I can change it without any tools in a matter of 2 minutes.

Usually it is female customers who are taken on that transaction and I have such an urge to intervene in that conversation.

Car dealers adding nonsense charges over and above the (new) vehicle’s MSRP sticker price (which is already plenty above the actual amount the car cost the dealer).

Thought it would be interesting thread of favorite scams you have seen done to consumers.

I'll start with the infamous vehicle cabin air filters.
You can usually find your cabin filter for $15 - $20 at auto parts stores.
I used to change my own oil but like everyone else it seems I have it done at a lube place now.
I don't know how many times I have sat there and watched the technician come into the waiting room and call someone's name.
They then proceed over to them and show them this cabin air filter with parts of leaves and dirt on it. They then asks if the customer would like for them to change it.
And usually the customer must feel embarrased to have such a dirty cabin filter and say yes.
The fee for that change is sometimes $90 to $100 for the part and labor.

In my Subaru I can change it without any tools in a matter of 2 minutes.

Usually it is female customers who are taken on that transaction and I have such an urge to intervene in that conversation.
$30 for the Cf at the Grismer where I go.

The scam I chuckle at is the extended warranty option on everything you buy.

Yep, if the product’s failure rate is 1 out of 100 (during the warranty period) and the warranty cost is even as low as 5% of the product’s replacement cost then that is very profitable.

IIRC, I was once offered a $20 extended warranty option on a $22 brad nailer purchased at Harbor Freight.

Car dealers adding nonsense charges over and above the (new) vehicle’s MSRP sticker price (which is already plenty above the actual amount the car cost the dealer).

"You folk want to get undercoating to protect that new car?"

The poor clerk is forced to have to ask customers that option for an extended warranty. You can tell sometimes they are almost embarrassed.
They might as well just ask if you like to donate some more money.

Two things come to mind at car dealers.

1) Processing fee.
I refuse to pay a processing fee. They will tell you that it is mandated by the state or the manufacturer. I don’t care, I’m not paying. You pay it out of your part!
2) Now you need to see the finance officer. Nope, we either arrange outside money or pay cash. The finance office is where all the add-ones are pushed by a pretty
good salesperson.

Edit: and I will get my own tags…..

Two things come to mind at car dealers.

1) Processing fee.
I refuse to pay a processing fee. They will tell you that it is mandated by the state or the manufacturer. I don’t care, I’m not paying. You pay it out of your part!
2) Now you need to see the finance officer. Nope, we either arrange outside money or pay cash. The finance office is where all the add-ones are pushed by a pretty
good salesperson.

Edit: and I will get my own tags…..
Processing fee, where in the hell did they come up with that?

It would be like going to the grocery store and after the clerk scans all your items says " $64.39. And I need to add my processing fee of $10".

Processing fee, where in the hell did they come up with that?

It would be like going to the grocery store and after the clerk scans all your items says " $64.39. And I need to add my processing fee of $10".
It’s just another cash grab.

Another is that there is no haggling needed. Bullshit, if you pay what is on the window, you are paying too much. I didn’t invent the new car buying process, but I have gotten better at it. Dealers must hate the internet. I made a deal online for my last new vehicle before I arrived at the showroom. They wanted me to pay 2000 more than the deal I had already made. When I pulled out the e-mail, they said will you meet us in the middle, 1000? NO!

There was another ploy that banks used to try when I was single.

Would you like to buy life insurance on the loan amount?

Why would I do that?

If something happens to you the loan is paid off so that your family doesn’t have to worry.

Ha ha, if I die you all can go whistle!

Back
Top Bottom