• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Portable Shotgun You've Owned

RF667799

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My all time favorite is a Remington Peerless O/U. It's not the highest grade double Remington has ever produced, but it fits me like nothing else. The first 25 straight I ran at ATA trap was with this little field gun and that happened the first round of ATA trap I ever shot. I shot events with it for a good six months and did pretty well. Eventually I decided I needed a dedicated trap gun and bought a BT99, but I still used the little Peerless to shoot doubles on the occasions I entered such an event.

“Gun Control” is a good sight picture!

I had a little mantra I tried to recite to myself in trapshooting as I shouldered the gun. "Head down, see the target break with both eyes and keep your head down, Stupid."

My all time favorite is a Remington Peerless O/U. It's not the highest grade double Remington has ever produced, but it fits me like nothing else. The first 25 straight I ran at ATA trap was with this little field gun and that happened the first round of ATA trap I ever shot. I shot events with it for a good six months and did pretty well. Eventually I decided I needed a dedicated trap gun and bought a BT99, but I still used the little Peerless to shoot doubles on the occasions I entered such an event.

Haven't had a lot of experience with upper tier shotguns. A clapped out Winchester 1897 and a S&W 916 accounted for more of my shotgun experience.

Haven't had a lot of experience with upper tier shotguns. A clapped out Winchester 1897 and a S&W 916 accounted for more of my shotgun experience.

The Peerless isn't what I would call upper tier. It was made to be a popular priced O/U, and a field gun more than a competition gun. It has 3" chambers which I don't think are too common on competition scatterguns. I bought it reasonably from a guy who was a duck hunter who found out an O/U shooting 3" magnums kicks a little more than he liked.

A representative sample of the Peerless.

wm_8543438.jpg

Other than the "tactical" sorts, I'm not sure shotguns in general have as much of a following these days among casual shooters. Rimfires are cheaper to shoot. Handguns have the self defense thing going for them. Centerfire rifles are more glamorous and the AR types have the cool factor.

It's not much fun IMO shooting a shotgun at stationary paper targets. Or even plinking cans and the like. Wingshooting or flying target games are where it's at with shotguns, and it takes a little more dedication and opportunity to participate.

Portable shotgun? Well I guess I started bird hunting when I was about 10 years old. Don't have any idea how many miles I have carried a shotgun behind a bird dog. Guess they were all portable. No problem carrying one for me. Prop it on my shoulder with my right arm draped across the stock. Quite comfortable and quick to shoulder.

S_Quail-Hunters-Best-Small-Photo.jpg

Private-Group-Button-300x200.jpg

wr1828196.jpg

Portable shotgun? Well I guess I started bird hunting when I was about 10 years old. Don't have any idea how many miles I have carried a shotgun behind a bird dog. Guess they were all portable. No problem carrying one for me. Prop it on my shoulder with my right arm draped across the stock. Quite comfortable and quick to shoulder.

How does this apply to gun control ?

Off topic

This is the gun control section.

Piece if information for ya, when I asked if we could have a section on just discussion of firearms they said no and to use this section. So if you don't like it too bad, take it up with Red, good luck. I actually hope you win a new Section, then when you start talking gun control nonsense we can direct you back to this section.

Piece if information for ya, when I asked if we could have a section on just discussion of firearms they said no and to use this section. So if you don't like it too bad, take it up with Red, good luck. I actually hope you win a new Section, then when you start talking gun control nonsense we can direct you back to this section.

Like X1000

Like X1000

It is just the truth, I asked and was told no. Asked for a Prepper Section also a ways back, also told no, bet it would a lot more popular these days.....

Either my .410 I got as a little kid or my grandfather's Browning Semi Auto. Both remind me of simpler times running dogs in a soybean field hunting quail when the biggest concern was what greasy spoon dinner we planned to eat lunch at.

So some folks will stop bitching about gun control not being addressed. With some of the more extreme measures of limiting capacity, amd more liberal interpretations of the made up "assault weapons" term grandfather's Browning could be targeted for confiscation. Luckily there is no paperwork to be traced so the gun is safe from the anti rights authoritarians hands.

Back
Top Bottom