• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

favorite password manager?

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm currently torn between 1Password and Dashlane.

1Password:
Pros - one time license payment of $65.00, syncs across all devices
Cons - doesn't automatically find change-password feature in individual websites.

Dashlane -
Pro - 1. automatically finds change password feature and updates all selected login info for you instantly.
2. absurdly easy login process. Almost too easy. Easy to the point where leaving your computer for five seconds -- in the solitude of your own home -- seems like an enormous security risk.
con - recurring subscription fee of $40/yr. Drip. Drip. Drip...

Thoughts?

I use a piece of paper.

True story.

I think I'm paranoid.

I've been using eWallet on IOS and Windows for a few years. It's just a password locker. You put in the password and look up it up - or alternatively write it to the clipboard. Does sync across IOS devices and my laptop.

I think I paid 2-4 bucks for it. Gets the job done simply and cheaply.

My brain is my password manager. Came free with the OEM.

I use LastPass, completely free. Though to use it on your phone it costs $12/year.

My brain.. whats left of it.

Password savers or whatever they are called, are.. well not safe and frankly not needed. Browsers with cloud sync do it now days.

Passwords are in an Excel worksheet. Between work stuff and personal stuff I'm well over 100 different accounts that require passwords.

I've been using eWallet on IOS and Windows for a few years. It's just a password locker. You put in the password and look up it up - or alternatively write it to the clipboard. Does sync across IOS devices and my laptop.

I think I paid 2-4 bucks for it. Gets the job done simply and cheaply.

I use the password safe in an old Blackberry. I hope it never dies. :D It works well and generates strong passwords for me.

lastpass for web

KeePass for the office

Password savers or whatever they are called, are.. well not safe and frankly not needed. Browsers with cloud sync do it now days.

Why aren't they safe? Or more accurately why are they less safe than writing them on a piece of paper? I have 163 entries in eWallet, about 2/3rds of those are passwords (the rest are account numbers for various things, vehicle registration numbers, insurance policy numbers etc). There is no way I could conceivably remember all of them unless I used the same password everywhere which is a very bad idea. The only alternative would be to write them down and paper is less secure as far as I'm concerned.

I don't use one.

Seems like a bit of a risk to me, but I'm unfamiliar with how they work.

Not sure how it's more secure to leave all your stuff in one place with a single lock than to distribute stuff everywhere with multiple locks.

I use the password safe in an old Blackberry. I hope it never dies. :D It works well and generates strong passwords for me.

I used to do the same for my work passwords since the job gives me a blackberry. It worked well. Moved the work stuff to my iphone as well just to keep everything in one place.

"My brain" was a fantastic way to make and use crap passwords. The only thing protecting me from being hacked by anybody is that I was too unimportant to hack.

I don't use one.

Seems like a bit of a risk to me, but I'm unfamiliar with how they work.

Not sure how it's more secure to leave all your stuff in one place with a single lock than to distribute stuff everywhere with multiple locks.

Not a computer guy, but from what I've gathered none of these password managers keep your actual login and secure info on their servers.

As for the "all the eggs in one basket" fear, I exported my info to a text file, encrypted the bloody Jesus out of it, put it on a usb and put that in a safety deposit box along with my hard drive backup. So sure, you can still steal that from me if a)you think I'm that important and b)you're prepared to go full Hans Gruber to get it.

I use LastPass, completely free. Though to use it on your phone it costs $12/year.

I've just gotten Lastpass and put in one login site. I'm attracted to its super low price but the main factor in my decision making would be auto-password changing. The idea of a password manager automatically finding the password changing part of a website would be yuuuge. However, I'm on the site now and I can't seem to find that feature. Where is it?

Not a computer guy, but from what I've gathered none of these password managers keep your actual login and secure info on their servers.

As for the "all the eggs in one basket" fear, I exported my info to a text file, encrypted the bloody Jesus out of it, put it on a usb and put that in a safety deposit box along with my hard drive backup. So sure, you can still steal that from me if a)you think I'm that important and b)you're fully prepared to go full Hans Gruber to get it.

Well, *I'm* so unimportant I don't even have a safety deposit box.

I've just gotten Lastpass and put in one login site. I'm attracted to its super low price but the main factor in my decision making would be auto-password changing. The idea of a password manager automatically finding the password changing part of a website would be yuuuge. However, I'm on the site now and I can't seem to find that feature. Where is it?

Try this.

As for the "all the eggs in one basket" fear, I exported my info to a text file, encrypted the bloody Jesus out of it, put it on a usb and put that in a safety deposit box along with my hard drive backup. So sure, you can still steal that from me if a)you think I'm that important and b)you're prepared to go full Hans Gruber to get it.

Kind of a pain in the ass if you forget your password.

Kind of a pain in the ass if you forget your password.

As far as I'm concerned, there's always going to be some step in the process that's going to be a pain in the ass, and any effort to mitigate that hassle will be a security flaw to some degree.

Well, *I'm* so unimportant I don't even have a safety deposit box.

The safety deposit box is less about being important and more about whether my place gets burglarized or if it burns down.

As far as I'm concerned, there's always going to be some step in the process that's going to be a pain in the ass, and any effort to mitigate that hassle will be a security flaw to some degree.

The safety deposit box is less about being important and more about whether my place gets burglarized or if it burns down.

Well since you seem to not care about convenience why not just bury it in a box in the middle of the Amazon?

Why aren't they safe? Or more accurately why are they less safe than writing them on a piece of paper? I have 163 entries in eWallet, about 2/3rds of those are passwords (the rest are account numbers for various things, vehicle registration numbers, insurance policy numbers etc). There is no way I could conceivably remember all of them unless I used the same password everywhere which is a very bad idea. The only alternative would be to write them down and paper is less secure as far as I'm concerned.

I was talking passwords only... not registration numbers and that stuff.. I got 3 passwords in total.... a simple "dont give a ****" about one, a more complicated one for games and stuff and a very complicated one for the really secure stuff. Of course remembering which I used where can be an issue! :)

Well since you seem to not care about convenience why not just bury it in a box in the middle of the Amazon?

Because it's too humid there. I get swamp butt easily.

I use paper.

Its features include:

Getting lost.
Inconsistency in labeling of passwords which causes users to forget what it is or what it is for.

It's the best.

Back
Top Bottom