• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Military Vehicles?

That's kinda weak.

Well as you predictably did not say, recon units in the Japan Ground SDF are equipped with off-road motorcycles which are officially called "Reconnaissance Motorcycles." They do not have a "Type ##" designation like most Japanese military hardware -- Type 10 Mitsubishi Main Battle Tank for example. The recon cycle tag refers to two different models, the Honda XLR250R and the Kawasaki KLX250 which is gradually replacing it. Each the manufacturers and the government consistently maintain the motorcycles are civilian models rather than bikes designed specifically for the military.

As an island nation with a defense-only policy, the limited scenarios in which Japanese Ground forces are envisioned to see action is either enemies storming its shores, or more interestingly, when enemy commandos or guerillas infiltrate the island with the intent to sabotage or to capture vital areas of infrastructure (like nuclear reactors, for example).

Additional to reconnaissance, surveillance, intelligence, the motorcycle recon units are trained to be the first responders against enemy special forces commandos given the 3000 strong fast attack motorcycle corps of GSDF is capable to rapidly arrive on scene. Aside from shooting from their bikes as we saw in restricted and limited ways in the video, motorcycle light infantry forces are also trained to use their bikes as shields. Since you are unaware, this is what you saw in the video and in the freezeframe too.

The objective of Japan Ground SDF motorcycle light weapons infantry is to deploy as quickly as possible to delay or stop the enemy for as long as possible until larger and more powerful units arrive. The weapon the soldiers in the video are using is the Howa Type 89, the standard Japanese service rifle which uses the 5.56mm NATO standard ammunition.

So if you have any further unfortunate bouts of confusion or consequent questions feel free to ask as I'd be equally pleased to reply and advise you once again.

Last edited:
Well as you predictably did not say, recon units in the Japan Ground SDF are equipped with off-road motorcycles which are officially called "Reconnaissance Motorcycles." They do not have a "Type ##" designation like most Japanese military hardware -- Type 10 Mitsubishi Main Battle Tank for example. The recon cycle tag refers to two different models, the Honda XLR250R and the Kawasaki KLX250 which is gradually replacing it. Each the manufacturers and the government consistently maintain the motorcycles are civilian models rather than bikes designed specifically for the military.

As an island nation with a defense-only policy, the limited scenarios in which Japanese Ground forces are envisioned to see action is either enemies storming its shores, or more interestingly, when enemy commandos or guerillas infiltrate the island with the intent to sabotage or to capture vital areas of infrastructure (like nuclear reactors, for example).

Additional to reconnaissance, surveillance, intelligence, the motorcycle recon units are trained to be the first responders against enemy special forces commandos given the 3000 strong fast attack motorcycle corps of GSDF is capable to rapidly arrive on scene. Aside from shooting from their bikes as we saw in restricted and limited ways in the video, motorcycle light infantry forces are also trained to use their bikes as shields. Since you are unaware, this is what you saw in the video and in the freezeframe too.

The objective of Japan Ground SDF motorcycle light weapons infantry is to deploy as quickly as possible to delay or stop the enemy for as long as possible until larger and more powerful units arrive. The weapon the soldiers in the video are using is the Howa Type 89, the standard Japanese service rifle which uses the 5.56mm NATO standard ammunition.

So if you have any further unfortunate bouts of confusion or consequent questions feel free to ask as I'd be equally pleased to reply and advise you once again.

Kinda weak.

Were you a rower or what? ;)

Cause we got at least that many rowers right here.

Different yes, just not too different I'm afraid.

Nah, I sailed on the Argo from the comfort of my bedroom, with a nice cup of cocoa. ;)

M-51 Super Sherman repowered M-4's with the good suspension an Cummins diesel motor and a French 105mm gun.

M51-Isherman-latrun-1.jpg

Kinda weak.

You were enlisted personnel of course sans college degree.

I haven't read in any of your posts that you were otherwise. Or that you may have made Sgt. E-5 during your single tour.

The rank of Sgt. E-5 -- if you might have made that -- is anyway below the pay grade of strategists, field commanders, theater commanders, the joint chiefs etc. That is, no one can give respect to your opinions or biases in respect of national security strategy, global security and stability: strategy, operations, tactics.

You haven't any clue of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force and its Motorcycle Corps. It's also the case too your posts are not about the JGSDF Motorcycle Corps of light infantry.

Last edited:
You were enlisted personnel of course sans college degree.

I haven't read in any of your posts that you made Sgt. E-5 during your single tour.

The rank of Sgt. E-5 -- if you might have made that -- is anyway below the pay grade of strategists, field commanders, theater commanders, the joint chiefs etc. That is, no one can give respect to your opinions or biases in respect of national security strategy, global security and stability: strategy, operations, tactics.

You haven't any clue of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force and its Motorcycle Corps. It's also the case too your posts are not about the JGSDF Motorcycle Corps of light infantry.

Pathetic. Further, dumb.

I've always liked a B-17, but I'm not sure why. I'm not even sure why I remembered the name of it. It's the one that has that glass nose thing. I think somebody once told me a story about one or something.

Most US bombers ( actually almost all sides)in WW II had the plexi nose for the bombardier / nose gunner...a few exceptions were The B25 G and H models....they had the plexi nose removed and replaced with several heavy machine guns and in some cases, a cannon as well.....this turned the medium bomber into a large gunship suitable for hitting small Japanese naval vessels and transports.

b25J.jpg800px-B-25H.jpg

Most US bombers ( actually almost all sides)in WW II had the plexi nose for the bombardier / nose gunner...a few exceptions were The B25 G and H models....they had the plexi nose removed and replaced with several heavy machine guns and in some cases, a cannon as well.....this turned the medium bomber into a large gunship suitable for hitting small Japanese naval vessels and transports.

View attachment 67301025View attachment 67301026

Thanks, Bum. That's fascinating!

Reactions: Bum
Israeli modified, right?

If we would've had a bunch of these for the Normandy invasion, they wouldn't have bad mouthed our Sherman.

I like it because it proves indeed a turd can be polished, that old crap can be made to be competitive again. Other than the upgraded suspension all the rest of the upgrades were early 60's era kit. The upgrades made it able to compete with T-54 T55 and T-62 tanks. The tank faired well in the Six Days and Yom Kippur wars.

Pathetic. Further, dumb.

You still haven't said who your professor of geostrategy was in college.

Nor have you named your college prior to signing up and going in. We're talking active duty service here of course, Dave.

Nor have you said who was your professor of global security and geoglobal strategy and security. And you still haven't said who was your professor of military science while you were a cadet officer candidate in college before you went in.

Oh that's right, and do pardon me on these points, because none of this applies to you which leaves you carping out of your arse. Meaning you don't know the first thing about motorcycles in war or the Japan Ground SDF and the concept, strategy, operational plan of the country's Mototcycle Light Weapons Infantry Corps of 3000 motorcyclists and the defense of Japan against a foreign invader.

You make clear you've missed the fact Japan is in the worst neighborhood of the world what with NK right across the East Sea from Japan, China right there and Russia too. In fact, Dave, Japan just a few years ago completed the shifting of the bulk of its armed self defense force from the North against Russia to the South against 21st century fascist China. Indeed, Dave, China's favorite military vehicle appears to be you, Dave. Not to mention Russia. And of course there's NK. Then again Dave and as I'd said none of this is about any of 'em izzit.

Dave.

Howard Zinn

You're trying now to tell me Howard Zinn was professor of national security and strategic studies to include international security and global stability when Zinn was in fact a Soviet radical left wing political hack ideologue who was a plane ride away from eloping with Jane Fonda and relocating to Hanoi with Uncle Ho. And serving lemonaide along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

That wuz after you Dave had served time in VN of course while voting for Nixon whose secret plan of the 1968 election to end the war was to wait until after his reelection in 1972 cause Nixon himself said he would not become the first president to lose a war. That's your guy Nixon Dave who himself with Kissinger kept the war going for 6 more years -- until Congress denied funding of it.

Which brings you and I back to the fact you Dave haven't any clue of the Japan Ground Self Defense Force Motorcycle Corps of Light Weapons Infantry and their vital role as Japan's first responders to a pre invasion assault by the special forces and operations troops of an enemy nation that would almost assuredly be the Chicoms when the always screwball Chicoms believe they are ready for such an insane undertaking.

Yet the fact is Dave that the Chicoms would take such a severe beating if they ever attempted to assault and invade Taiwan they'd never in another million years be capable to assault or invade Japan much less to seize a Japanese island such as the Senkaku island group which the boastful Chicom loudmouths of Xi Jinping call the Daiyotai.

Already Dave the Chicoms announced out of the blue in 2014 their Air Defense Identification Zone over the Senkaku/Daiyotai so on the second day the US flew two unarmed B-52 through it just to let Beijing know their new ADIZ against Japan was a loudmouth Chinaman's wet dream. Regularly since the US flies AF and Navy planes through it, often with Japanese and South Korean fighter planes while each of the three allied countries flies individually through the Chinaman's swiss cheese ADIZ. Beijing has btw stopped yapping about establishing an ADIZ over the South China Sea -- for reasons that are obvious swiss cheese geostrategically.

Dave.

If I can call you Dave thx.

Jeep.

Willys-MB-Jeep-GREEN.jpg

You're trying now to tell me Howard Zinn was professor of national security and strategic studies to include international security and global stability when Zinn was in fact a Soviet radical left wing political hack ideologue who was a plane ride away from eloping with Jane Fonda and relocating to Hanoi with Uncle Ho. And serving lemonaide along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

That wuz after you Dave had served time in VN of course while voting for Nixon whose secret plan of the 1968 election to end the war was to wait until after his reelection in 1972 cause Nixon himself said he would not become the first president to lose a war. That's your guy Nixon Dave who himself with Kissinger kept the war going for 6 more years -- until Congress denied funding of it.

Which brings you and I back to the fact you Dave haven't any clue of the Japan Ground Self Defense Force Motorcycle Corps of Light Weapons Infantry and their vital role as Japan's first responders to a pre invasion assault by the special forces and operations troops of an enemy nation that would almost assuredly be the Chicoms when the always screwball Chicoms believe they are ready for such an insane undertaking.

Yet the fact is Dave that the Chicoms would take such a severe beating if they ever attempted to assault and invade Taiwan they'd never in another million years be capable to assault or invade Japan much less to seize a Japanese island such as the Senkaku island group which the boastful Chicom loudmouths of Xi Jinping call the Daiyotai.

Already Dave the Chicoms announced out of the blue in 2014 their Air Defense Identification Zone over the Senkaku/Daiyotai so on the second day the US flew two unarmed B-52 through it just to let Beijing know their new ADIZ against Japan was a loudmouth Chinaman's wet dream. Regularly since the US flies AF and Navy planes through it, often with Japanese and South Korean fighter planes while each of the three allied countries flies individually through the Chinaman's swiss cheese ADIZ. Beijing has btw stopped yapping about establishing an ADIZ over the South China Sea -- for reasons that are obvious swiss cheese geostrategically.

Dave.

If I can call you Dave thx.

More weakness.

WW-Malaya-5-HTMar04.jpg

Second to the invention of the wheel was the jeep.

Only problem with the jeep was you had to handle it carefully each time while braking. Making a turn was especially risky.

The highly technical article that discusses this notes that the faster you drove the more dangerous braking became which affected the steering. The harder you braked the stronger the pull of the steering into oncoming traffic. So this engineering flaw that wasn't ever corrected also made the jeep a military vehicle that had to be slower than you'd want it to be in a pinch.

Still however the jeep's pluses far outweighed the one aspect that gave it an otherwise simple to manage limitation, sort of like Kentucky windage.

The Legendary World War II Jeep Had A Dangerous Engineering Flaw

You haven't any argument.

Only arbitrary pronouncements.

And summary statements that are declarations.

With pictures.

As if you were either God or someone in a hurry to hit and run.

We are talking about the Japan Ground Self Defense Force in 2020 and its Motorcycle Corps of Light Weapons Infantry Soldiers who are the first responders to an invasion by a foreign enemy to include enemy airborne or seaborne special operations forces that need to be countered by the effective first responders that the 3000 troops are of the Ground Force Motorcycle Corps.

You haven't said anything that is even remotely military. Indeed all you've got is Howard Zinn and Jane Fonda eloping to join Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi. And I had to help you with it besides.

You haven't any argument.

Only arbitrary pronouncements.

And summary statements that are declarations.

With pictures.

As if you were either God or someone in a hurry to hit and run.

We are talking about the Japan Ground Self Defense Force in 2020 and its Motorcycle Corps of Light Weapons Infantry Soldiers who are the first responders to an invasion by a foreign enemy to include enemy airborne or seaborne special operations forces that need to be countered by the effective first responders that the 3000 troops are of the Ground Force Motorcycle Corps.

You haven't said anything that is even remotely military. Indeed all you've got is Howard Zinn and Jane Fonda eloping to join Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi. And I had to help you with it besides.

Thanks for the comic relief.

Thanks for the comic relief.

While I like to leave 'em laughing you're outdoing me at this thread and topic hands down.

Your hit and run drive by posts are a riot.

And I'd bet you still love the smell of napalm in the morning -- drifting over from the civilian villages.

Back
Top Bottom