• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Military Vehicles?

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ontos.jpg

The Ontos. It mounted 6 105mm recoiless rifles.

It was originally made for army paratroops but after they developed it, they turned it down. It's role was to be a tank destroyer.

The marines picked it up and ordered like 300. And it was to see some action in Vietnam.

Since the recoiless rifles didn't have any recoil, it could fire all six at one time. It was like calling in an artillery strike.

On the top of each recoiless rifle, you can see a rifle. These were targeting rifles, they would fire a tracer that match the trajectory of the recoiless rifle so that you'd know when you were on target.

The marines used it as infantry support.

The main problem with it was the armor was too thin, especially the bottom, which made it susceptible to mines.

Ontos.jpg

It was originally made for army paratroops but after they developed it, they turned it down. It's role was to be a tank destroyer.

The marines picked it up and ordered like 300. And it was to see some action in Vietnam.

Since the recoiless rifles didn't have any recoil, it could fire all six at one time. It was like calling in an artillery strike.

On the top of each recoiless rifle, you can see a rifle. These were targeting rifles, they would fire a tracer that match the trajectory of the recoiless rifle so that you'd know when you were on target.

The main problem with it was the armor was too thin, especially the bottom, which made it susceptible to mines.
I've got to admit, that's a pretty cool device!

Hummer H1 with a DuraMax swap and an Allison six speed slushbox.

Ontos.jpg

Reloading must have sucked.

Very broad category, but I'm going to say the Israeli Merkava tank. It's how I would design a tank, although only if I was not following the US/NATO Air-Land Battle doctrine.

GAMA GOAT!

Not really, this was my vehicle for two years. It had six wheels, front and rear steering and the engine was located just behind the driver and passenger. Prolonged driving on a hard surface road woul put the driver to sleep. It was supposed to be amphibious; the thought was that the propulsion of the front and rear drive coupled with aggressive treatment tires would propel the vehicle through the water. Most that attempted this took on water and sank.

My Father in Law was with the Armored Infantry from North Africa through Germany.
I once asked him a similar question, and he said the tank destroyers and the crews that ran them were his heroes.
The way he described it, the Sherman's had to lead the German tanks into their line of fire,
and they could take out anything the Germans had.
He also mentioned they were very exposed in the open turret.

I would love one of these Restomod 6x6s.

The Dodge WC62 is based on the Dodge WC51. At one point during World War II, the US army did need a vehicle which could carry more soldiers than the WC51 could do. The WC62 was designed as a stretched WC51, with a extra axle.

On the road the WC62 is a 2 wheel drive vehicle. The front axle and the 3the axle can be powered (separately) when driving off-road. So the vehicle can be driven in a 6x2, 6x4 and 6x6 formula.

The WC63 is a WC62 equiped with a Braden MY2 7500 pound winch.

In total 23 092 vehicles (WC62 & WC63) have been build.

After WW II, a large number of these vehicles where used by European armies. (France, Norway, …)

Some of these vehicles did have a second career at local fire brigades.

Restomod vehicles
WC63 resto mod

The Dodge WC62 and WC63 where never sold on the civilian marked. A number of decommissioned army vehicles were converted to civilian vehicles. The cab form a 1950’s power wagon does fit on the the frame of a WC62/WC63.

dodge-wc63-restomod.jpg

Last edited:
Ontos.jpg

I saw one of these being used on perimeter defense near Da Nang. Mean looking.

My favorite military vehicle has always been the Enola Gay (B29 - 45 MO Superfortress serial number 44-86292)

6ac9d06a78a67269ce24f026fc871804.jpg

The M 973 SUSV ( Small Unit Support Vehicle).....it was my very first military vehicle at my first duty station in Alaska.....and it was just so much fun to drive. :)

Maintenance, on the other hand.....not so much,

susv.jpg

GAMA GOAT!

Not really, this was my vehicle for two years. It had six wheels, front and rear steering and the engine was located just behind the driver and passenger. Prolonged driving on a hard surface road woul put the driver to sleep. It was supposed to be amphibious; the thought was that the propulsion of the front and rear drive coupled with aggressive treatment tires would propel the vehicle through the water. Most that attempted this took on water and sank.

I hated the Goat....it was prone to tipping and it was just plain LOUD; the last time I saw one of these still being used was by the Missouri DNR as a brush fire fighting transport in the late 90's.

My book has the Kawasaki Japan Army Infantry Fast Attack Motorcycle 2020 Line

Fast Attack Army Motorcycle Acrobatic Demonstration

Japan Ground Self Defense Force

Including Fast Attack Motorcycle Light Infantry Firing & Maneuver Tactics

Music in this video includes Theme From Top Gun by Kenny Loggins; Mission Impossible Theme.

Japan Ground SDF (Army) has 3000 of these suckers. Defend against an invading military force. Kill 'em right there on the ground faster and cheaper ha. Goes easy on fuel and maintenance too. Also used for recon, surveillance, intelligence (SIR).

Kawasaki says it simply sells its standard make motorcycle to the Army and that there's nothing different or special about these except they're painted Army green. Some folk say otherwise, given this model is the KLX250. Either way we know Japanese Army motorcycles and bicycles in WW II were effective for their stealth, mobility, element of surprise. Being's how we're on the same side for a long time now this is definitely to our advantage which is good.

Last edited:
I've always liked a B-17, but I'm not sure why. I'm not even sure why I remembered the name of it. It's the one that has that glass nose thing. I think somebody once told me a story about one or something.

1603429658756.png

My favorite military vehicle has always been the Enola Gay (B29 - 45 MO Superfortress serial number 44-86292)

6ac9d06a78a67269ce24f026fc871804.jpg

Jester, does that plane still exists somewhere? It is in a museum or was it scrapped?

Jester, does that plane still exists somewhere? It is in a museum or was it scrapped?

Yes, the Enola Gay has been restored as a static display and is at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum at Washington-Dulles airport. Of the nearly 4,000 B-29s build during WW2 only 26 remain, and of those only two are currently airworthy (Fifi and Doc).

The Pz 38(T) light tank. I just love the look of it. There's no accounting for taste! As proof of that, I also like the Soviet T-35 "Land Battleship" which was a big, beautiful, seven-turreted, piece of crap! But the Pz 38(T) is still my favorite.image.jpeg
Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Err, brain fart. The T-35 had five titters, not seven.

Back
Top Bottom