• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Christmas Hymns & Songs

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas.
Hippopotamus Poop GIF - Hippopotamus Hippo Poop GIFs

I had not heard this one, but it quickly shot up to becoming one of my favorites.

A lot of the most popular Christmas hymns are quite fun to play. Some of them are quite simple (O Holy Night is easier to play than to sing, Silent Night, Away in a Manger), but you can also find quite a few arrangements have really cool counterpoint (Angels We Have Heard on High is the most obvious) or slide out of key in really neat ways (What Child Is This?, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen).

I really enjoy playing the more anthem-inspired sections and the modulation, probably because the slower, chordal style fits with how I approach playing the piano more than thinking of everything in terms of voices, melodies, and counterpoint. I'm not a very good piano player, but I've really enjoyed giving it a try these past few weeks.

You're All I Want for Christmas - Brook Benton

Nothing compares to The Nutcracker.
This is what Christmas music is all about!

Every time I hear this song I feel bad for Clyde McPhatter:

McPhatter returned to the U.S. in 1970, making a few appearances in rock-and-roll revival tours, but lived mostly as a recluse. Hopes for a major comeback with a Decca album were crushed on June 13, 1972, when he died in his sleep at the age of 39, of complications of heart, liver, and kidney disease, brought on by alcohol abuse – behavior fueled by a failed career and resentment he harbored towards the fans he felt deserted him.

I’ve been fortunate to have seen both Sarah McLachlan and Diana Krall live. This is my wife’s favorite Christmas song and it’s grown on me, too. A lovely arrangement. Sarah singing, Diana on the piano.

I hate the highfalutin stuff. I prefer the garden variety Xmas music that gets piped through in malls:
I have very eclectic tastes in Christmas music. I love some of the sacred music, but a couple of days ago I heard this song on the radio and found it charming.

"Mistletoe"
Justin Bieber

I have very eclectic tastes in Christmas music. I love some of the sacred music, but a couple of days ago I heard this song on the radio and found it charming.

"Mistletoe"
Justin Bieber

Ugh, anyone but him!

I like the Josh Groban version!
I just heard Josh Groban's version on the radio a few days ago. I do not remember ever hearing it before, but I was very impressed. I usually like classical singers, but his voice was great; his version was fluid and melodious; and he sang it as if he meant every word of it.

Nat King Cole was an amazing person. Even suffering with lung cancer, he still performed right to the end in order to benefit his family. The song L-O-V-E, which I often sing to my niece, he recorded right before he died. The Christmas song is a classic, which no one has ever done better:

Back
Top Bottom