• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Breakfast Chain Restaurants

Which is your go-to breakfast chain?

• Total voters
I guess IHOP, not that it's great but it's the only one I go to more then once a year that's on the list.

Usually get up too late to want breakfast, and the days do work in the morning, only have time to grab and good, so breakfast places only really get visited when I get coupons.

I've only ever eaten at a Denny's, Ihop and Waffle House. Of those 3 the Waffle House won, it was quite the experience.

Scattered, Smothered, and Covered! ;)

(Being intoxicated at 3am never hurts the experience, either) :mrgreen:

Waffle House, but only when in the south. Gotta have a good southern line cook makin' the grits.

The one thing I don't miss about America is breakfast.

1. You overcook your streaky bacon.
2. Pour Maple syrup over everything.
3. You have Pancakes with your savory option, essentially having a desert.
4. Your sausages are a disgrace.
5. No beans.

For shame.

First time I went to London I ordered a full English breakfast at a hotel. When it arrived it had a pile of canned beans with the plate. That was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. Later on I learned that the English developed a taste for canned beans because they were from surplus American rations from the war. When it comes to cuisine in Europe, the English are dead last for a reason.

Denny's is actually pretty decent. They've improved... which is rare these days for a chain... from what they were 20 years ago. I also like IHOP. Either one would depend on what I want, though. IHOP for waffles/pancakes/french toast, Denny's for meat/potatoes/eggs.

I've only eaten at a Cracker Barrel twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast. Everybody raves about it, but I found it seriously underwhelming both times.

Only eaten at a Waffle House once, and don't remember much. There's just not one handy to me, pretty much ever. I want to try it again.

First time I went to London I ordered a full English breakfast at a hotel. When it arrived it had a pile of canned beans with the plate. That was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. Later on I learned that the English developed a taste for canned beans because they were from surplus American rations from the war. When it comes to cuisine in Europe, the English are dead last for a reason.
Yeah, no kidding. I like the Brits, but them critiquing our food... shoot, anybody's food... is not to be taken seriously.

Times have changed my friend, London has more Michellin stars than Paris.

I may not have the most popular opinion here, hear me out. I really enjoy eating breakfast at either small chain restaurants, or at local single location restaurants. So my boat is not my favorite breakfast, but I voted for Denny's.

The reason is one out of all your selections on the pole I've only eaten at Denny's and IHOP, and I consider them to be equal. However as a commercial driver I have the Denny's commercial driver discount card which gets me discounts on Denny's meals. And having been around the country, I can appreciate having consistent quality and going into a restaurant in knowing when you order what you're going to get.

This is me as well. I will always look for a good local place. as they seem to care more about what they serve.

i like the independents that you generally find yourself making a highway stop at in the middle of the night. they are all over the midwest, or at least they are in my state. my favorite is a place in my hometown that specializes in breakfast / diner-style awesomeness, and is only open every day until early afternoon. i always get the biscuits and gravy.

i like the independents that you generally find yourself making a highway stop at in the middle of the night. they are all over the midwest, or at least they are in my state. my favorite is a place in my hometown that specializes in breakfast / diner-style awesomeness, and is only open every day until early afternoon. i always get the biscuits and gravy.

They're unfortunately getting harder to find, now that most truck stops are big chains, they usually either franchise a chain (like Flying J has Dennys at most of their stops) or operate their own restaurant (T/A and Country Pride) even the travel stops are getting harder, but there are a few, like Heaven on Earth in Oregon being an example.

The one thing I don't miss about America is breakfast.

1. You overcook your streaky bacon.
2. Pour Maple syrup over everything.
3. You have Pancakes with your savory option, essentially having a desert.
4. Your sausages are a disgrace.
5. No beans.

For shame.

Well the Canadians taught us a good many things, maple syrup is one of them, too bad you brits didn't pick that up from your other colonies

:2usflag: + :2canadian > :2ukflag:

This is all.

They're unfortunately getting harder to find, now that most truck stops are big chains, they usually either franchise a chain (like Flying J has Dennys at most of their stops) or operate their own restaurant (T/A and Country Pride) even the travel stops are getting harder, but there are a few, like Heaven on Earth in Oregon being an example.

anything at truck stops is usually interesting and worth a shot. chicken fried steak, and stuff like that. The Iron Skillet is a fairly decent regional chain. however, around here, you can usually find good independents not too far off of the beaten path, and not just breakfast places. for example, my hometown has two non-chain burger joints that have survived multiple economic crises and deindustrialization really well. one of them feels like a 1960s family fast food restaurant that managed to hold on into the 20-teens, and the other is a greasy spoon that makes the entire block smell like fried onions every day at lunch and dinner. it's awesome. i go to both whenever i can, though work keeps me away from my town more than i'd prefer.

Since even truck stops are allowed - nudie bars. Usually, best food for miles around.

Times have changed my friend, London has more Michellin stars than Paris.

And I would bet those places dont serve British cuisine either...

anything at truck stops is usually interesting and worth a shot. chicken fried steak, and stuff like that. The Iron Skillet is a fairly decent regional chain. however, around here, you can usually find good independents not too far off of the beaten path, and not just breakfast places. for example, my hometown has two non-chain burger joints that have survived multiple economic crises and deindustrialization really well. one of them feels like a 1960s family fast food restaurant that managed to hold on into the 20-teens, and the other is a greasy spoon that makes the entire block smell like fried onions every day at lunch and dinner. it's awesome. i go to both whenever i can, though work keeps me away from my town more than i'd prefer.

See Having driven over the road for a year (and likely I'll be going back to driving over the road soon) I have a differing opinion, I never like Iron Skillet/Country Pride. I'm willing to allow for the idea that maybe they're run better in the Midwest, but on the West Coast I found them sorely lacking. I've eaten at several different Iron Skillets, Phoenix Oregon, Corning California, Wheeler Ridge California, and Sparks Nevada, wasn't happy with any of them.

Anyone who chose something not Cracker Barrel hates kittens and is loved by no one.

Myself being rather partial, since I was a GM/Chef of one, I'm offended that you don't have the absolute best

Original Pancake House

The Original Pancake House

I am still mulling opening one of these bad boys up myself..

Funny thing is the city I'm thinking of opening one (San Diego) has one owned by the very same nemesis I faced here in the Chicagoland area.

Walker Bros. Original Pancake House

The brand's #1 Franchisee, thus unfairly in my opinion allowed the luxury of the distinguishing name added to it.

Jan 2006

I was voted #3 Breakfast eatery and #3 best Pancakes in the Chicagoland area

Walker Bros were #1 and #2

Lemme have their budget and have a rematch...I'd murdelize the bums...

Dutch Baby, Apple Pancakes are iconic... Irish Omelette with the house made corned beef hash, dynamite righteous...

And I would bet those places dont serve British cuisine either...

No they do, British cuisine has come along way in the past 20 years.

Gastro pub revolution has gone a long way in changing the menu from the traditional British pub grub, we boast some of the worlds best Cheese, Game, Seafood ( especially oysters) and our desserts/pies are world famous. Come back over and try some food!

But we still pour canned beans on our breakfasts :mrgreen:

OK, now that we got the pizza and burger joints out of the way, it's time to poll your fav breakfast place.

Which do you go to and what do you order? :chew:

hDEXydJ.jpg

The honest answer is: None of the above. If I'm going to get breakfast, it's at my local diner or I'm going to make it myself. But if I am going to a chain place, I've not had awful experiences at Waffle House and the Cracker Barrel. I like Cracker Barrel's sawmill gravy (It's far from perfect, but it gets the job done) and their white grits are acceptable (But I prefer yellow corn grits, and one day I'd love to try blue corn grits). Biscuits or whole wheat toast ranges from time to time; bacon is always hit or miss when you go out. Waffle House, at least the ones I've been to, have decent waffles and acceptable eggs. I have had awful experiences getting non-breakfast food at the Cracker Barrel though. I pretty much trust them to do breakfast foods at that's all, since they're generally made fresh. Local diners tend, again, to fair better because I think they're usually pretty much on top of things, and frankly their pancakes, biscuits, gravies, eggs, bacon, etc, are almost always top notch, and I like having solid selections for breakfast when I go out.

But again, my breakfast >> local diner >>>>> any chain restaurant.

Last edited:
See Having driven over the road for a year (and likely I'll be going back to driving over the road soon) I have a differing opinion, I never like Iron Skillet/Country Pride. I'm willing to allow for the idea that maybe they're run better in the Midwest, but on the West Coast I found them sorely lacking. I've eaten at several different Iron Skillets, Phoenix Oregon, Corning California, Wheeler Ridge California, and Sparks Nevada, wasn't happy with any of them.

not as good as the independents, but there is one location in my area that is consistently pretty good. of course, i never get the buffet. i'd rather have one plate of good food than ten plates of ok food.

Back
Top Bottom