• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Book Series

The game of thrones (song of fire and ice) is great.
Harry Turtledove had the "in the Balance" series that was good.
James P Hogan Giant's series (3 books) very good hard SF

If you enjoy sci-fi/fantasy with a twist of humor Piers Anthony wrote a couple of good series: Incarnations of Immortality and Xanth were both good

Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Dune series by Frank Herbert.

It's been years, but if I recall correctly, I didn't make it through the first book. Couldn't tell you why now, but rarely is there a book I don't finish, so there had to have been a reason.

I was raised by parents who got me interested in reading by feeding me Hardy Boys books non-stop. Because of that, I've always loved thrillers to pass the time and on lazy summer days.

In the thriller mode, I do like several authors, but if you want a series of books, John Sanford's "Prey" series is extensive and quite good.

One of my favorite works of science fiction is the 4 book series Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

It's been years, but if I recall correctly, I didn't make it through the first book. Couldn't tell you why now, but rarely is there a book I don't finish, so there had to have been a reason.

I love Muad'dib, the character, the story, everything. And the universe is great. I like the first books a lot. I didn't read the whole series (I think I went halfway to Emperor of Dune), and I didn't get a chance to read the stuff his son published.

i guess I stopped being in love with SF as I found myself immersed in the tragical beauty that are the works of the russian classics.

I liked the first couple of books but then they just started getting too weird for my taste.

Sci-fi - the Culture novels of Iain M. Banks (RIP)
Crime - the Dave Robicheaux novels of James Lee Burke
Fantasy - Song Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones) by George RR Martin
Literary - the East Indies novels and short stories of Joseph Conrad

Also, Lee Childs Jack Reacher series. Excellent stuff.

They made a movie recently from the book One Shot though I haven't seen it yet. I just can't imagine Cruise playing a 6' plus tall huge ex-MP.....

Song of Fire and Ice is an excellent series, by George RR Martin.

The Drizzt Do'Urden books by Salvadore are great.

And then, you might try The Sandman series of graphic novels, comics, yes, but excellent writing, by Niel Gieman.

The Bourne Trilogy is fantastic. I was "ehhh" over the movies but the books were fantastic.

Shogun is on of my personal favorites. It's around 1k pages and I finished it in one day...couldn't put it down.

The Alex Cross series by James Patterson

The Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel

Anything by Ken Follett ;)

Hitchhikers Guide series.

The movie was not so good. The old British series was better as is the book series, natch.

You might think I'm nuts but I loved the Harry Potter series!
58 yrs old & reading kids? books!!:2razz:

We must be awfully close in age if you haven't had your 59th yet this year.

Looking for some good book series suggestions if you have any. Any genre welcome.

Im partial to scifi so:

Vaughn Heppner - Invasion America Series, Doom Star Series
Peter F Hamilton - Confederacy Universe
Hugh Howey - Silo Saga

10-11-54. Older than dirt.:lol:

I can still recall a time when it was rocks.

But you are still older than me by nearly an entire month.

If you enjoy sci-fi/fantasy with a twist of humor Piers Anthony wrote a couple of good series: Incarnations of Immortality and Xanth were both good

Xanth got a little weird after about 5 or 6 books, IMO. The Incarnations series was quite good, though.

Back
Top Bottom