• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite 22 rimfire rifle you own or have owned.

Plinkers delight. Which one is your favorite?
I like the The Remington Model 597, but the Ruger 10/22 is also a very nice plinker, as is a Marlin model 60.

10/22. I don't know if there has ever been more after market stuff made for any other firearm.

The Ruger 10/22 is IMO the best 22LR of all time and the one essential rifle EVERY person should own.

I give all of my grandkids their first 10/22 on the Christmas following their 8th birthday. It is a Dad/kid gift so the parents can teach safe handling and use of the weapon...that then goes to the grandkid as theirs on their 18th birthday.

1988 or 1989 Marlin with a scope. it's a good gun. i still have it, but the scope has been lost. the regular sight isn't bad. i think it holds like 17 rounds. i need to take it apart and clean it, as it hasn't been fired since the 1990s.

my folks got it for me after my grandfather's 1913 single shot rabbit gun backfired after we got it rebuilt by a professional. i was deaf for about two days. i'm lucky it didn't blind me. i still have that one, too. that taught me a lot about gun safety. i think it could still be fired, but the chamber doesn't fully seal sometimes. you'd have to really check it. i wouldn't risk it again, though. it's ornamental now.

"Engineered by the man who designed the AR 15, this takedown rimfire rifle was conceptualized as a survival gun for Air Force pilots. They’re reliable, accurate, and the ideal behind-the-truck-seat rifle. The AR 7 is also offered in a survival kit for $550 with a bunch of good-day-gone-bad goodies including a Buck knife, food bars, and a space blanket."

19644-DEFAULT-l.jpg

"Engineered by the man who designed the AR 15, this takedown rimfire rifle was conceptualized as a survival gun for Air Force pilots. They’re reliable, accurate, and the ideal behind-the-truck-seat rifle. The AR 7 is also offered in a survival kit for $550 with a bunch of good-day-gone-bad goodies including a Buck knife, food bars, and a space blanket."

And have you owned one?

Reread the OP.

"Now more than 50 years old, this little semi-automatic rimfire has become the gold standard by which all 22 rifles are judged. A tremendous value for the dollar, the 10/22 is available in a multitude of configurations including takedown and target models. It is also one of the most customizable rimfire rifles ever created. Any boy with designs on becoming a real man should grow up with one, and every father should spend his money on one."

download.jpg

"Now more than 50 years old, this little semi-automatic rimfire has become the gold standard by which all 22 rifles are judged. A tremendous value for the dollar, the 10/22 is available in a multitude of configurations including takedown and target models. It is also one of the most customizable rimfire rifles ever created. Any boy with designs on becoming a real man should grow up with one, and every father should spend his money on one."

Have you owned one?

Plinkers delight. Which one is your favorite?

Thats going to be a tight race.....My first rifle, a Savage Stevens model 89 lever action single shot that was given to me by my Grandmother; and the rifle I still have ( passed to my daughter ) a Marlin model 60 I bought second hand in the late 70's...both are great starter rifles.

This one.

I believe one of my nephews owns it now.

Ruger 10/22

1920px-Ruger_10-22.jpg

A serious small game rifle. (not mine in the picture)

Marlin 39A was probably my favorite for sheer fun. I have a Winchester 62A that is a lot of fun as well. A Savage Mod 19 NRA Match rifle I currently own is probably the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever owned. Probably because I once passed up a chance at a nice Remington 541.

Ruger 10/22. own three, one is the takedown with OMG a flash suppressor, the other to are the basic carbine, one is still original the other has and after market folding stock, all are excellent little rifles and dependable as sin. Plus the after market is Big for these rifles, almost as much as AR 15s which is saying a lot.

stainlessRAR-L.jpg

Marlin 39A was probably my favorite for sheer fun. I have a Winchester 62A that is a lot of fun as well. A Savage Mod 19 NRA Match rifle I currently own is probably the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever owned. Probably because I once passed up a chance at a nice Remington 541.

I actually passed on an older 39A about 15 years ago, simply because the furniture was in such poor condition...had it been better maintained, it would be in my rifle safe now.

[]

Spamming.

For my first .22 rifle that was to be my very own (a birthday gift), I was down to a choice between a Ruger 10/22 or a Remington Nylon 66. I chose the Remington- probably because the their ad campaign at the time that had one of their company "trick" shooters sitting atop the pile of wooden blocks he had set the new record for hitting when thrown in the air. With a couple Nylon 66s. You were supposed to get one of those blocks with a bullet hole in it when you bought a Nylon 66. Mine didn't come with one. :(

For my first .22 rifle that was to be my very own (a birthday gift), I was down to a choice between a Ruger 10/22 or a Remington Nylon 66. I chose the Remington- probably because the their ad campaign at the time that had one of their company "trick" shooters sitting atop the pile of wooden blocks he had set the new record for hitting when thrown in the air. With a couple Nylon 66s. You were supposed to get one of those blocks with a bullet hole in it when you bought a Nylon 66. Mine didn't come with one. :(

I remember that ad campaign.

A friend had a Nylon 66. Awesome rifle for its day.

"These rifles might be the best example of modern American gun making. They are reliable, accurate, and affordable. They’re also available chambered in the 22 LR, 22 Magnum, and 17 HMR. And, you can choose between compact or standard length models, with or without sights, and with either a synthetic, wood, or laminated target style stock. The 22 LR rifle models feed from Ruger 10/22 magazines and the trigger is user adjustable from 3 to 5 pounds."

download.jpg

CZ 455 American.

I actually passed on an older 39A about 15 years ago, simply because the furniture was in such poor condition...had it been better maintained, it would be in my rifle safe now.

I think that I traded a 1911 Combat Commander in 9mm for the one I had. Been a long time ago. Mine was like new, and was still in new appearing condition (but with several thousand rounds down the tube) when I traded it off in its turn several months later. In my early 20s I didn't have the money to pursue every gun I wanted to experience, and so I was forced to trade a lot.

I remember that ad campaign.

A friend had a Nylon 66. Awesome rifle for its day.

They also advertised that it was favored by Alaskan trappers for its reliability and that it could run dry because of the natural lube qualities of the nylon receiver. I liked the futuristic looks at that time too. I often wish I had chose the Ruger later on though.

I still have the Ruger I got as a kid. That beast has been dropped in mud, seen the bottom of a creek or two, and has been run over. Old girl may not be the best looking anymore but she still manages to find the 10's whenever I take her out.

"These rifles might be the best example of modern American gun making. They are reliable, accurate, and affordable. They’re also available chambered in the 22 LR, 22 Magnum, and 17 HMR. And, you can choose between compact or standard length models, with or without sights, and with either a synthetic, wood, or laminated target style stock. The 22 LR rifle models feed from Ruger 10/22 magazines and the trigger is user adjustable from 3 to 5 pounds."

View attachment 67290929

CZ 455 American.

Now replaced by the 457 American.

Let see what I have?

Ruger 10/22
Ruger Super Single Six (5 1/2 inch barrel, "convertible" to .22WMR
Ruger Mark III (stainless)
Winchester Model 62 pump action
J.C. Higgins (made for Sears Roebuck by Marlin) Model 10316 (bolt action, same as Marlin model 80)
J. Stevens model 66 bolt action

My favorite is the J.C. Higgins. Way more accurate than any .22LR bolt action I have ever fired. Unlike the Ruger 10/22 which is only good for plinking, the J.C. Higgens is an excellent choice for hunting small game. Good enough with just the iron sights to do head shots on squirrels and raccoons from 40 yards.

But the Ruger Super Single Six is a lot of fun. Single action western style always are.

My next mission is to find a WW2 vintage.22LR High Standard H-D Military (suppressed) like the OSS (later CIA) carried. Hard to find a vintage one, good luck finding a suppressed model.

Back
Top Bottom