• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite 22 rimfire rifle you own or have owned.

"If you want to shoot the center out of a nickel at 100 yards with a 22, this is the single shot for you. Built by bolt-action rifle genius Melvin Forbes of West Virginia, it comes on a proprietary, hand-machined action with dual extractors. A Douglas barrel and a Timney trigger are standard, and it’s available in right and left hand, weighs less than six pounds, and comes with Talley one-piece scope mounts."

New Ultra Light Arms Model 20RF

25753933_2.jpg

Anyone else actually owned a .22 rimfire rifle?

"Regarded by many as the premier rimfire rifle ever built, unfortunately they’re now only available through the Marlin Custom Shop. And, a new one in the Extra Fancy version that is offered will wear your wallet out. You can find used 39As in a variety of configurations for around $500. The real find – the one small game hunters pine for – is the TDS (take-down-special) version with a 16.25-inch barrel."

Marlin 39A

unnamed.jpg

The ammo restrictions were rather silly given the whole 22LR issue.

Right now .22LR is harder to find than just about any other caliber. I've recently tried several times to get a few thousand rounds shipped only to be emailed by my favorite supplier it is out of stock. They said they get a shipment and then online it sells out in about a minute.

"An iconic rimfire pump-action design, it calls back to a time when you could by rimfire ammunition by the single round, and when rimfire rifles were used to feed families. The tubular magazine will hold 15 rounds of 22 LR, and its one of the few rimfire rifles that will reliably feed and fire 22 Short, 22 Long, and 22 LR ammo with the smoothness of the inner thigh of a super model."

Remington 572 Fieldmaster

H0759-L162774079.jpg

"Engineered by the man who designed the AR 15, this takedown rimfire rifle was conceptualized as a survival gun for Air Force pilots. They’re reliable, accurate, and the ideal behind-the-truck-seat rifle. The AR 7 is also offered in a survival kit for $550 with a bunch of good-day-gone-bad goodies including a Buck knife, food bars, and a space blanket."

View attachment 67290921

I had a copy of this rifle called a 'Marlin Papoose.' With .22 long rifle, hollow point shells, and a 30 round banana clip, it was actually a substantial weapon.

How is it? Accurate?

I'm almost embarrassed to admit, after 3-1/2 years, I haven't fired mine yet.

Trigger easily changed, interchangeable with AR-15

Reputation for accurate, out of the box, with little or no adjustment.
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 SPORT Rifle with Magpul MOE SL | GUNSweek.com

Showed mine to my career military stepson, he was surprised it has same Magpul sights as his locally mfg.
AR-15 .223.

I purchased my MP 15-22 one month after 2017 inauguration, never inclined to own a firearm before, fired my uncle's
Spencer style loading, don't recall the mfg., in my early teens, and 12 ga. trap a number of times as an adult.
Pistol shooting at range, recently.

I thought paying 25 cents+ for full size AR-15 rounds would be a waste of money and lessen frequency of shooting,
and haven't yet fired a shot, even though I paid < .05 a rd. Home defense was my justification. I should take the initiative and try this soon, I got good deals on this S&W's favorite "food" Federal target rounds, it has a reputation for favoring the Federal because the dirtier, the better.
Sales collapsed right after the 2016 election results, and I got good prices on 2,000 rds. and a Black Dog, 50 rd. Mag.

Fits in this case, on an angle, without breaking down.... It's a link to an AmazonDOTcom item page.
Robot Check

SPECIFICATIONS: Interior dimensions are 30.25" L x 11.3" W x 5" D. Made in the U.S.A. Meets TSA and airline safe requirements.

"If fun is what you seek, look no further. Configured to mimic the feel and function of America’s most popular rifle – the AR 15 – the M&P 15-22 Sport is a rifle that will help transform your range into a shooting gallery. With 13 variants to choose from, you’re bound to find one everyone in the family will enjoy. And, at less than five pounds, this rifle is light enough everyone in the family can handle it."

The 10 Best Rimfire Rifles | Outdoor Life

Showed mine to my career military stepson, he was surprised it has same Magpul sights as his locally mfg.
AR-15 .223.

I purchased my MP 15-22 one month after 2017 inauguration, never inclined to own a firearm before, fired my uncle's
Spencer style loading, don't recall the mfg., in my early teens, and 12 ga. trap a number of times as an adult.

I thought paying 25 cents+ for full size AR-15 rounds would be a waste of money and lessen frequency of shooting,
and haven't yet fired a shot, even though I paid < .05 a rd. Home defense was my justification. I should take the initiative and try this soon, I got good deals on this S&W's favorite "food" Federal target rounds, it has a reputation for favoring the Federal because the dirtier, the better.
Sales collapsed right after the 2016 election results, and I got good prices on 2,000 rds. and a Black Dog, 50 rd. Mag.

Fits in this case, on an angle, without breaking down.... It's a link to an AmazonDOTcom item page.

A very interesting model.

Not my cup of tea but I am sure others are drolling now.

"Now more than 50 years old, this little semi-automatic rimfire has become the gold standard by which all 22 rifles are judged. A tremendous value for the dollar, the 10/22 is available in a multitude of configurations including takedown and target models. It is also one of the most customizable rimfire rifles ever created. Any boy with designs on becoming a real man should grow up with one, and every father should spend his money on one."

Ruger 10/22

The 10 Best Rimfire Rifles | Outdoor Life

I'd still stay with the Ruger 10/22.

I had planned to, also, until I saw how easy it is to break down the S&W and get fuller cleaning access. Until then, I was seriously shopping
for the "Tac" model of the Ruger.

AR-15 .223.

If they had those when I was picking out my very first .22 rifle over 50 years ago, I know what I would have picked.

I have several guns I've fired very little. Last Thanksgiving I bought a 9mm Witness, and I've yet to fire it at all.

Well I am sure the 10/22 is at the top of the list

But my little browning I bought with summer wages when I was 15 is certainly my favorite. That gun is 50 years old and still shoots fine. I was rough on it as a kid. Had it renovated a few years ago to get it ready for the next generation. No telling how many bricks of .22's have been down that barrel. When I was a kid I could hit pecans in the top of a tree with it. Now my old eyes hold me back. Put a trujicon rmr on it because I can't see the sights like I use to.

20200811_175641.jpg

Well I am sure the 10/22 is at the top of the list

But my little browning I bought with summer wages when I was 15 is certainly my favorite. That gun is 50 years old and still shoots fine. I was rough on it as a kid. Had it renovated a few years ago to get it ready for the next generation. No telling how many bricks of .22's have been down that barrel. When I was a kid I could hit pecans in the top of a tree with it. Now my old eyes hold me back. Put a trujicon rmr on it because I can't see the sights like I use to.

View attachment 67291111

An awesome rifle. Looks wonderful.

AR-15 .223.

The M&P 15/22 is a great gun...its just not very practical. If you wanted an AR platform to train with its not a bad deal. But there just isnt much need for a tactical 22LR. Its as silly as putting an Archangel stock on the Ruger 10/22. You can...but why?

Thats just like...my opinion......

Last edited:
The M&P 15/22 is a great gun...its just not very practical. If you wanted an AR platform to train with its not a bad deal. But there just isnt much need for a tactical 22LR. Its as silly as putting an Archangel stock on the Ruger 10/22. You can...but why?

Gawd I hope that practicality never becomes mandatory in what I buy... :)

I'd have to say the 10/22, although I've never owned one. But I love my little Browning SA. Great gun!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Marlin 39A was probably my favorite for sheer fun. I have a Winchester 62A that is a lot of fun as well. A Savage Mod 19 NRA Match rifle I currently own is probably the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever owned. Probably because I once passed up a chance at a nice Remington 541.

I also have a Marlin 39, the Cowboy model they built for a while. octagon barrel. I put Skinner sights on it and it is my favorite .22 to this day. I also own and like shooting the Ruger 10/22 but that marlin is a tack driver.

JC. Penny was my first gun buy. German Gewehr 1888.

Well, we have something in common. That was my first gun, too. The first gun I actually bought and paid for, that is. I bought mine at the Western Auto store back in the late 50's. I think I gave $10 or $15 for it. I was also about 15 or 16 years old at the time. The clerk rang it right up. No ID, no nothing. Your post really brought back some memories.

Back
Top Bottom