• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Fav Christmas music?

Hoot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Well, it's getting to be time to dust off that 'ol Christmas music.

Just wondering if any of you have favorite cd's that are good this time of year?

I heartily recommend...

The Ventures Xmas Album...and,
A Chicago Xmas ( the band Chicago)

I've got some nice classical stuff...but if you know of a Xmas cd that features exceptional musicianship, especially guitar, I'd love to hear about it.

Maybe I should add to my question?

Any favorite Xmas songs that you can't live without?

I've been wanting to burn a greatest hits, Xmas cd,...and have songs like 'Father Xmas,' by the Kinks...'Xmas at Ground Zero,' by Weird Al...that Xmas song by John Lennon..(forget the name, but it's the one that goes..."They say this is Xmas..and a Happy New year...let's make it a good one..without any fear," of course 'Sleigh Ride,' by the Ventures, maybe 'River' by Joni Mitchell...etc.

Anything to add?

Thanks.

Why is it acceptable to change the word "Christmas" by removing letters and putting an "X" in its place?

Are people not realizing that it it offensive to some or are they intentionally doing it to irritate?...:(

Why is it acceptable to change the word "Christmas" by removing letters and putting an "X" in its place?

Are people not realizing that it it offensive to some or are they intentionally doing it to irritate?...

Because not everyone who celebrates christmas is a christian, ironic as that sounds. Hell I'm not a christian (or at least I don't consider msyelf one) and I do. I'm actually a confirmed Catholic but the only reason I actually went through with the whole thing was because I was being pressured to do it by all these people and well the straw that broke the camels back was when I heard that if I refused to go through with it, I'd have to explain myself to a catholic priest. But at the very least, I don't need to go to church anymore lma. Anyways my favorite christmas songs

1. Oi to the World (thats not a typo btw)
2. Silent Night
3. Oh Come All Ye faithful (I prefer latin version)
4. I saw three ships (don't remember real name)
Natt King Cole's versions are preferable

FinnMacCool said:
Because not everyone who celebrates christmas is a christian, ironic as that sounds. Hell I'm not a christian (or at least I don't consider msyelf one) and I do. I'm actually a confirmed Catholic but the only reason I actually went through with the whole thing was because I was being pressured to do it by all these people and well the straw that broke the camels back was when I heard that if I refused to go through with it, I'd have to explain myself to a catholic priest. But at the very least, I don't need to go to church anymore lma. Anyways my favorite christmas songs

1. Oi to the World (thats not a typo btw)
2. Silent Night
3. Oh Come All Ye faithful (I prefer latin version)
4. I saw three ships (don't remember real name)
Natt King Cole's versions are preferable
That's far from a reason...

Somebody, somewhere down the line, intentionally changed the word to remove a connotation many feel strongly about and are offended...This wasn't accidental...

I don't remember seeing the separation of language and state anywhere...Or, in this case, language and culture...

That's far from a reason...

Somebody, somewhere down the line, intentionally changed the word to remove a connotation many feel strongly about and are offended...This wasn't accidental...

I don't remember seeing the separation of language and state anywhere...Or, in this case, language and culture...

Okay maybe not a reason. An explanation then?

With the way christmas is nowadays, can you hardly be surpirsed? At the very least, I don't type XMAS . But probably the only reason why I don't is cause I was raised Catholic and I was taught not to do so. If its something you feel strongly about, you could try and do something about it but I'm not sure many would listen. This world isn't very religious anymore and too be quite frank I don't think the many who supposedly attend mass really give that much.

"Joy to the World" gives me goose bumps.

cnredd said:

Are people not realizing that it it offensive to some or are they intentionally doing it to irritate?...:(

Like Merry X'mas....but how is this offensive? What even started that?

alphieb said:
Like Merry X'mas....but how is this offensive? What even started that?

I knew someone would get offended, alphieb, if I used that spelling, and I thought about printing a disclaimer, but I believed we were all mature enough to realize no offense was intended....oh well..sigh...can't please everyone, so why try?

Look up 'X' in any dictionary and you'll find something like this...

X-Christ, Christian, the Greek letter X chi, which begins the word Christos (meaning Christ)

So, you see, X has been used as a symbol to designate Christ long before the English language came into being...so...all of you who are offended need to get off your bloody soapboxes.

This is probably not news to most of you, but have any of you heard the song..."Walking round in Women's Underware,"? ( Sung to the tune of Winter Wonderland)

I don't know all the words, but it goes something like this...

'Lacy things...the wife is missing'
'Didn't ask...her permission'
'I'm wearing her clothes...her silk panty-hose'
'Walking round in women's underware.'

'In the store...there's a teddy'
'Little straps...like spaghetti'
'They hold me so tight...like handcuffs at night'
'Walking round in women's underware'

That's all I know, but I cracked up when I heard this on the radio this morning on my drive to work.

( Ok, now I've probably really offended some people? LOL)

A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi Trio

mixedmedia said:
A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi Trio

This sounds good...see, this is what I want...songs and artists.

If someone says they like Silent Night, well, gee...there's probably a good ten thousand versions out there, so this tells me nothing.

Hoot said:
This sounds good...see, this is what I want...songs and artists.

If someone says they like Silent Night, well, gee...there's probably a good ten thousand versions out there, so this tells me nothing.

Charlie Brown Christmas is a must have. It's all the ones you'll remember from the old Charlie Brown Christmas special.

I also have two Louis Armstrong and Friends cds that have many great classics: Louis, of course, Judy Garland, Frank, Bing, Ella, Peggy Lee, Mel Torme, Dinah Washington, Duke Ellington, etc. Both are worth having in your collection.
Louis Armstrong & Friends: What a Wonderful Christmas on Hip-O Records.
Christmas with Louis Armstrong & Friends on Blue Moon Records.

Tony Bennett's Snowfall is also one of my favorites.

Well, of course, there's the one classic I know all the words to and even hear playing in my head in July: Grandma got run over by a reindeer. But my favorite is...well, its called "You ain't getting s**t for Christmas" by Red Peters. Here's a link to all interested.

http://www.redpeters.com/blueballs/index.html

Hoot said:
Well, it's getting to be time to dust off that 'ol Christmas music.

Just wondering if any of you have favorite cd's that are good this time of year?

I heartily recommend...

The Ventures Xmas Album...and,
A Chicago Xmas ( the band Chicago)

I've got some nice classical stuff...but if you know of a Xmas cd that features exceptional musicianship, especially guitar, I'd love to hear about it.

Kenny G's Christmas album is pretty good.

I favor making my own Christmas CDs versus buying them....I'd rather have all of my favorite songs within easy reach! I've made Christmas CDs for the past couple of years and given them out as gifts, they've been a pretty big hit!

I do love "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, that's an excellent album.

The music from "The Nutcracker Suite" always gets me around this time of year, as well.

If anyone's interested in the playlists from my Christmas CDs, I'd be happy to share.

Back
Top Bottom