• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fathers disappear from households

No it doesn't have to be the traditional male/female, two parents, it could be homosexuals or grandparents, etc.
But for the sake of economy, two parents make more sense.

I agree with that, especially in this economy where jobs and/or job stability are hard to come by for a lot of people.

A single parent can do it, it's just less time for everything, because instead of splitting the jobs, it's all on one person.
I don't think this should be viewed as a positive, but I also don't believe single parents, who were in bad situations should be judged harshly or at all.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's not necessarily because of a gender role that is missing (father in the case of this OP), but because parenting is missing.

Another factor here, is that some choose it as a lifestyle choice, rather than they had bad situations. That to me, should not be encouraged.

Well, if they can afford it without relying on the welfare system, and they are prepared to be a single parent with all the hardships that come with it, then I don't really have a problem. I think it's a personal choice, but that you should not collect money from the state.

Single parent homes are one of the largest drivers of income inequality, besides preferential mating.

Preferential mating? Never heard of it.

My parents should of never got together.
Their marriage was nothing but deceit, anger and resentment, which spilled over to my sister and I.
Being a 12/13/14/15 year old, counseling your mother, well it stinks and it's depressing.

Story of my life. :lol:

No it doesn't have to be the traditional male/female, two parents, it could be homosexuals or grandparents, etc.
But for the sake of economy, two parents make more sense.

A single parent can do it, it's just less time for everything, because instead of splitting the jobs, it's all on one person.
I don't think this should be viewed as a positive, but I also don't believe single parents, who were in bad situations should be judged harshly or at all.

Another factor here, is that some choose it as a lifestyle choice, rather than they had bad situations.
That to me, should not be encouraged.
Single parent homes are one of the largest drivers of income inequality, besides preferential mating.

My parents should of never got together.
Their marriage was nothing but deceit, anger and resentment, which spilled over to my sister and I.

Being a 12/13/14/15 year old, counseling your mother, well it stinks and it's depressing.

Same here. It's so nice when parent stick the kids in the middle of their ****ed up marriage problems. :roll:

And then after the divorce when the kids are expected to choose sides, and listen to parents berate each other. False accusations leading to ruined lives... i could continue. It all sucks- people suck. So I've come to the conclusion that whatever works for other people is fine by me.

So, I guess there are only two extremes: quit or perfection...
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Who said that? There is such a thing as a happy marriage you know, or at least happier.

Indeed.

Why, just the other day I got into a fight with my five year old over whether or not it was his bed time. We fight about this all the time, and it's just so wearing.... :(

....I guess for everyone's good I should give him up for adoption. I mean, we are fighting, how can we ever be happy?

Hey, just off him. Its your life, and the 5 yr. old is compromising your health, right?

Fathers are not disappearing from households. They are getting the **** away from crazy bitches who think they can raise a kid on their own and calling them out on it:lol:

Indeed.

Why, just the other day I got into a fight with my five year old over whether or not it was his bed time. We fight about this all the time, and it's just so wearing.... :(

....I guess for everyone's good I should give him up for adoption. I mean, we are fighting, how can we ever be happy?

Now you're just being ridiculous. I guess that's the only way you can win an argument? :shrug:

It works well - when both parents want to be together and want to raise their children together.

It fails all else.

Other models are designed to care for family whether woman is married or not . . . there are other ways to not be married. Widowed, separated by war, imprisonment . . . the US model fails these troubles in life drastically.

Of course - it's give and take . . . the reverse is also true.

In other cultures you have different ways of binding the family. In some cultures there's always a designated alternative 'parent' - an honorary parent that is quite active. The mother's brother, or the father's uncle - someone *else* other than direct biological parent according to their various lineage practices and other such customs. This helps to ensure that the children will continue to be supported in some fashion if - heavens forbid - something happens to one or both parents.

In the us - if one or both parents fail to be able to support for a wide variety of reasons. The children go to family that they may or may not even know. They will likely be removed from familiar living - or even put into foster care and removed from family entirely.

In the US - our self-centered constructs created vast voids of desolation and diaspora. It only works if everyone gets along, is happy and content - or is miserable and chooses to suffer in abject silence for what many people claim are selfish reasons.

How many times do people encourage an unhappy or tense couple to divorce? It's a standard belief.

Yes, this is all true. And our 'western model' so arroganly pronounced in this thread to be superior is grossly inferior when it comes to the care of women and children. Here men have one wife but they give one another a wink and a nod when they knock up as many other women as they want. DNA testing is a gift from God. I guess He got tired of their crap and decided to give women a weapon to use. In this country men only have one 'wife' but many of them have many concubines. They just don't have to be responsible for those concubines like men have had to be down through the ages in the east. In the east, they give those 'wives of night' their due. Not so here. This system exploits women to the depths of their souls. It is disgusting. The OP is not the only pseudointellectual to hold one marriage up as superior and the model for all. There are plenty of others in that mindset. My guess is he fell for all the putting on his folks did in front of him. (Yet he doesn't hold his OWN marriage up as superior.....hmmmm.) I would bet those two were miserable. And he is disgusted that I didn't have to 'submit' myself to some guy, but rather chose to take care of myself and my children first above all. (I've worked in psych almost 25 years. When a child is molested it's almost always the stepfather! Oh horrible me for not setting this up in my home.) And even worse in his eyes, I taught my own children in addition to everything else I had to do so they could be well prepared for college and the world. I knew the schools weren't doing it nor would they. THEN my daughter had the audacity to get a man's educaiton and succeed in a male dominated field - as a single woman before she married at 30. And she chose well. My son still unmarried is unimpressed with the chaotic marriages of his peers. Oh God! I'm such a horrible woman and mother. How will I bear the shame of it!

Aunty, insight such as yours is rare! Just because we go around saying 'we're the best, we're the greatest that ever was' doesn't mean we truly are. Our society will crumble from within and is already because of our 'western model.'

Last edited:
Yes, this is all true. And our 'western model' so arroganly pronounced in this thread to be superior is grossly inferior when it comes to the care of women and children. Here men have one wife but they give one another a wink and a nod when they knock up as many other women as they want. DNA testing is a gift from God. I guess He got tired of their crap and decided to give women a weapon to use. In this country men only have one 'wife' but many of them have many concubines. They just don't have to be responsible for those concubines like men have had to be down through the ages in the east. In the east, they give those 'wives of night' their due. Not so here. This system exploits women to the depths of their souls. It is disgusting. The OP is not the only pseudointellectual to hold one marriage up as superior and the model for all. There are plenty of others in that mindset. My guess is he fell for all the putting on his folks did in front of him. (Yet he doesn't hold his OWN marriage up as superior.....hmmmm.) I would bet those two were miserable. And he is disgusted that I didn't have to 'submit' myself to some guy, but rather chose to take care of myself and my children first above all. (I've worked in psych almost 25 years. When a child is molested it's almost always the stepfather! Oh horrible me for not setting this up in my home.) And even worse in his eyes, I taught my own children in addition to everything else I had to do so they could be well prepared for college and the world. I knew the schools weren't doing it nor would they. THEN my daughter had the audacity to get a man's educaiton and succeed in a male dominated field - as a single woman before she married at 30. And she chose well. My son still unmarried is unimpressed with the chaotic marriages of his peers. Oh God! I'm such a horrible woman and mother. How will I bear the shame of it!

Aunty, insight such as yours is rare! Just because we go around saying 'we're the best, we're the greatest that ever was' doesn't mean we truly are. Our society will crumble from within and is already because of our 'western model.'

I think it boils down to a lack of education. Willful ignorance. It's easier to sit back in one's recliner and judge the world from the comfort of one's livingroom than to seek out knowledge, therefore gaining the understanding that others can live differently and have successful lives and secure families. Although single parents often find it more difficult to gain such success, it happens everyday. Moms and dads out there fighting the fight- paying their own bills and raising productive and respectful kids. But most importantly, the days of the Judeo Christian model where the wives faithfully await their husband's next move with anticipation is thankfully in the past. Women can now make their own decisions apart from the constraints of marriage. Quite frankly, I think some men are threatened by that. Society can now move forward with the knowledge that other models (gay and lesbian, female led, whatever it may be) can also be successful..

I think it boils down to a lack of education. Willful ignorance. It's easier to sit back in one's recliner and judge the world from the comfort of one's livingroom than to seek out knowledge, therefore gaining the understanding that others can live differently and have successful lives and secure families. Although single parents often find it more difficult to gain such success, it happens everyday. Moms and dads out there fighting the fight- paying their own bills and raising productive and respectful kids. But most importantly, the days of the Judeo Christian model where the wives faithfully await their husband's next move with anticipation is thankfully in the past. Women can now make their own decisions apart from the constraints of marriage. Quite frankly, I think some men are threatened by that. Society can now move forward with the knowledge that other models (gay and lesbian, female led, whatever it may be) can also be successful..

Yes, I agree. There are people like the OP who think that folks in every other country of the world are all just miserable and wallowing in their inferiority to the US. But I have been and I have seen. There are some beautiful places on this earth to live. And if I am not mistaken Dubai is the wealthiest city on the planet. China has adopted this 'western model' but they aren't living it. You won't read about it, but when I was there my guide told me that many many Chinese men have multiple families in multiple dwellings all over Beijing and other locations. How sad that they can no longer have that secure 'famly compound' where all those involved could work together, prosper, and be well cared for. (You also won't read about how the Great Wall is booby trapped. But it is.)

You really don't hear much from those singles who are making it, and their number is legion, because they are all busy. Just like I was for so many years. But I don't need a man to earn 6 figures for me, I can do that myself and in a female dominated profession. Speaking of which: Did you know that it is believed that the church started the slanderous tale that Florence Nightingale died of syphilis? She actually had brucelosis. The GOB network in the church just couldn't stand that there could be a strong female dominated profession. The strongest service in any hospital is Nursing Service. No, the doctors aren't waiting in the wings to save you. It is the nurses who do that with only one doctor known as the 'house officer' asleep in his little roost. And there is nothing in the Bible that states Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. It was that punitive woman hating whore Paul who did womanhood in by telling us to keep our mouths shut and do what our husbands tell us. Most western men haven't gotten over the fact that we stopped doing that in the 60s! The books of the Bible were chosen by Constantine to promote peace in his empire, to create a docile people who would accept the reign of the emperor and the rule of law. There was nothing spiritual about it. A later ruler did the same thing. The Bible is a government document. It even has the king's name on it. Ancient scrolls unearthed in the last half century have shown that Mary Magdalene was a disciple, an equal of the others. It was not Jesus that put women in a subordinate role. It was that despicable Paul who was an afterthought that would have been quickly forgotten because pretty much everything he taught was the exact opposite of the forgiving Christ. Paul was a punitive asshole.

Yes, I agree. There are people like the OP who think that folks in every other country of the world are all just miserable and wallowing in their inferiority to the US. But I have been and I have seen. There are some beautiful places on this earth to live. And if I am not mistaken Dubai is the wealthiest city on the planet. China has adopted this 'western model' but they aren't living it. You won't read about it, but when I was there my guide told me that many many Chinese men have multiple families in multiple dwellings all over Beijing and other locations. How sad that they can no longer have that secure 'famly compound' where all those involved could work together, prosper, and be well cared for. (You also won't read about how the Great Wall is booby trapped. But it is.)

You really don't hear much from those singles who are making it, and their number is legion, because they are all busy. Just like I was for so many years. But I don't need a man to earn 6 figures for me, I can do that myself and in a female dominated profession. Speaking of which: Did you know that it is believed that the church started the slanderous tale that Florence Nightingale died of syphilis? She actually had brucelosis. The GOB network in the church just couldn't stand that there could be a strong female dominated profession. The strongest service in any hospital is Nursing Service. No, the doctors aren't waiting in the wings to save you. It is the nurses who do that with only one doctor known as the 'house officer' asleep in his little roost. And there is nothing in the Bible that states Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. It was that punitive woman hating whore Paul who did womanhood in by telling us to keep our mouths shut and do what our husbands tell us. Most western men haven't gotten over the fact that we stopped doing that in the 60s! The books of the Bible were chosen by Constantine to promote peace in his empire, to create a docile people who would accept the reign of the emperor and the rule of law. There was nothing spiritual about it. A later ruler did the same thing. The Bible is a government document. It even has the king's name on it. Ancient scrolls unearthed in the last half century have shown that Mary Magdalene was a disciple, an equal of the others. It was not Jesus that put women in a subordinate role. It was that despicable Paul who was an afterthought that would have been quickly forgotten because pretty much everything he taught was the exact opposite of the forgiving Christ. Paul was a punitive asshole.

Are you done with your straw men and just out right mischaracterization of people's posts here?

I totally agree with what you wrote about the "church" and their failure to recognize women as strong, independent and completely able to care for themselves (or at least some of us - LOL) without "help" from any man. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE men, and I sure like them and like having them around, but I certainly don't NEED a man to survive.

I totally agree with what you wrote about the "church" and their failure to recognize women as strong, independent and completely able to care for themselves (or at least some of us - LOL) without "help" from any man. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE men, and I sure like them and like having them around, but I certainly don't NEED a man to survive.

With what I've read out of you on here, I can certainly believe what you have just posted!

With what I've read out of you on here, I can certainly believe what you have just posted!

Thanks Maenad! You too! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom