• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry' [W:245]

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
School bus beating suspects appear in court | Fox News Video

As the trio headed to court on Tuesday, Julian McKnight said his son Julian, 15, has also suffered in the aftermath of the July 9 attack on a Pinellas County school bus after it left Lealman Intermediate School in the St. Petersburg-area community of Gulfport.“All I can say is that he had his consequences already, you know?” McKnight said. “This is life. I am sorry what happened to the victim. It's just the way it is. My son ain’t never been no bad person, he just got mixed [up] with bad people, that’s all … He’s sorry.”
"My son ain’t never been no bad person, he just got mixed [up] with bad people, that’s all … He’s sorry.”​
- Julian McKnight

The three teens arrested in the attack — Lloyd Khemradj, Julian McKnight and Joshua Reddin — arrived at the Pinellas County courthouse early Tuesday. All three 15-year-olds declined to comment when approached by Fox News. All three were charged with aggravated battery. Reddin is also charged with unarmed robbery.
The juvenile suspects, whom are all first-time offenders, were ordered to return to court on Aug. 27 during their initial court appearance on Tuesday. Prosecutors — who are seeking nine months of court supervision for the suspects, as well as no contact with the victim and random drug testing — want to play the video before a judge prior to any sentence is imposed.

Read more: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry' | Fox News

You have GOT to be kidding here? The father saying "I'm sorry for what happened to the victim, but that's just the way it is?" What the hell is that?

Sorry, but these kids, all three of them should be charged as adults, and serve time.

What say you?

Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

You have GOT to be kidding here? The father saying "I'm sorry for what happened to the victim, but that's just the way it is?" What the hell is that?

Sorry, but these kids, all three of them should be charged as adults, and serve time.

What say you?

A pretty lousy father by the sound of it.

I believe charging them as adults would be extreme. If the boy had died then I would be in agreement. I would say a few years in juvenile with some community service and anger management classes would be appropriate. What is the normal sentence for assualt by a minor?

What say you?

If you do big boy crime you should do big boy time. Beating and robbing someone indicates much more than simply bad judgement like skipping school, taking someone's bicycle for a joy ride or bashing in somone's mailbox. Violent crime is not something that should be taken lightly and expunged from one's "permanent record". Setting an example that violent behavior is simply a kid's mistake, or boys will be boys, is moronic regardless of the age of the perp(s). God forbit his "good" son should receive the draconian punishment of nine months of probation and cease using drugs.

If you do big boy crime you should do big boy time. Beating and robbing someone indicates much more than simply bad judgement like skipping school, taking someone's bicycle for a joy ride or bashing in somone's mailbox. Violent crime is not something that should be taken lightly and expunged from one's "permanent record". Setting an example that violent behavior is simply a kid's mistake, or boys will be boys, is moronic regardless of the age of the perp(s). God forbit his "good" son should receive the draconian punishment of nine months of probation and cease using drugs.

I hate it when I see people post this type of mentality. We treat kids differently because they are different. Why do we not allow people to vote until they are 18? We don't even let grown "adults" drink alcohol until they are 21...why? Because we as a society believe that they are not emotionally mature and capable of making intelligent and rational choices fully until those ages. Yes....kids should be punished for poor behaviors and they should be punished harshly if the crime is serious. However the idea of treating kids as adults in all cases is just a ridiculous proposal.

I believe charging them as adults would be extreme. If the boy had died then I would be in agreement. I would say a few years in juvenile with some community service and anger management classes would be appropriate. What is the normal sentence for assualt by a minor?

As far as I understand, Juvenile is different that adult in this matter. In adult courts depending on the state, could be 5 to 10 years in prison. For a Juvenile, could be up to 12 months in detention, but for first offenses, usually the DA will plea down the sentencing, and in many cases that carries weight with the judge. The court will impose community service, and fines, then there is the civil cases that will ensue....

I just think these boys did this with forethought, and malice. Therefore they should be in adult court facing these charges, and should be in jail.

What say you?

I'd say that if they were adults they should be charged as adults, and serve time, if found guilty. If they are juveniles then the juvenile penal system should decide. No biggie.

I hate it when I see people post this type of mentality. We treat kids differently because they are different. Why do we not allow people to vote until they are 18? We don't even let grown "adults" drink alcohol until they are 21...why? Because we as a society believe that they are not emotionally mature and capable of making intelligent and rational choices fully until those ages. Yes....kids should be punished for poor behaviors and they should be punished harshly if the crime is serious. However the idea of treating kids as adults in all cases is just a ridiculous proposal.

Do you think these boys should be in the adult system? Did you watch the video of the beating?

What say you?
I have to give 'that' father some kudos. At least he is involved. The other two fathers were advised by their lawyers not to speak.

I have to give 'that' father some kudos. At least he is involved. The other two fathers were advised by their lawyers not to speak.

Those kids need a good lesson in civility not a slap on the wrist.

I'd say that if they were adults they should be charged as adults, and serve time, if found guilty. If they are juveniles then the juvenile penal system should decide. No biggie.

Why no biggie? I think this is a brutal attack. They wouldn't have batted an eye if this boy on the bus had died. This was attempted murder.

Why no biggie? I think this is a brutal attack. They wouldn't have batted an eye if this boy on the bus had died. This was attempted murder.

kids in my school used to stamp on the new kid in the shower whilst wearing football boots. kids are brutal.

Must the injuries inflicted be life threatening to be considered "serious"? I clearly did not say that in all cases juveniles should be treated (sentenced) as adults, and even provided you examples of rational distinctions - non-violent (property crime) offenses are not as serious as violent offenses. I would imagine that the even younger crime victim will suffer physical/emotional consequences from this "minor" crime far in excess of the nine months of probation. These kids are considered "first offenders" even though they were removed from normal school and placed in an alternate setting. Do violent crime victims somehow feel less pain by having their bones broken by "kids"? Why do you consider a group beating, causing a broken bone, to not be "serious"?

kids in my school used to stamp on the new kid in the shower whilst wearing football boots. kids are brutal.

That makes it ok?

Attempted murder? I don't think so. It was a beating no doubt, quite a nasty one. Aggravated battery seems like the right charge. Why do you think it was so heinous that you need to throw out the laws on juvenile justice? Because it was caught on video? Because it got played on Fox and CNN? The US already incarcerates more minors than any other country in the world. Maybe the brutal way the criminal justice system treats child offenders contributes to the brutal way some of those children behave. Violence begets violence, brutality begets brutality.

That makes it ok?

its school and unfortunately it goes on, if u sentenced every kid as an adult you will have to build more prisons.

What say you?

The guys a disgusting low life and its rubbed off on his thug son.

What say you?
So what, little white punk should have known what was going to happen to him.
That is the attitude with animals like him. Just like Trayvons girlfriend said, "its jus an azz whoopin'".
Daddy probably smacked him around alittle after he was released, for getting caught.

So what, little white punk should have known what was going to happen to him.
That is the attitude with animals like him. Just like Trayvons girlfriend said, "its jus an azz whoopin'".
Daddy probably smacked him around alittle after he was released, for getting caught.

when you say animals do you mean black people?

I don't understand the call to charge a juvenile as an adult. Change the laws to account for such a horrible act.

when you say animals do you mean black people?

It looks to me like he was referring to the "little white punk". The color doesn't matter. The actions do.

Last edited:

What say you?

The guys a disgusting low life and its rubbed off on his thug son.

its school and unfortunately it goes on, if u sentenced every kid as an adult you will have to build more prisons.

Na, this was way more than some school yard fight. This was an assault by three on one smaller boy.
They should be charged as an adult.
But dont worry, each one of them has a life expectancy of only another few years.

I don't know about charging as adults, but it was certainly a brutal vicious beating, and they should get a MUCH harder sentence than they did. That was a violent assault which could easily result in death, brain damage, etc.

Na, this was way more than some school yard fight. This was an assault by three on one smaller boy.
Yes, it was. And that's what they've been charged with.

They should be charged as an adult.
Why?

It looks to me like he was referring to the "little white punk". The color doesn't matter. The actions do.

then why bring up the trayvon martin case? Seem's a little odd to me.

Back
Top Bottom