• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Father Disowns Homophobic Daughter in Epic Letter

Brooks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
....so, while we are in the business of disowning our children, I think I’ll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous (as the gays put it) grandson to raise, and I don’t have time for heart-less B-word of a daughter. If you find your heart, give us a call. – Dad."

Yahoo Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

I had a moment where I questioned whether or not my mother's name was Christine. :lol:

....so, while we are in the business of disowning our children, I think I’ll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous (as the gays put it) grandson to raise, and I don’t have time for heart-less B-word of a daughter. If you find your heart, give us a call. – Dad."

Damn, she got burned.

It's nice that some people get it, but I disagree with what this father did as much as I disagree with what his daughter did.

Disowning is hurtful and dumb. Adding more hurt on top of hurt doesn't make for less hurt.

If I were the daughter, I'd be smiling. Getting rid of both a child who has no values and a parent who doesn't have any either is the perfect ending to this. Now, not only doesn't she have to deal with raising the son, she doesn't have to deal with maintaining her father as he ages and dies. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

disowning your child for being a homophobe is just as dumb and hurtful as disowning them because they are a homo. Afterall...YOU raised them, maybe you share some of the blame for the way they turned out.

I'm fairly certain that there is a substantial difference between a parent severing ties with their adult offspring (who has a child of her own) over decisions that person made and parents cutting off an adolescent child's financial support over something that is intrinsic to them. Especially when that parent is now stepping in to take over raising the young child. In fact, there's basically no similarity at all. What this mother has done is indefensible, and she is suffering the consequences from those around her. She should, as an adult, know better.

....What this mother has done is indefensible, and she is suffering the consequences from those around her. She should, as an adult, know better.

I don't think that either adults actions are "indefensible". Both are standing by the Principles that they believe in. There's nothing wrong with that. Especially if (and we don't know) the mother had made the consequences of a homosexual lifestyle abundantly clear to the child. I know my parents made it abundantly clear to my brothers and myself, what would happen if any of us chose to partake in that lifestyle.

Now, I will change my tune on this entirely IF, due to her father's decision, she changes hers. In that case she never really believed in what she did and did not do it for Principled reasons.

How is this a good thing?

It shows people on both sides of the issue standing up for what they believe in and being forced to accept the consequences of those decisions.

How is this a good thing?

The out come, infortunately, isn't a good thing except that the grandfather and grandson will have a chance to grow together. The daughter by rejecting her own child, is the ultimate loser.

I'm fairly certain that there is a substantial difference between a parent severing ties with their adult offspring (who has a child of her own) over decisions that person made and parents cutting off an adolescent child's financial support over something that is intrinsic to them. Especially when that parent is now stepping in to take over raising the young child. In fact, there's basically no similarity at all. What this mother has done is indefensible, and she is suffering the consequences from those around her. She should, as an adult, know better.

This. If his grandson is old enough to come out, that means he's probably in his teens by now, which means she's at least in her 30's, if not older. She is not reliant on her father anymore.

Also, the door has been left open. If she chooses not to try to break down her son (which is an easy standard to meet -- she doesn't even have to accept it to do that), then she is welcome to come back.

That's actually far kinder than what is offered to most children who are abandoned by homophobic parents.

This isn't a good thing.

And she writes back, "Thanks Dad, I always knew you were one self centered, heartless asshole who hated me."

It shows people on both sides of the issue standing up for what they believe in and being forced to accept the consequences of those decisions.

The consequence of her decision is she committed a crime in abandoning her kid. She should be arrested, and i really hope you never have kids.

It's nice that some people get it, but I disagree with what this father did as much as I disagree with what his daughter did.

Disowning is hurtful and dumb. Adding more hurt on top of hurt doesn't make for less hurt.
He left the door open so it's only a figurative disownment..

The consequence of her decision is she committed a crime in abandoning her kid. She should be arrested, and i really hope you never have kids.

I don't think I ever saw an age on the child. If it's over 16, then so far as I'm concerned, she didn't abandon anyone. Even younger than that, if she knew he had places to go, I would suggest it's not a criminal act.

I don't have kids currently but my fiance and I are considering it once we get married. :)

I don't think I ever saw an age on the child. If it's over 16, then so far as I'm concerned, she didn't abandon anyone. Even younger than that, if she knew he had places to go, I would suggest it's not a criminal act.

I don't have kids currently but my fiance and I are considering it once we get married. :)

Fair point about the age in this specific case, but i think you might be the only cruel bastard on this forum who would cut off their kid over something so trivial as sexual preference. Stop using your upbringing as an excuse for hate.

This is kind of anecdotal but while comparing the father and daughter consider what emotion motivated each of them.

One was love and one was hate.
A hate that overpowered maternal instinct.

And she writes back, "Thanks Dad, I always knew you were one self centered, heartless asshole who hated me."

You may be two thirds correct, he may be self centered and he may hate her, but he's clearly not heartless.

I would never agree with a situation where someone was disowned for being gay... or not liking gays.

Its just not right.

Unless you're actively trying to harm people... we can work on idiotic beliefs with you.

If true, all things being equal and going with my assumptions that the mom/daughter is in her 30+s with child in its teens or younger that is an EPIC letter and its awesome!

HERO: dad :thumbs:

LOSER: :laughat:heart-less B-word of a daughter

Last edited:
disowning your child for being a homophobe is just as dumb and hurtful as disowning them because they are a homo. Afterall...YOU raised them, maybe you share some of the blame for the way they turned out.

That's assuming that rearing a child who grows up to be gay is a fault.

Back
Top Bottom