• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fast-food Workers Urged to Stage Nationwide Strike......

It's not about fairness, it's about the downward trend in our labor market. Skilled work is being shipped out. These entry level positions are the new jobs of the future, if current trends have anything to say about it.

Then we have no future, since now only about 3% work in these minimum wage jobs, and generally not for very long before moving up. In a global economy it is not possible to have some nations paying 1/10th to 10x what other nations pay for median unskilled (or even semi-skilled) labor without imposing price controls (tariffs) to enforce that system. The minimum wage in Mexico is about $1.00/hour and in Canada is about $16/hour with the US about midway between the two.

Then we have no future, since now only about 3% work in these minimum wage jobs, and generally not for very long before moving up. In a global economy it is not possible to have some nations paying 1/10th to 10x what other nations pay for median unskilled (or even semi-skilled) labor without imposing price controls (tariffs) to enforce that system. The minimum wage in Mexico is about $1.00/hour and in Canada is about $16/hour with the US about midway between the two.

And of those three countries, which bosts the highest level of economic mobility, less economic inequality, a more robust economy, less crime, less poverty, etc etc?

Oh, and more than 3% work these "crap" jobs, but only 3% get paid the minimum to do so. Most make just over the minimum.

Try to debate more honestly.

They have a right to strike, but we have a right to criticize why they are striking as well. There is a guy on the street corner in Las Vegas that carries a sign saying the "End of the World is near, repent". It's his right to do that, but it's also my right to laugh at him for doing it.

Sure I was just stating my personal opinion.

How do you feel about a Nationwide Strike by Fast Food Workers? To be carried out in most major US Cities? Should these Unions be pushing for a Nation Wide Strike? Should they raise Minimum Wage to 15 dollars an hour? According to some doing this Would also increase the cost of the product. Their example is.....using the 15 dollar mark. That a big Mac would go up minimum 87cents. Do you think this would hurt the Country by getting all in this field to strike and take a day off work? What is the impact of stopping the spending of money? Should the Unions be gone after for attempting to derail small business? Meaning shouldn't they be brought out to speak to all about their plans. Rather than just setting up demonstrations and strikes?

A coalition of labor, religious and other groups are calling for a nationwide strike of fast-food employees on August 29.

The call for a strike came this week from a public relations agency that counts both the Service Employees International Union and United Food & Commercial Workers as clients. Both labor groups are among dozens of local and national religious, political, and union groups supporting the call for strikes. Last month, the same groups supported walkouts in some fast-food restaurants across seven cities. Others that have supported the event are the United Auto Workers, the Presbyterian Church USA, individual churches and synagogues like St. John's Catholic Church of St. Louis, and some members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, including Minnesota Congressman Keith Ellison.

The groups are calling for a minimum wage of $15 an hour for fast-food workers, along with more protections for employees wishing to unionize. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average hourly wage last year for the nation's roughly 505,000 fast-food cooks was $9.03 an hour, which amounts to $18,780 per year. The 2.9 million food preparation and serving workers had an average hourly wage of $9, or annual income of $18,720.

According to researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a single adult in New York City would need to earn $12.75 an hour to support themselves. Add a child and the number jumps to $24.69. In Chicago, a single adult would need to make $10.48 an hour, or $9.48 in Milwaukee.

The groups pushing for a strike note that fast food is a $200 billion a year industry, with enormously well compensated CEOs. Industry leader McDonald's (MCD) had total revenues of $27.6 billion and profits of $5.5 billion last year.....snip~

Fast-food workers urged to stage nationwide strike - CBS News

I think they should do whatever they like. Wages should be made in the marketplace. And if society does not like the outcome? Pay a negativ tax and increase the tax for everybody else. If that is what the taxpayer wants he should take the hit. It is also far cheaper than screwing around with prices, which economically wages are.

Ehhh...they have every right to strike and I find it hard to criticize a group practicing their right to collectively bargain and strike.

If you're for the "market" deciding prices this is how it works. Collective bargaining is one route for labor to have leverage to get higher wages. There seems to be a lot of folks that associate "market wages" with all the power on one side of the bargaining table.

Heya ILR. :2wave: But not all areas are wanting to get a Union are they? Maybe those like McDonalds, BK, or KFC. Which many of those places do make more than some small Businesses.

First of all, that would be cool to see, and if they pull it off, it would be great to see their wages go up (although I think $15 is proposed as a negotiating amount - I think $10-12 would be closer to what they'd get if they got anything), but I doubt they can pull it off ...but, come on, at $12 an hour you'd be making just over the poverty threshhold for a family of four ... that's not asking for much and your burger would go up a few pennies, and maybe nothing at all if McDonald's CEO made $10 million instead of $20 million.

Heya WD. :2wave: Well Obama was calling for the raise to go to 9 an Hour. Most people surveyed say 10 an hr would be adequate. Again many of these jobs are entry level jobs. So what does the independent franchisee do. Since his Profit margins are tighter. Plus he is paying the Subsidy and rent to the Corporate name? 22-35 percent for salaries and wages alone.

Also I think Ttwtt brought up a good point about paying 50% higher than already.

Heya ILR. :2wave: But not all areas are wanting to get a Union are they? Maybe those like McDonalds, BK, or KFC. Which many of those places do make more than some small Businesses.

Hi MMC,

Not sure about unionizing...but I think a union is a means to an end not the end itself. Unions make it easier...you have a constant advocate for labor that can build cash reserves for strikes, pay for legal representation, and have a history of working with management to bargain but that's how the union movement started. Just individuals striking to show their displeasure at low wages or bad working conditions.

Sorry, my point may not have been clear, I think 15 dollars an hour for a fast food worker is utterly ridiculous. I worked on iPods, iPhones, and Macs for 12.88 an hour. And believe me, that takes a lot more skill than flipping a burger or asking if you want fries with that.

Well I agree with you on that point.....like I said earlier. Did they not think about how some are nothing more than entry level positions and that as soon as they move off to another position they will get that raise? Moreover Like GG stated.....raise the Minimum wage. Then these Businesses will just cut raises and hours.

Right away they are looking at what the CEO of these Fast Food Corps are making. But after how many years in the field or Business?

Well I agree with you on that point.....like I said earlier. Did they not think about how some are nothing more than entry level positions and that as soon as they move off to another position they will get that raise? Moreover Like GG stated.....raise the Minimum wage. Then these Businesses will just cut raises and hours.

Right away they are looking at what the CEO of these Fast Food Corps are making. But after how many years in the field or Business?

Yeah nobody talks about that. Rome wasn't built in a day right?

If no one wants to work a job at minimum wage it has to pay more. If paying more puts the cost too high to make the business practical, then it's no longer a viable business. I wouldn't support higher prices for fast food. I think it's already too high for the junk they serve. If employer and employee can't agree on a fair wage there's no deal. If the seller and buyer of the product whether it's a hamburger or labor don't agree; no deal. We'll just see where it all falls out. I can certainly live without fast food.

Fast food is not a small business arena, unless you consider franchisees small businesses. McDs going out of business HELPS actual small business, mom and pop eateries.

Well, to be honest I was looking at the Independent Franchise Owner.....which he still has to pay out to carry the Name. Then Businesses like Fast Food joints inside a Macy's, Sears, or Walmart.

Franchisees also pay significant amounts to the central corporation. McDonald's, for instance, charges franchise owners 4 percent of gross sales as well as rent. Owners are often required to buy their good and supplies from the company, eliminating competitive pressures that could lower expenses. Food and beverage costs at multi-unit franchise-operated restaurants ranged from 21 percent to 36 percent of income, with a median cost of 34.6 percent of revenue. Franchisees also may have to pay a percentage of sales for advertising.

In other words, the corporations that back fast-food restaurants add significant costs to franchisees' operations. McDonald's makes almost a third of its annual revenue from franchisees. So even if only a minority of the operations are directly owned and run by the big companies, the low wages that many of the franchisees claim they need to make a profit effectively subsidize the global corporation.....snip~

they don't need to strike. they need to organize, and then negotiate better working conditions.

here's what i'd ask for :

more control over hours
access to full time opportunities
better opportunities for promotion
better pay and benefits if promoted.

the base pay is always going to suck; the fifteen bucks an hour base pay is not going to happen. what is lacking is control over hours, and there should be more opportunities to get promoted. i'll gladly pay an extra buck for the big mac meal if they do that.

that the national unions are supporting this is absolutely nutty
they are leading these workers into a train wreck
the employers can/will fire any of the - at will - "striking" employees
they will simply not say the employee is being fired for their involvement in the strike
and those who remain working will be too afraid to seek union help in the future

the employees must be members of a recognized bargaining unit
and THEN they should strike, while they will have genuine union protection

Currently the full-time minimum wage is $16.37 per hour or $622.20 per week. This means that most employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.
that's from australia. where the chasm between rich and poor is nothing like in the USA
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/pages/default.aspx

i am not opposed to a higher minimum wage. what i am opposed to is demoralizing another generation of workers about the usefulness of the unions
in an economy where any low/no skill employee can be replaced in minutes, to have these workers now walk off the job in protest will only cost them their jobs - and any credibility the unions had remaining

that the unions would support this is beyond stupid. full disclosure, i am a union officer

they don't need to strike. they need to organize, and then negotiate better working conditions.

here's what i'd ask for :

more control over hours
access to full time opportunities
better opportunities for promotion
better pay and benefits if promoted.

the base pay is always going to suck; the fifteen bucks an hour base pay is not going to happen. what is lacking is control over hours, and there should be more opportunities to get promoted. i'll gladly pay an extra buck for the big mac meal if they do that.
^this

The fast food workers striking all work at major chains, yes? And they are demanding increased pay for THEMSELVES, not an across the board pay increase for all workers, correct? So how exactly are mom and pop eateries going to be affected?

Also, the people striking are not union, correct? Meaning, they can all be fired with minimal punitive legal consequences, right?

So lets see what happens. Either the company desides it's cheaper to close shop for a couple days while the fire the existing staff, and train new hires, or they decide its cheaper to increase their current employees pay.

Looks like free market principles in action.

Heya KK. :2wave: Independent Franchises Right? Aren't they still Mom and Pop Small businesses?

Well, to be honest I was looking at the Independent Franchise Owner.....which he still has to pay out to carry the Name. Then Businesses like Fast Food joints inside a Macy's, Sears, or Walmart.

Franchisees also pay significant amounts to the central corporation. McDonald's, for instance, charges franchise owners 4 percent of gross sales as well as rent. Owners are often required to buy their good and supplies from the company, eliminating competitive pressures that could lower expenses. Food and beverage costs at multi-unit franchise-operated restaurants ranged from 21 percent to 36 percent of income, with a median cost of 34.6 percent of revenue. Franchisees also may have to pay a percentage of sales for advertising.

In other words, the corporations that back fast-food restaurants add significant costs to franchisees' operations. McDonald's makes almost a third of its annual revenue from franchisees. So even if only a minority of the operations are directly owned and run by the big companies, the low wages that many of the franchisees claim they need to make a profit effectively subsidize the global corporation.....snip~
Right. So, do you think that, should these employees get their way, and get their pay up to, say, 11.50, that the corporation will accept the subsequent loss of 1/3 of its revenue base as a result of franchisees being unable to stay in business? Seems to me, the corporation is more to blame for low profit margins of franchisees than employees.

If Walmart's CEO had their pay reduced to zero then that would allow each Walmart employee to make $9/year more. $9/year amounts to a $.0043269/hour raise. Why do you think that any entry level postion's pay should be able to support a family of 4? What of those that now make $12/hour should they get no pay increase out of "fairness"?

Invariably, the same people that whine about CEO pay also whine that businesses are too big and should be broken up. The reason CEO's get such enormous pay is because they run such enormous companies. The CEO of a company making 1.2 million a year doesn't get a multi-million dollar salary but the CEO of a company making 800 billion a year might. And why not? If you make 120K for managing a multi million dollar business, why wouldn't you make 1000 times more than that if the business you managed was a multi-billion dollar business 1000 times larger.

Heya WD. :2wave: Well Obama was calling for the raise to go to 9 an Hour. Most people surveyed say 10 an hr would be adequate. Again many of these jobs are entry level jobs. So what does the independent franchisee do. Since his Profit margins are tighter. Plus he is paying the Subsidy and rent to the Corporate name? 22-35 percent for salaries and wages alone.

Also I think Ttwtt brought up a good point about paying 50% higher than already.

the problem is bigger than this ... we're in a race to the bottom as corporations look for higher and higher profits, and that is likely to end in a crash, and I doubt that any president, from either party, will be able to do much to stop it ...

Heya KK. :2wave: Independent Franchises Right? Aren't they still Mom and Pop Small businesses?

No, their costs are fixed, their prices more or less set. Their product controlled, their marketing funded, etc. they are a mom and pop like the Republican Party is a grass roots orginization.

Heya Ttwtt. :2wave: That's another thing.....how many quit without Notice and take a better job? Moreover why are they sticking at 15 an hour. Wasn't last time out that they were saying 10 or 12 an hour? Also is that a 50 % increase?

Here is what some say too.

“Fifteen an hour I think is more than fair. We should ask for more, but we’re being nice ... They are building the company on our backs.”

Read more: Fast-food workers call for a nationwide strike before Labor Day - NY Daily News

How about the guy that owns 4 or 5 franchises and built them up himself and worked at all of them to make his dream come true?

Invariably, the same people that whine about CEO pay also whine that businesses are too big and should be broken up. The reason CEO's get such enormous pay is because they run such enormous companies. The CEO of a company making 1.2 million a year doesn't get a multi-million dollar salary but the CEO of a company making 800 billion a year might. And why not? If you make 120K for managing a multi million dollar business, why wouldn't you make 1000 times more than that if the business you managed was a multi-billion dollar business 1000 times larger.
Obviously performance has nothing to do with it.

It's not the pay in of itself, it's the way in which companies are ran now...which is to say, right into the ground. Short term gains over long term viability. Profit over quality.

Asking for gross wages of $120/day, when others are willing to work for $72/day is not likely to succeed.

Wage negotiation is all about bargaining power. Can you see the example of dynamic monopsony in the one you posted above? Hint: think along the lines of alternatives.

Last edited:
Obviously performance has nothing to do with it.

It's not the pay in of itself, it's the way in which companies are ran now...which is to say, right into the ground. Short term gains over long term viability. Profit over quality.

That's a classic example of someone "just saying stuff".

How do you feel about a Nationwide Strike by Fast Food Workers? To be carried out in most major US Cities? Should these Unions be pushing for a Nation Wide Strike? Should they raise Minimum Wage to 15 dollars an hour? According to some doing this Would also increase the cost of the product. Their example is.....using the 15 dollar mark. That a big Mac would go up minimum 87cents. Do you think this would hurt the Country by getting all in this field to strike and take a day off work? What is the impact of stopping the spending of money? Should the Unions be gone after for attempting to derail small business? Meaning shouldn't they be brought out to speak to all about their plans. Rather than just setting up demonstrations and strikes?

A coalition of labor, religious and other groups are calling for a nationwide strike of fast-food employees on August 29.

The call for a strike came this week from a public relations agency that counts both the Service Employees International Union and United Food & Commercial Workers as clients. Both labor groups are among dozens of local and national religious, political, and union groups supporting the call for strikes. Last month, the same groups supported walkouts in some fast-food restaurants across seven cities. Others that have supported the event are the United Auto Workers, the Presbyterian Church USA, individual churches and synagogues like St. John's Catholic Church of St. Louis, and some members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, including Minnesota Congressman Keith Ellison.

The groups are calling for a minimum wage of $15 an hour for fast-food workers, along with more protections for employees wishing to unionize. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average hourly wage last year for the nation's roughly 505,000 fast-food cooks was $9.03 an hour, which amounts to $18,780 per year. The 2.9 million food preparation and serving workers had an average hourly wage of $9, or annual income of $18,720.

According to researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a single adult in New York City would need to earn $12.75 an hour to support themselves. Add a child and the number jumps to $24.69. In Chicago, a single adult would need to make $10.48 an hour, or $9.48 in Milwaukee.

The groups pushing for a strike note that fast food is a $200 billion a year industry, with enormously well compensated CEOs. Industry leader McDonald's (MCD) had total revenues of $27.6 billion and profits of $5.5 billion last year.....snip~

Fast-food workers urged to stage nationwide strike - CBS News

Wouldn't it be ironic if the companies fired all those who went on strike and replaced them with the Dreamers Obama allowed to legally work here with his executive order just before the election.

Back
Top Bottom