• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fast-food Workers Urged to Stage Nationwide Strike......

Yes... of the article you linked... what I had seen prior in other articles simply stated that they were dropping spousal coverage..as have been a number of other companies ...

It will be interesting to see if UPS sticks to that policy... it may work out for them.. or they may find out the tax consequences (particularly if they ARE self insured), or the increase in wage pressure will be too great...

UVA is doing the same thing.

"University of Virginia cuts some health benefits, citing ObamaCare costs"

"In an effort to cut costs, UVA's healthcare benefits will no longer be available to some employees' spouses.

Spouses who have access to insurance coverage through their own employer will no longer be able to use the UVA plan, the university said in a news release.

The change does not affect coverage for children or spouses who do not have access to insurance through a separate employer."

University of Virginia cuts some health benefits, citing ObamaCare costs - The Hill's Healthwatch

They're back.....Looks like today the Food Strikers will hold some more rallies. So remember today before ya go out to hit any of these places. Might come across some real slow service today.

U.S. fast-food workers plan nationwide strikes over wages

2013-08-29T112604Z_1_CBRE97S0VRK00_RTROPTP_2_USA-FASTFOOD-WAGES.JPG

Fast-food workers across the United States are expected to stage their largest strike to date on Thursday in an almost year-long campaign to raise wages in the service sector.

Employees of McDonald's Corp, Wendy's Restaurants LLC, Burger King Worldwide Inc and others have pledged to walk off their jobs in 50 cities from Boston, Mass, to Alameda, Calif., organizers say. They are expected to be joined by retail employees at stores owned by Macy's Inc, Sears Holdings Corp and Dollar Tree Inc in some cities.

The strike follows a similar protest last November, when some 200 workers walked off their fast-food jobs in New York City. Groups in Chicago, Kansas City, Detroit and other cities followed their lead in April and July.

The workers want to form unions and bargain higher wages with their employers without facing retaliation from franchisees or their parent companies. They are demanding $15 an hour, up from $7.25, which is the current federal minimum wage.

The pre-Labor Day strikes will include movements in several Southern states, a region that has historically been challenging for organized labor.....snip~

That's is correct.....a year long. Constantly taking off work and striking. This marks how many strikes they have held, since last year? Do you think it is the same workers always taking off? Always ready to strike?

How do you think that will play out in those Southern States.

They're back.....Looks like today the Food Strikers will hold some more rallies. So remember today before ya go out to hit any of these places. Might come across some real slow service today.

That's is correct.....a year long. Constantly taking off work and striking. This marks how many strikes they have held, since last year? Do you think it is the same workers always taking off? Always ready to strike?

How do you think that will play out in those Southern States.

There are too many people looking for any kind of work at this point.

It may, in the long run, have an effect on wages, but I highly doubt to the level or degree they are seeking.

There are too many people looking for any kind of work at this point.

It may, in the long run, have an effect on wages, but I highly doubt to the level or degree they are seeking.

Mornin GG :2wave: .....well you are Right. There are a lot of other people out of work and looking for jobs. Even part time jobs. So how do you think that plays out with the Southern States.

Should the people in Major Urban Cities make the same as Small town America who doesn't see as much business or revenue?

Wonder if people who want a change in immigration feel about insuring a living wage in America. When these people can work at these major companies en masse how does that change the supply/demand equation for low skilled jobs.

People who feel this would have no or little impact would have to explain why.

Mornin GG :2wave: .....well you are Right. There are a lot of other people out of work and looking for jobs. Even part time jobs. So how do you think that plays out with the Southern States.

Should the people in Major Urban Cities make the same as Small town America who doesn't see as much business or revenue?

Nope.

As I stated before, FMW shouldn't get involved in this. If the States or even regions want to address wage levels, that is where it should be addressed. Not every one has the same costs of living, and to raise the wages across the board would devastate certain areas, causing even more economic damage.

I view the double-the-wage demand as ridiculous and unattainable. Though the true goal of the organizers may be $9.50, they wouldn't want to tell the workers that, since their support would likely be nonexistent. They'll demand $15, settle for $9.50, workers will pay Union dues, Union ranks may grow, employers will wipe their brows in relief, and prices for burgers and fries will still go up.

Wonder if people who want a change in immigration feel about insuring a living wage in America. When these people can work at these major companies en masse how does that change the supply/demand equation for low skilled jobs.

People who feel this would have no or little impact would have to explain why.

Heya WN. :2wave: Well.....do you think that an Entry level job at a Fast Food place, should start off at making 31k a year. While working part time hours?

How is this going to affect waiters and waitress who get paid mínimum and then tips?

If they are going to get paid $15.00 per hour then maybe the tips should go to the house.

If your only option is to work fast food to support yourself and or your family the problems is with you not fast food wages

Heya WN. :2wave: Well.....do you think that an Entry level job at a Fast Food place, should start off at making 31k a year. While working part time hours?

Good morning. No I think the doubling makes no sense.

Just wondering if the same people who are in favor also are in favor of adding millions more to the unskilled work pool which just makes worse the supply/demand element of this issue.

How is this going to affect waiters and waitress who get paid mínimum and then tips?

If they are going to get paid $15.00 per hour then maybe the tips should go to the house.

Heya Mason.....that's a good question? Wonder how that does affect Restaurant owners?

Good morning. No I think the doubling makes no sense.

Just wondering if the same people who are in favor also are in favor of
adding millions more to the unskilled work pool which just makes worse the supply/demand element of this issue.

please explain that statement
the one that tells us employers are currently employing millions of people that they do not actually need in their business operations

Let them walk out, if the managment caves, then the cost of whatever trash they make there will increase.

People will shop somewhere else, and then the employees that demanded the arbitrary wage increase will be laid off.

please explain that statement
the one that tells us employers are currently employing millions of people that they do not actually need in their business operations

What I think I said ( or tried to) is not that people have hired more people than needed, but that the pool of unskilled workers will expand. So what do I mean by that.

My sense of the many of illegal immigrants who came here with no skills are working for LESS than the current legal minimum wage and/or are working very physically demanding jobs.
Once we have immigration reform laws allowing these people to come out and compete in the open market, they will look at those minimum wage jobs as a pay increase and will flock to those jobs.

That is what I meant by swelling the people looking for those jobs.

What I think I said ( or tried to) is not that people have hired more people than needed, but that the pool of unskilled workers will expand. So what do I mean by that.

My sense of the many of illegal immigrants who came here with no skills are working for LESS than the current legal minimum wage and/or are working very physically demanding jobs.
Once we have immigration reform laws allowing these people to come out and compete in the open market, they will look at those minimum wage jobs as a pay increase and will flock to those jobs.

That is what I meant by swelling the people looking for those jobs.

ok, i see where you are coming from now
that was MY error in misunderstanding your post. i reached for a point that was not being made

have been hearing the news accounts of the strike (in NYC) where the press agents for the franchise owners insist that one outcome of the requested wage hike, if realized, would be massive layoffs
as if the fast food restaurants are currently employing a lot more unskilled staff because they work for cheap wages
bull ****! these restaurants hire the number of employees they have because that is the number required to fulfill the work requirement
increased wage rates would not result in layoffs; they would result in food price increases and diminished ownership profits

i do subscribe to your stated position that the failure to enforce immigration laws swells the pool of illegals willing to work for low wages, adversely impacting American citizens within that - artificially swelled - low wage pool of employees

Meanwhile, college students have been brainwashed into thinking that they have to work for nothing in order to "get their foot in the door".

Yeah **** unpaid internships.

Oh, just went to McDonalds and they were short staffed. Apparently they weren't kidding. :lol:

Went to a McDonald's the other day to get 2 cheeseburgers and a small fries at the drive up. The kid handed me two wrapped burgers out the window before he realized he hadn't sacked them then gave them back to me in the sack, sans the fries. I waited for him to return to the window and finally got my fries, with attitude.

He wasn't worth $2.00 hour, let alone $15.

that was MY error in misunderstanding your post. i reached for a point that was not being made

have been hearing the news accounts of the strike (in NYC) where the press agents for the franchise owners insist that one outcome of the requested wage hike, if realized, would be massive layoffs
as if the fast food restaurants are currently employing a lot more unskilled staff because they work for cheap wages
bull ****! these restaurants hire the number of employees they have because that is the number required to fulfill the work requirement
increased wage rates would not result in layoffs; they would result in food price increases and diminished ownership profits

i do subscribe to your stated position that the failure to enforce immigration laws swells the pool of illegals willing to work for low wages, adversely impacting American citizens within that - artificially swelled - low wage pool of employees

wrong. if price of labor gets to the point it is cheaper to invest in a machine/robot to do the work guess what they will do

you are seeing it happen in the automobile industry. to cut back on the amount of high cost human labor they are being replaced by a machine/robot

So, how did that Strike turn out yesterday? Anybody cave and give them any type of offers?

Wages go up --> cost of product goes up --> sales go down --> Need fewer workers.

So, how did that Strike turn out yesterday? Anybody cave and give them any type of offers?

Ironically, I forgot about this strike yesterday and just happened to make a rare stop for fast food at lunch. The Chik-fil-A wasn't hurting for employees.

Ironically, I forgot about this strike yesterday and just happened to make a rare stop for fast food at lunch. The Chik-fil-A wasn't hurting for employees.

Heya JM :2wave: we didn't have any about and out with Micky D's. No Strikers down around our area.

Back
Top Bottom