• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fast food workers in walkout to demand double the pay...

Where's the beef? Fast-food workers in walkout to protest low wages | Fox News

$15 bucks an hour? It's ******* fast food you idiots! If you want a job to live on, one that is now a 'starter' job for any moron, then get out of flipping burgers and asking 'do you want fries with that'. Good lord.

As if it takes enough skill or work to warrant that kind of money. The entitlement mentality generation for sure. [/FONT][/COLOR]

It would be a shame if these people get their way, since I'd imagine most of them would be out of work. If McDonald's et al is going to have to pay $15 an hour for their help? They are not going to hire people who can barely speak English . . . who've never worked a day in their lives . . . who show up late . . . who have to be trained to even be courteous to their customers . . . who can't put an intelligent sentence together . . . etc., etc., etc.

McDonald's-type jobs are for work-force entry. Make them more than that? Those entering the workforce for the first time will be sweeping parking lots.

It would be a shame if these people get their way, since I'd imagine most of them would be out of work. If McDonald's et al is going to have to pay $15 an hour for their help? They are not going to hire people who can barely speak English . . . who've never worked a day in their lives . . . who show up late . . . who have to be trained to even be courteous to their customers . . . who can't put an intelligent sentence together . . . etc., etc., etc.

McDonald's-type jobs are for work-force entry. Make them more than that? Those entering the workforce for the first time will be sweeping parking lots.

The sad part is that if they did get the raise next week they'd ask for less hours because all of a sudden they'd find out that they would no longer qualify for a bunch of the other benefits they're likely eligible for.

The sad part is that if they did get the raise next week they'd ask for less hours because all of a sudden they'd find out that they would no longer qualify for a bunch of the other benefits they're likely eligible for.

No...fast food chains would go the way of Blockbuster Video. Sure, they'd get a raise, but first they'd be knocked down to one shift a week. Then would come the store closings. Thousands (if not tens of thousands) laid off.

...and it would serve them right. Where would they go for that unskilled, uneducated job then? Well...I guess strip clubs are always looking for new talent.

No...fast food chains would go the way of Blockbuster Video. Sure, they'd get a raise, but first they'd be knocked down to one shift a week. Then would come the store closings. Thousands (if not tens of thousands) laid off.

...and it would serve them right. Where would they go for that unskilled, uneducated job then? Well...I guess strip clubs are always looking for new talent.

I don't know about that. Most fast food jobs are so dumbed down already that you could replace most employees with little to no effort. Blockbuster went away because renting a video got dumbed down to the point where employees weren't even necessary.

I don't know about that. Most fast food jobs are so dumbed down already that you could replace most employees with little to no effort. Blockbuster went away because renting a video got dumbed down to the point where employees weren't even necessary.

Actually, I made the comparison based more on the result, and not so much on the cause.

Have you?

And if so...why? Why are you, as a worker, only worth $10/hour? Is it because you lack any meaningful skills? Is it because you suck at money management? I mean, obviously if you were worth more (as an individual) you should be able to find and maintain good employment elsewhere, instead of flipping burgers like a 17-year old, right?

...and before you start in with the "I'm worth more than $10/hour at McDonalds" route, here's one thing to think about...you do not dictate your worth. Sure you might possess special skills that are more valuable than a teenager living in Mommy's basement. Sure you might be able to negotiate a wage, or market yourself to a higher amount of earning. In the end however, it is not you who dictates your worth. It is the entity willing to employ you, who dictates what he pays you. Either win him over, or GTFO.

Let's talk about that here. What about the personal responsibility of these people? What thought processes went on in this person's mind, where squeezing out a child was anything remotely close to a good idea, if all she can find is $10/hour work? Is it your belief that all you have to do is download a child and it automatically becomes someone else’s responsibility to cover the costs? And how much government assistance is available for that child anyway? I'll bet this loser of a mother's income is much higher than the $10/hour she receives in pay, when you factor in the tax credits, food stamps, WIC program, etc.

I have. Twice in my life. The last time was when I was 37, when I was laid off as a software engineer. Let me tell you, child...just because the job goes away, doesn't mean the bills go away too.

The difference was that I didn't whine about it like a [kitty]. I decided it was proper to pick myself up, instead of dragging someone down to my level. I took those jobs at Lowe's and Target (for $7.25/hr) because I had too much pride and dignity to collect unemployment. I didn't contribute to this sickening plague of wealth envy that our society's losers are infected with. I also lived within my means. No cell phone. No cable bill. No dining out. No nothing. I hunkered down and did what I had to do. Now, I have a decent job (without Mother Government's assistance), and can say with full confidence that I've been there, but I'm a far better person than any of these unskilled choads that make bad decisions in their lives.

Sure there is a small number of exceptions, but I'm generalizing when I say that burger flippers and cashier jockeys are a dime-a-dozen. They are jobs that are for the unskilled, uneducated, less motivated people in our society. If they don't like working for $10/hour, then either go get skilled...get educated...get motivated...or fk off and gimme my fries before I call your manager.

Guy, you've got a real problem. For one thing, before you were fired, you were a software engineer, which means you had real, salable skills - you KNEW in your gut that at some point, you'd get picked up by someone who could use your skill. But when all you've got is a high school diploma (and sometimes not even that) it ain't so easy to have that kind of confidence in oneself...

...so NO, you have NOT walked a mile in their shoes. Not when you had that kind of work history and the education to back it up.

What's more, you didn't mention any kind of family, which tells me that you weren't having to support a family, either. There's all too many people - especially young girls - who get caught in that kind of trap, and the problems they face is beyond anything you've faced, because even if you were trying to raise a family on $7.25 an hour, again, you KNEW you had salable skills, professional white-collar experience. They DON'T.

In other words, you've got some of the right kind of pride, but you've got a lot of the wrong kind of pride, too, by having the hubris to think that you've had it hard. You think you have...but no, you haven't.

Guy, you've got a real problem. For one thing, before you were fired, you were a software engineer, which means you had real, salable skills - you KNEW in your gut that at some point, you'd get picked up by someone who could use your skill. But when all you've got is a high school diploma (and sometimes not even that) it ain't so easy to have that kind of confidence in oneself...
1. I wasn't fired. I was downsized. Low man on the totem pole. Yes, I had skills, but in this economy clients aren't really keen to paying $250,000 for software. They'd rather hump along for another 3-5 years. No work = no job.

2. When all you have is a high school diploma (or not even), then I'm sorry...you deserve that $10/hour job. You failed at putting yourself in a situation to better yourself. Who to blame? Go find a mirror, Failure.

What's more, you didn't mention any kind of family, which tells me that you weren't having to support a family, either. There's all too many people - especially young girls - who get caught in that kind of trap, and the problems they face is beyond anything you've faced, because even if you were trying to raise a family on $7.25 an hour, again, you KNEW you had salable skills, professional white-collar experience. They DON'T.
I do not have children. Why? I know I can't afford them. I am responsible in understanding my financial situation. All those people who "get caught in that kind of trap?" Bullchips. It's that girl's fault that she didn't keep her legs closed in high school. It's that girl's fault that she's got a part-time job but downloading a kid sounds like a good idea. it's that girl's fault that she didn't take advantage of education and make something of herself. This pithy little victim card thing is a bunch of horse crap. When you boil it all down, and strip off the biases, generally people are in "that girl's" situation because of the piss-poor decisions they make in their life. Get some freakin' responsibility and stop trying to blame others for your suckage. This is like the only child who broke a lamp, but still tries to blame someone else.

In other words, you've got some of the right kind of pride, but you've got a lot of the wrong kind of pride, too, by having the hubris to think that you've had it hard. You think you have...but no, you haven't.
Oh...and all I have is a high school diploma. Again...it's about taking advantage of the choices you have.

Go ahead...give me something else to knock down, because these liberal talking points are too easy.

Perhaps a good time for the military to hit up the fast food joints with recruiting material. ;)

The military doesn't need to recruit.

The high schoolers who work part time for McDonald's are easy targets for recruiters after graduation.

1. I wasn't fired. I was downsized. Low man on the totem pole. Yes, I had skills, but in this economy clients aren't really keen to paying $250,000 for software. They'd rather hump along for another 3-5 years. No work = no job.

2. When all you have is a high school diploma (or not even), then I'm sorry...you deserve that $10/hour job. You failed at putting yourself in a situation to better yourself. Who to blame? Go find a mirror, Failure.

I do not have children. Why? I know I can't afford them. I am responsible in understanding my financial situation. All those people who "get caught in that kind of trap?" Bullchips. It's that girl's fault that she didn't keep her legs closed in high school. It's that girl's fault that she's got a part-time job but downloading a kid sounds like a good idea. it's that girl's fault that she didn't take advantage of education and make something of herself. This pithy little victim card thing is a bunch of horse crap. When you boil it all down, and strip off the biases, generally people are in "that girl's" situation because of the piss-poor decisions they make in their life. Get some freakin' responsibility and stop trying to blame others for your suckage. This is like the only child who broke a lamp, but still tries to blame someone else.

Oh...and all I have is a high school diploma. Again...it's about taking advantage of the choices you have.

Go ahead...give me something else to knock down, because these liberal talking points are too easy.

Okay, all you have is a high school diploma - but you DO have salable, white collar skills and professional experience. You did not walk a mile in their shoes.

And there you're blaming the girls - conservatives often do that. And while you're at it, blame the girls who were raped - usually by someone they knew - and then were forced to take the child to term because they can't get an abortion in oh-so-holy red states. If you knew half so much as you think you know, you'd know that life isn't a series of black-and-white decisions, but it's a long process of shades of gray.

I've been a Foster parent of medically-fragile children for almost fifteen years now. In the beginning I was all too quick to blame the parents for not taking care of their children, for the mother taking drugs or alcohol while pregnant - now I know better. I understand enough now to know that in *almost* all cases between the mother and the child, there is no blame. Just because you yourself think her choices were so clear and easy to make, when you're in her situation, it ain't so easy. And if a girl does do something stupid in school and gets pregnant, does that mean that she and her child should always be consigned to not-even-subsistence wages?

Guy, you simply don't know. It's all black and white to you - and that in and of itself is proof to me that you simply don't know, and that you are flatly unaware of the depth of your ignorance of the lives of others.

Try living in the city even by yourself on even $10/hour before taxes. It ain't easy...and if one is the breadwinner of a family (as too many single mothers are), it's doggone near impossible. Try walking the other guy's moccasins for a mile or two before you start judging him for what he says or does.

Fast food jobs aren't meant to be a living wage. It is literally the least skilled job in the world. It is meant to be a way for teenagers to learn responsibility and be rewarded with Xboxs.

Have you?

And if so...why? Why are you, as a worker, only worth $10/hour?

Hm. Let me see here. I really try to never brag - someone who brags isn't honorable. But you're assuming my opinions come from my apparent poverty.

I'm running an adult family home, I take care of a medically-fragile Foster child. I'm retired Navy (90% disabled). I take possession of another house on Thursday. I've got a house (free and clear) in the Philippines in a development where several congressmen live. I take in about 13K per month, nearly 8K of which is tax-free, and beginning in September we'll be taking in significantly more in revenue...and I guarantee you there are others here who make much more than I do. You probably do, and good for you. You're quite welcome to it. One of the things that I'm happy I don't have is envy of others.

But you know what? All this is chump change. Because if we can't help make the lives of less-fortunate people better, if we can't lend a hand to help other people achieve more than they thought they could, all this money, all this...stuff is not any better than ashes.

But I'll tell you this - you think you've known hard times, but you haven't. Like most Americans, you've no clue about real poverty. Go live in a third-world nation sometime, and find out what life is like for the poor when there's little or no social safety net, when there's no enforcable minimum wage, when you can't get medical care unless you can first provide proof of ability to pay. That's when you learn a bit more about what people are willing to do to earn their next meal, and how incredibly hard - and how rare - it is for them to be able to work their way up out of poverty.

Maybe you have lived in a third-world nation. Maybe you grew up in one and know life there better than I do. Who knows? We're all anonymous here. But I'll tell you this - you need to learn that there is very little that is black-and-white, that so many of our most important decisions are shades of gray...and that we, being HUMAN, really screw up a lot of those decisions. My personal yardstick of whether someone should be helped is *malice* - if I see no malice in someone, I'll probably help them...and I'm usually happy to do so.

Guys, guys, free market principles and personal liberty only apply to the businesses, not the workers. When a business does its best to improve its financial situation, it's the sacred free market at work. When workers do the same, it's evil communism bent on destroying America.

Fast food jobs aren't meant to be a living wage. It is literally the least skilled job in the world. It is meant to be a way for teenagers to learn responsibility and be rewarded with Xboxs.

tell that to the people at McDonalds Corporate HQ. They are making bucks.

Where's the beef? Fast-food workers in walkout to protest low wages | Fox News

$15 bucks an hour? It's ******* fast food you idiots! If you want a job to live on, one that is now a 'starter' job for any moron, then get out of flipping burgers and asking 'do you want fries with that'. Good lord.

As if it takes enough skill or work to warrant that kind of money. The entitlement mentality generation for sure. [/FONT][/COLOR]

The great thing about America is that people get to make choices. If these people join a union and strike, they can hope the owners of the restaurants can not find others willing to work for less, or that customers will choose not to pass a picket line.

It would be interesting to know if these people support legalizing illegal immigrants. Because those folks would jump at yet another job that Americans feel is below them.

tell that to the people at McDonalds Corporate HQ. They are making bucks.

McDonald's doesn't technically own any of their restaurants. (Maybe a couple of 'special' flagship units) They're franchises that are independently operated. So the people making money at corp HQ (the degreed accountants,marketers, lawyers, successful franchise owners) don't really control wages at those restaurants and their professional salaries shouldn't be compared to workers there. Go to community college on the cheap when working at McDonalds and then go apply at corporate for a job with your new accounting degree - if you're good, you'll get a job and have the chance to move up the ladder until all too soon you'll be complaining about these food service people asking for a doubling of their current wages.

McDonald's doesn't technically own any of their restaurants. (Maybe a couple of 'special' flagship units) They're franchises that are independently operated. So the people making money at corp HQ (the degreed accountants,marketers, lawyers, successful franchise owners) don't really control wages at those restaurants and their professional salaries shouldn't be compared to workers there. Go to community college on the cheap when working at McDonalds and then go apply at corporate for a job with your new accounting degree - if you're good, you'll get a job and have the chance to move up the ladder until all too soon you'll be complaining about these food service people asking for a doubling of their current wages.

Then don't say there is not money in fast food because obviously there is.

Then don't say there is not money in fast food because obviously there is.

Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. You are aware that restaurants (yes, franchised restaurants) fail all the time. I would assume that's in part due to lack of money.

And by the way, please post my quote about there not being money in fast food. I'd love to see it.

Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. You are aware that restaurants (yes, franchised restaurants) fail all the time. I would assume that's in part due to lack of money.

And by the way, please post my quote about there not being money in fast food. I'd love to see it.

Maybe it wasnt you that said that. My point still stands though there is big money in fast food.

If you need a job to feed your kids and a job at McDonald's is the only one you can get, you'll take it, and gladly...even though it doesn't pay enough to reliably feed, shelter, and clothe a young mother and her child(ren). Maybe she has those kids because she was irresponsible, like some on here would claim. But maybe she has those kids because her marriage dissolved and her husband skipped town. Or maybe her husband died and had no insurance. Or maybe her husband can't (or won't) work anymore.

Go to a fast-food restaurant sometime and TALK to the older workers and ask them why they're working there. Sure, some of them are there because they made unwise decisions...but all too often they're there because something tragic happened, and they have no other choice.

Shades of gray. Not black and white - shades of gray.

Another thing to think about, guy - for every job opening, there's 3.07 Americans wanting that job. When you open up the paper and see all those help-wanted ads, there's many, many people - grown adults with children - who don't have the skills those jobs require. A couple years ago, McDonald's offered 60,000 or so jobs, and wound up turning away nearly a million applicants, many even with college degrees. But to listen to y'all, well, it was these peoples' fault somehow, and how dare we talk about raising the minimum wage!

All of the above goes to show one thing - it's silly, stupid to think that a fast-food job should only pay chump change. And more than anything else, here's the key: if the job doesn't pay enough for a breadwinner to feed the family, that family WILL go on the government dole. So that's your choice: you can either require the employer pay a living wage (and pay an extra dollar or so per Happy Meal), OR you, the taxpayer, can effectively SUBSIDIZE that employer by paying for the food stamps the person needs to feed his or her family...OR you can still pay crappy minimum wages and have no social safety net and the families have to hit the streets and bring up the crime rate and bring down the property values, which means you wind up paying ANYWAY in terms of more crime and less tax revenue for things like schools and roads.

Any way you look at it, you pay. So...your choice: require a living wage, OR pay for more food stamps and other government assistance, OR pay for more jails and police and deal with even crappier schools and roads.

What's your choice?

Okay, all you have is a high school diploma - but you DO have salable, white collar skills and professional experience.
Do you think I was born with it? Was it divine intervention? No. I worked for those things.

You did not walk a mile in their shoes.
I could have. I just made the choice not to.

And there you're blaming the girls - conservatives often do that. And while you're at it, blame the girls who were raped - usually by someone they knew - and then were forced to take the child to term because they can't get an abortion in oh-so-holy red states. If you knew half so much as you think you know, you'd know that life isn't a series of black-and-white decisions, but it's a long process of shades of gray.
Remember...I was generalizing. You can't just pull some exception, or low percentage situation out of your ass and expect me to believe that's the norm. And sorry to disappoint you, but I'm pro-abortion. Don't pigeonhole.

I've been a Foster parent of medically-fragile children for almost fifteen years now. In the beginning I was all too quick to blame the parents for not taking care of their children, for the mother taking drugs or alcohol while pregnant - now I know better. I understand enough now to know that in *almost* all cases between the mother and the child, there is no blame. Just because you yourself think her choices were so clear and easy to make, when you're in her situation, it ain't so easy. And if a girl does do something stupid in school and gets pregnant, does that mean that she and her child should always be consigned to not-even-subsistence wages?
It is very commendable what you're doing. It takes a lot of patience to do what you do. However, I'm still of the mindset that you're dealing with a fringe minority of what we're talking about. The vast majority of these people who are whining about low pay are people who could have stayed in school (and payed attention). They could have kept their legs closed (or their pants zipped up). Most drug addicts are that way voluntarily. Life has consequences, even for those who refuse to accept responsibility for their actions.

Guy, you simply don't know. It's all black and white to you - and that in and of itself is proof to me that you simply don't know, and that you are flatly unaware of the depth of your ignorance of the lives of others.
Of course there are grey areas. Of course there are special cases. Generally, the vast majority of people who are "stuck" in crap jobs like that are people that deserve it. You'll never change my mind on that. I know too many people who've made something of themselves...on their own...because they just became fed up with their lifestyle.

And this is one of the main problems with our society. Too many people who are comfortable where they're at, as long as they can be a victim. As long as there's someone to blame. They're never honest with themselves, and face up to the fact that they can make a change in their own life. They can get a job outside of a McDonalds. It just takes more determination than they want to expend.

Do you think I was born with it? Was it divine intervention? No. I worked for those things.

Like you're the only one who has? If you knew anything about being a single parent, THEN you'd learn about what work is. There was a time that my wife couldn't work so I took on a second job - and I counted it as easy, because she was the one at home with the baby. After that was the time that I knocked out three years of computer science in eighteen months while on active duty, and the only reason I couldn't finish it was because I had to transfer. But in all that, I never thought I was overloaded with work - my wife was, when it was her at home with one child.

You've got a LOT to learn about what work really is, it seems.

Generally, the vast majority of people who are "stuck" in crap jobs like that are people that deserve it. You'll never change my mind on that.

Yeah, I remember the days I thought that. Then I grew up.

If you need a job to feed your kids and a job at McDonald's is the only one you can get, you'll take it, and gladly...even though it doesn't pay enough to reliably feed, shelter, and clothe a young mother and her child(ren). Maybe she has those kids because she was irresponsible, like some on here would claim. But maybe she has those kids because her marriage dissolved and her husband skipped town. Or maybe her husband died and had no insurance. Or maybe her husband can't (or won't) work anymore.

Obviously you aren't taking the job "gladly" if you plan to bitch and moan that you need your pay doubled. Sorry, the world doesn't work this way. Just because a family needs a "living" wage doesn't mean that every job needs to provide a living wage. Jobs that require no skill at all will not pay a living wage.

Go to a fast-food restaurant sometime and TALK to the older workers and ask them why they're working there. Sure, some of them are there because they made unwise decisions...but all too often they're there because something tragic happened, and they have no other choice.

There is no doubt that if you are over the age of 20 and working at McDonald's something went wrong, but that isn't the point. The point is the job you are doing is unskilled and anybody on the street can do it.

Shades of gray. Not black and white - shades of gray.

Nope. Unskilled labor, not life stories - Unskilled labor.

Another thing to think about, guy - for every job opening, there's 3.07 Americans wanting that job. When you open up the paper and see all those help-wanted ads, there's many, many people - grown adults with children - who don't have the skills those jobs require. A couple years ago, McDonald's offered 60,000 or so jobs, and wound up turning away nearly a million applicants, many even with college degrees. But to listen to y'all, well, it was these peoples' fault somehow, and how dare we talk about raising the minimum wage!

Which is why the pay is what it is. The problem here is that McDonald's is doing all of this hiring and YOU want to bitch about it. What if McDonald's paid double the minimum wage but hired only 30,000 instead of 60,000... and upped their job requirements to requiring a high school diploma. Is this a victory for the same unskilled uneducated single mom who now doesn't even have a job?

All of the above goes to show one thing - it's silly, stupid to think that a fast-food job should only pay chump change. And more than anything else, here's the key: if the job doesn't pay enough for a breadwinner to feed the family, that family WILL go on the government dole. So that's your choice: you can either require the employer pay a living wage (and pay an extra dollar or so per Happy Meal), OR you, the taxpayer, can effectively SUBSIDIZE that employer by paying for the food stamps the person needs to feed his or her family...OR you can still pay crappy minimum wages and have no social safety net and the families have to hit the streets and bring up the crime rate and bring down the property values, which means you wind up paying ANYWAY in terms of more crime and less tax revenue for things like schools and roads.

A whole load of false dichotomies in that paragraph. If the employer is required to double it's payroll they won't pass all that on to the customer, they will cut staff, they will further automate the process, because any sane person understands that you don't get 17% more revenue by charging 17% more. People will shop there less, and as is the history of the bleeding hearts, I'd assume that 99.999% of all people who claim they will shop at McDonald's more if they pay a "living wage" won't actually do that, and many people who do go to McDonald's will likely go less often if they have to pay more for it.

But then I don't think the average wage warrior really actually gives a good god damn about the actual employees at the local McDonald's and what actually happens to their jobs if McDonald's is forced to double their pay... it's always going to be the imaginary person in their head that they fought for, and that person will always benefit from their efforts.

I bought a sandwich as WaWa the other day and realized that we are only half a step away from eliminating most fast food jobs already. You can eliminate the cashier position over night by simply turning register around and letting the customer push the buttons.

Any way you look at it, you pay. So...your choice: require a living wage, OR pay for more food stamps and other government assistance, OR pay for more jails and police and deal with even crappier schools and roads.

What's your choice?

You've created a false dichotomy. Do I pay a lower amount for a happy meal, and have 60,000 people on partial assistance, or do I pay $1 more and pay for the 30,000 who are now completely without pay because their jobs were cut?

You can't put welfare on a resume, so I opt for McDonald's hiring as many workers as they can at the wage they budget for because work is ALWAYS superior to welfare.

Back when I was graduating high school and was faced with the task of paying my way through college I realized early on that you get paid crap at a fast food restaurant because 1) the job was easy and 2) It required no skills. Since I was young and had no real skill I went looking for the hard jobs that were also unskilled. Most of them involved shovels. I quickly learned that the worse the stuff you were asked to shovel the better the pay. So it came to be that I made far more than double minimum wage for literally shoveling crap.

Maybe it wasnt you that said that. My point still stands though there is big money in fast food.

there is money in fast food because of the volume in fast food. profit margin is very low. fast food restaurants only make about a quarter or less profit per burger and some burgers they actually lose money. the dollar double cheese burger at McDonalds for example. they make up the loss by hoping you buy a drink and fries with it

Back
Top Bottom