• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fast charge car batteries!

Correction. My Camaro is rated at 4.8 second 0-60 and 13.1 for the quarter.

Chevrolet 0-60 Times & Chevy Quarter Mile Times | Corvette, Camaro, Tahoe, & Cruze 0 to 60 stats!

You can get the electric Ford Mustang for less than 40 000 dollars with 0 to 60 miles per hour time is in the mid-six-second range. That is roughly the same or lower time then many of the models on your list. While with the high performance you can drop the 0-to-60 time as low as mid-three seconds.

"Let’s get some specs out of the way. The Mach-E, which will go on sale late in 2020, starts at $43,895. That’s before the $7,500 federal EV tax credit. That base model is rear-wheel drive, and comes with a 75.7 kilowatt hour lithium-ion battery pack good for a 230-mile range. Its 0 to 60 miles per hour time is in the mid-six-second range, and there are three trim levels between that base model and range-topping GT. Depending on how you mix the options—all-wheel drive, a 98.8 kWh battery pack, more powerful motors—you can take that price as high as $60,500, drop the 0-to-60 time as low as mid-three seconds, and push range as far as 300 miles."

Finally, an Exciting Electric Car for the Rest of Us | Outside Online

There are a lot of benefits with a electric both for society the buyer and the society. That the consumer can most of the time charge their car at home or at the work without going to the gas station. Also they will not see there fuel cost spike if there are a new mayor conflict in the Middle East. Electric cars also offer a smooth ride and good performance like for example this new Ford Mustang.

Finally, an Exciting Electric Car for the Rest of Us | Outside Online

You also have the massive social cost of being dependent on fossil fuels. From global warming and toxic pollution to costly wars in the Middle East and supporting some of the world's most brutal and fundamentalist regimes.
But they will see their fuel cost spike if there is a spike in electricity prices, which there could be to fund the vast expansion of infrastructure
for things like work charging stations. We also do not know what changing the peak loads to nighttime hours will do.

But they will see their fuel cost spike if there is a spike in electricity prices, which there could be to fund the vast expansion of infrastructure
for things like work charging stations. We also do not know what changing the peak loads to nighttime hours will do.

Supply and demand...

I wonder how long into the production of electric cars, that gasoline will be cheaper to run. Electric prices can skyrocket as demand outpaces production. Gasoline will just get cheaper as less is used at the same time.

Over 70 percent of car sales was electric or hybrids with around half being pure electric during september in Norway. Without any real problems with infrastructure.

Norway: Electric car share at 54.5% in September - electrive.com

Also the battery capacity of new electric are roughly ten times the daily commute. So most of time electric cars can be charge then it the greatest surplus of electricity. Also the better and better lifespan of electric car battery means that they can be used for energy storage and help regulate supply and demand.

Tesla May Soon Have a Battery That Can Last a Million Miles | WIRED

Also home systems with both solar panels and storage are getting more and more common and affordable. That can both save a lot of money for families and help to regulate supply and demand.

It’s quite possible to turn our homes into micro-generation stations

Over 70 percent of car sales was electric or hybrids with around half being pure electric during september in Norway. Without any real problems with infrastructure.

Norway: Electric car share at 54.5% in September - electrive.com

Also the battery capacity of new electric are roughly ten times the daily commute. So most of time electric cars can be charge then it the greatest surplus of electricity. Also the better and better lifespan of electric car battery means that they can be used for energy storage and help regulate supply and demand.

Tesla May Soon Have a Battery That Can Last a Million Miles | WIRED

Also home systems with both solar panels and storage are getting more and more common and affordable. That can both save a lot of money for families and help to regulate supply and demand.

It’s quite possible to turn our homes into micro-generation stations
None of which addresses moving the peak load period to nighttime!

Supply and demand...

I wonder how long into the production of electric cars, that gasoline will be cheaper to run. Electric prices can skyrocket as demand outpaces production. Gasoline will just get cheaper as less is used at the same time.

Electrical generation would have to be promoted by the various governments. Encouraging the building of nuclear plants for instance and other means (wind, solar, hydro etc)

Now as for gasoline. It may not get cheaper. The infrastructure for the refining and delivery of it may decrease drastically as usage drops. Fewer gas stations and further apart. The issues that currently face electrical cars (where to get recharged ) could easily face gasoline vehicles in the future. That being said, in third world countries with poor electrical generation systems, gas and diesel will still be used heavily either directly or indirectly for transportation. The lower usage will also drive out the marginal production (Shale oil, shale gas and the oil sands to a degree) leading to still relatively high prices, combing with likely high gasoline taxes

LOL...

0-60 mid six seconds.

LOL...

Tesla does that in what? 3.2 seconds?

Ford has a long was to go.

The Blackbird does it in 6.3 seconds, and that was an old 70's vintage without computer stuff. My SLP modified Camaro I believe is rated at 5.1 seconds.

The top trim mach e is expected to do it in the mid 3 second range. The new Tesla truck in 3 seconds (while being bullet resistant to 9 mm handgun rounds)

The top trim mach e is expected to do it in the mid 3 second range. The new Tesla truck in 3 seconds (while being bullet resistant to 9 mm handgun rounds)

Yes, but then it costs so much more.

I haven't looked at new car prices lately, but it seems you are getting base performance acceleration for the more powerful Mustang price. Then to get the high performance version, you have to pay about double the gasoline version.

See my point?

Now I don't know what the SLP modified I have cost new, but I can fathom it costing about $35k in 1996. Today, it's hard to find since it isn't just a SLP modified, but a convertible too. When I bought my 2000 Z28 new off the lot, its sticker price was just under $27k. The convertible option added another $6k at the time.Not considered a classic yet, but someone looking to buy one would have to pay me more than $50k to part with it now. It's very rare today considering only a few hundred convertibles were made SLP modified that year. Only 56 like mine.

Yes, but then it costs so much more.

I haven't looked at new car prices lately, but it seems you are getting base performance acceleration for the more powerful Mustang price. Then to get the high performance version, you have to pay about double the gasoline version.

See my point?

The Mach E GT will have the acceleration of the GT 500 for around the same price, it will carry 5 people in comfort, as opposed to 2

The base Mustang GT can be bought for around 40 K I believe, and will do 0-60 in the mid 4 second range

Now in reality the Mach E should be compared more to mid size CUV's rather than 2 door coupes. The pricing and performance puts it on par with the MB GLC series, the BMW X3's etc. The Mach E GT will be priced lower than the X3 M series and the top MB GLC AMG model while have similar performance levels (not similar luxury levels which I expect will be saved for the Lincoln version sure to come.

A very good effort by Ford, and a generally usable vehicle, but the styling and naming will I expect hurt its sales

Now I don't know what the SLP modified I have cost new, but I can fathom it costing about $35k in 1996. Today, it's hard to find since it isn't just a SLP modified, but a convertible too. When I bought my 2000 Z28 new off the lot, its sticker price was just under $27k. The convertible option added another $6k at the time.Not considered a classic yet, but someone looking to buy one would have to pay me more than $50k to part with it now. It's very rare today considering only a few hundred convertibles were made SLP modified that year. Only 56 like mine.

The rarity could make it a classic, the performance of those years are soundly beaten by equivalent model today. The SS today does 0-60 in the low 4 second range . The 2 L turbo with the 1LE option does it in just over 5 seconds.

It is unbelievable the performance that cars today are getting. Especially considering that a modern Camry with the V6 engine is likely faster than all but the special packages from the muscle car heyday of the late 60s

The rarity could make it a classic, the performance of those years are soundly beaten by equivalent model today. The SS today does 0-60 in the low 4 second range . The 2 L turbo with the 1LE option does it in just over 5 seconds.

It is unbelievable the performance that cars today are getting. Especially considering that a modern Camry with the V6 engine is likely faster than all but the special packages from the muscle car heyday of the late 60s

This is why I think it's laughable than an electric mustang doesn't do around 5 second base.

This is why I think it's laughable than an electric mustang doesn't do around 5 second base.

Remember it is more of a 5 passenger CUV than 2 door sports coupe despite the name.

It certainly does not compare well to base Tesla's in performance

Interesting for sure.

The future looks bright.
In some ways, 75 Kwh of energy in the form of electricity in 10 minuets, is a steep hill to climb.
That is like 480 volts at 937 amps, A single flaw could cause a deadly arc flash.
This would not be like a gasoline fire, the damage would be done in less than a millisecond.

In some ways, 75 Kwh of energy in the form of electricity in 10 minuets, is a steep hill to climb.
That is like 480 volts at 937 amps, A single flaw could cause a deadly arc flash.
This would not be like a gasoline fire, the damage would be done in less than a millisecond.

That's the point I'm making. Current USA code for mitigating arc flash dangers is a maximum of 125 KVA. Your numbers put it at 449.76 KVA. Over three times the legal limit, without wearing more serious protective attire.

It's more like a stick or two of dynamite, as the damage continues for a few seconds.

Look up how many joules of energy a stick of dynamite has some time. It's roughly a megajoule.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom