• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Family dogs maul to death toddler and baby brother in Tennessee, sheriff says

That seems to be the implication @noonereal was making. But I will leave it for him to clarify

Personally, I would never own a dog whose jaw strength I could not overpower if it were to attack my child. Certainly not two of them.
Why have those in your home with small children?

Now, we might... repeat might, have something to talk about.

Pit Bulls can be dangerous, now we get to talk about why these two went on a rampage.
He manages a HD dealershiip in Memphis.

The breed is bred as a fighting dog. They are dangerous and every year we see man of these deaths. No reason in the world to own those dogs, and they should be banned.
They are banned in many places, but I wouldn't oppose some kind of national ban, if that's possible.

According to news accounts they were pit bulls. Here's a picture of the family, pre-dog-mauling. He's got a Harley-Davidson shirt on. Maybe he's a member of some biker gang.....

169017c5-42da-4250-b472-1e7e454e9e03-Family_photo.png

Doesn’t look like any biker I’ve ever seen. You can get those tee shirts in the Harley store.

They may have been really sweet with the kids. Right up until the second they killed them.
Like chimps. Or even lions. People have weird ideas about wild animals, and pit bulls have a lot of wild in them.

Remember the guy who thought he had a special connection with grizzly bears, right up until one of them ate him and his girlfriend?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

How about we wait until we find out what set the dogs off?

I am sure the kids messed with them. My son does that with our dog all the time and we have to stop him, because she will mouth him and push him back (stopping short of biting him). But I think that as a rule you should not have dogs you cannot overpower or whose jaws you cannot wrest around your children. And there are precious few people strong enough to wrest a pit bull’s jaws from anything that they have latched onto.

Yes, but the breed certainly matters.

A person of average strength can dislodge the jaws of a Queensland Heeler, or a Labrador Retriever off their child. Not so a Pit Bull.
But that's got nothing to do with the dog's behavior. The owner does.

Often but not always. Think about some of the problem children your friends or relatives have. Sometimes you can't train bad behavior out of dogs or people.

Two young children died and their mother was hospitalized after they were attacked by the family dogs in Tennessee, the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office says.

Detectives responded to a home near Shelby Forest State Park, just north of Memphis, on Wednesday afternoon, the sheriff’s office said via Twitter.

A two-year-old girl and a 5-month-old boy were dead at the home. Their mother was also attacked by the dogs, authorities said.
====================================================
One reason I don't have any dogs. You hear about these kind of attacks fairly often.
The two pit bulls responsible were euthanized Thursday by Memphis Animal Services, the sheriff’s office tweeted.

We had Goldens... they tried to lick us to death a few times. Nasty breed.

It does have something to do with the dog's behaviour. Some dogs you can't get to bite you if you tried. Some won't eat the duck and carry it to you no matter what... and some are easy to become aggressive and/or attack people. They are a breed bred to be aggressive and fight. That means that they can be set off far easier than other breeds that are bred to sit in your lap or round up sheep.

How about we wait until we find out what set the dogs off?
Nothing should set off a dog to attack and kill a 5 month old... at least not a dog already predisposed to aggression and violence.

Back
Top Bottom