• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Family dogs maul to death toddler and baby brother in Tennessee, sheriff says

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Two young children died and their mother was hospitalized after they were attacked by the family dogs in Tennessee, the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office says.

Detectives responded to a home near Shelby Forest State Park, just north of Memphis, on Wednesday afternoon, the sheriff’s office said via Twitter.

A two-year-old girl and a 5-month-old boy were dead at the home. Their mother was also attacked by the dogs, authorities said.
====================================================
One reason I don't have any dogs. You hear about these kind of attacks fairly often.

One reason I don't have any dogs. You hear about these kind of attacks fairly often.
I'm pretty sure they're extremely rare, though... if we looked at the numbers.

I don't think children should be left alone with dogs, even playing outdoors. Same with horses, goats, pigs or any animal large enough to hurt them.

I've known some extremely sweet pit bulls, but I'd never have one in my home, especially if I had children.
I wouldn't either, no need to.
I also have a large Rottweiler right now, and I love Rott and train them, but I wouldn't have him unattended around children either. There are definite differences in temperament that makes some breeds extremely unlikely to attack like this, and some aggressive breeds are almost always the culprit.

I wouldn't either, no need to.
I also have a large Rottweiler right now, and I love Rott and train them, but I wouldn't have him unattended around children either. There are definite differences in temperament that makes some breeds extremely unlikely to attack like this, and some aggressive breeds are almost always the culprit.
Yeah, I once accidentally wound up with a rescue who clearly had pit blood. She was interesting to watch. A sweet dog, but she just couldn't figure out how to play well with other dogs.... a temper she couldn't completely control.

She reminded me of a red-headed kid I knew in elementary school. Any little excitement and he'd over-react.

Two young children died and their mother was hospitalized after they were attacked by the family dogs in Tennessee, the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office says.

Detectives responded to a home near Shelby Forest State Park, just north of Memphis, on Wednesday afternoon, the sheriff’s office said via Twitter.

A two-year-old girl and a 5-month-old boy were dead at the home. Their mother was also attacked by the dogs, authorities said.

Mom needs to be jailed.

Terrible generalization. Care to wait for more to come out on what happened, what types of dogs they are, what the conditions were at that home, etc. or is that just too complicated for you?

Terrible generalization. Care to wait for more to come out on what happened, what types of dogs they are, what the conditions were at that home, etc. or is that just too complicated for you?
According to news accounts they were pit bulls. Here's a picture of the family, pre-dog-mauling. He's got a Harley-Davidson shirt on. Maybe he's a member of some biker gang.....

169017c5-42da-4250-b472-1e7e454e9e03-Family_photo.png

According to news accounts they were pit bulls. Here's a picture of the family, pre-dog-mauling. He's got a Harley-Davidson shirt on. Maybe he's a member of some biker gang.....

169017c5-42da-4250-b472-1e7e454e9e03-Family_photo.png

Now, we might... repeat might, have something to talk about.

Pit Bulls can be dangerous, now we get to talk about why these two went on a rampage.

Pit Bulls can be dangerous, now we get to talk about why these two went on a rampage.
I have no idea, but I know that kids sometimes will behave in the wrong way with dogs.

I've seen adults who probably shouldn't be around dogs. When people come to my place, I tell them to just ignore my dogs. I know the dogs won't bite anyone, but if you act strange around them, it adds a lot of tension.

By 'strange', I mean facing them, boldly or timidly, or reaching a foot toward them in a defensive way... stuff like that.

I've heard stories of kids toppling over on top of a dog, with really bad consequences. The dogs think they're being attacked.

I've also seen dogs attack their own wounded pack mates. Once the battle starts, or seems to start, anything can happen.

?? Really?

I hear about people being struck by lightning more often than this?

I can almost guarantee you that the attacking dog was not a Labrador Retriever. It was most likely a pit bull, before I even read the story.
It's about how they are raised and treated, not what breed they are.

Those poor children. Those poor parents. What an absolute nightmare.

It's about how they are raised and treated, not what breed they are.

Yes, but the breed certainly matters.

A person of average strength can dislodge the jaws of a Queensland Heeler, or a Labrador Retriever off their child. Not so a Pit Bull.

Is that, by itself, a crime?

That seems to be the implication @noonereal was making. But I will leave it for him to clarify

Personally, I would never own a dog whose jaw strength I could not overpower if it were to attack my child. Certainly not two of them.

Why? Both her kids are dead, and she's been hospitalized in critical condition for wounds sustained trying to defend them. She's been punished enough as it is. No need to kick her when she's already down.

Bullshit. Homicidal negligence is serious as a heart attack. Why on earth should she be excused?
We have laws. They are not to be used selectively.

I can almost guarantee you that the attacking dog was not a Labrador Retriever. It was most likely a pit bull, before I even read the story.
It was, 2 of them. The mother was admitted tot he hospital in critical condition but now is expected to survive. Both children were dead at the scene. Why do people own such animals? Why don't we have a law to stop this. There are 25,000 dog related deaths in the world each year.

I have no idea, but I know that kids sometimes will behave in the wrong way with dogs.

I've seen adults who probably shouldn't be around dogs. When people come to my place, I tell them to just ignore my dogs. I know the dogs won't bite anyone, but if you act strange around them, it adds a lot of tension.

By 'strange', I mean facing them, boldly or timidly, or reaching a foot toward them in a defensive way... stuff like that.

I've heard stories of kids toppling over on top of a dog, with really bad consequences. The dogs think they're being attacked.

I've also seen dogs attack their own wounded pack mates. Once the battle starts, or seems to start, anything can happen.
The breed is bred as a fighting dog. They are dangerous and every year we see man of these deaths. No reason in the world to own those dogs, and they should be banned.

Back
Top Bottom