• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fallout: New Vegas

You may want to look at getting a better thermal compound (like arctic silver) and applying that between the CPU and heat sink instead of the stock crap they use - it can potentially make a huge difference.

Part of the problem is that, the fan isn't set on the heat sink but is on the case by the heat sink, so it doesn't pull as much from the fins.

Damn, PC gaming seems like more hassle than it's worth.

It typically isn't worth it for most people. It look more satisfying (graphically), it can sound more satisfying (icky compression artifacts galore in console versions of the same games), but it takes a lot of effort and cash to get to that point.

Kaya told me I need to get the PS3 console vs. the PC, but if I did that I'd probably be divorced. My wife has to have her TV, and I sure don't want to play games on a 20 inch screen when I can play them on a 40 inch screen.

Regarding your CPU heat problems, I would recommend you buy the 120 mm fan and heat sink combo from Best Buy. I did, and the fan even cools my chipset. When I first built the PC, I was using the stock heat sink/fan from HP, and I was constantly hearing the overheat alarm for the chipset. I had to return another fan to Newegg because the fan got in the way of the capacitors located around the CPU socket. That's one of many problems when you try to marry up bits and pieces of PC parts when you're building your own. Even that shutoff problem was fun, trying to figure out what was causing it. I learned a lot about everything else and downloaded some neat heat monitoring software.

With the video card problem, I would recommend you getting the double fan set and it supplies new heat sinks for your caps as well. I would supply you with the link, but I guess I didn't save it to Favorites.

Last edited:
Kaya told me I need to get the PS3 console vs. the PC, but if I did that I'd probably be divorced. My wife has to have her TV, and I sure don't want to play games on a 20 inch screen when I can play them on a 40 inch screen.

Regarding your CPU heat problems, I would recommend you buy the 120 mm fan and heat sink combo from Best Buy. I did, and the fan even cools my chipset. When I first built the PC, I was using the stock heat sink/fan from HP, and I was constantly hearing the overheat alarm for the chipset. I had to return another fan to Newegg because the fan got in the way of the capacitors located around the CPU socket. That's one of many problems when you try to marry up bits and pieces of PC parts when you're building your own. Even that shutoff problem was fun, trying to figure out what was causing it. I learned a lot about everything else and downloaded some neat heat monitoring software.

With the video card problem, I would recommend you getting the double fan set and it supplies new heat sinks for your caps as well. I would supply you with the link, but I guess I didn't save it to Favorites.

I spent a good bit on this PC, so buying a console isn't in the cards for me right now.

It does need a better heat sink, I've just been a cheap skate on it.
I found a nice push/pull fan flow with heat sink, it's not to expensive and has very good ratings.

Damn, PC gaming seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Depends.

I like working on my car for fun, the same is true for my PC.
You can fine tune it to get better graphics and performance over a console.
Just have to spend a bit more money.

Part of the fun is just changing parts on it.

Part of the problem is that, the fan isn't set on the heat sink but is on the case by the heat sink, so it doesn't pull as much from the fins.

Sounds like you have a Dell. I have seen a lot of Dells with a similar cooling system. Check out Tiger Direct and Newegg for your heating problems. I also wouldn't discount Bestbuy, either. I bought my power supply, CPU fan/heatsink, and graphics card from them. I had fun talking to their Geek Team, but we ended up talking gaming rather than a fix for my shutoff problem. I didn't want them working on my gear. I preferred to solve my own problem, myself.

Sounds like you have a Dell. I have seen a lot of Dells with a similar cooling system. Check out Tiger Direct and Newegg for your heating problems. I also wouldn't discount Bestbuy, either. I bought my power supply, CPU fan/heatsink, and graphics card from them. I had fun talking to their Geek Team, but we ended up talking gaming rather than a fix for my shutoff problem. I didn't want them working on my gear. I preferred to solve my own problem, myself.

It's an HP. :(

If I had went with the AMD instead of the Intel, I would have gotten a much better price.

Depends.

I like working on my car for fun, the same is true for my PC.
You can fine tune it to get better graphics and performance over a console.
Just have to spend a bit more money.

Part of the fun is just changing parts on it.

I was going to recommend you overclock your cpu and video card, but that would add to your heat problem. Have you ever thought of the liquid cooling method? Those systems have gotten a lot cheaper. I would try that, but I just don't like liquid near my electronics, even if it is running through plastic tubing.

Sounds like you could stand to invest in a new case like the following from Tiger Direct. Talk about some big assed fans.

Cooler Master RC-942-KKN1 HAF X ATX Full Tower Computer Case - ATX, 230mm Red LED Fan, USB 2.0/3.0, 9x Expansion Slots. *Supports XL-ATX, 4-way SLI and Quad Crossfire X* at TigerDirect.com

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case at TigerDirect.com

I was going to recommend you overclock your cpu and video card, but that would add to your heat problem. Have you ever thought of the liquid cooling method? Those systems have gotten a lot cheaper. I would try that, but I just don't like liquid near my electronics, even if it is running through plastic tubing.

Sounds like you could stand to invest in a new case like the following from Tiger Direct. Talk about some big assed fans.

Cooler Master RC-942-KKN1 HAF X ATX Full Tower Computer Case - ATX, 230mm Red LED Fan, USB 2.0/3.0, 9x Expansion Slots. *Supports XL-ATX, 4-way SLI and Quad Crossfire X* at TigerDirect.com

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case at TigerDirect.com

Definitely have considered that.

This is what I have, there are generous vent ports but poor fan placing.
HP Pavilion Elite e9150t Desktop PC Product Specifications and Configurable Options HP Pavilion Elite e9150t CTO Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I like that case a lot, the Corsair liquid coolers are very nice.

Also like the Noctura air coolers.
They are supposed to be the best air coolers on the market.

Definitely have considered that.

This is what I have, there are generous vent ports but poor fan placing.
HP Pavilion Elite e9150t Desktop PC Product Specifications and Configurable Options HP Pavilion Elite e9150t CTO Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I like that case a lot, the Corsair liquid coolers are very nice.

Also like the Noctura air coolers.
They are supposed to be the best air coolers on the market.

You have an impressive looking machine, there, especially when they mention the I7 processor. I have the Intel Q9400 2.66 Ghz, but the I7 is more advanced than what I have, but I still can't complain since my system runs every game I play with no dropped frames.

Before I discovered what was shutting down my system, I experimented with underclocking my video card, which did help for awhile. I even temporarily substituted a lower powered video card, and my system never shut down. Of course, games looked like crap. Hence, all the time I thought it was the video card. Problem was the low-powered video card didn't draw as much current and therefore didn't stress the power supply as much, and I had a 700 watt power supply. The only problem was that it was billed as 700 watt, but that was only during peak demand. It's actual wattage was 550 watts, which couldn't take the current demands. It had neon lights which was fairly cool, since I have a see-though enclosed case. It was only when I noticed the neons go off during the shut down that I realized the power supply was the culprit. It was a great challenge and a learning process as well with lessons I won't forget. If you want to play those big games, you have to have a good power supply to run your PC. One of the Geeks on Call or whatever they call themselves at Best Buy told me he was running double video cards with an AMD Phenom system and a 1000 watt power supply. He said that when he cranked up his system, the lights dimmed in his apartment.

Last edited:
Back to gaming, this is a question for anyone who wants to take it. I am doing the Head of State quest where I have killed the slavers at the Lincoln Memorial, found the Lincoln Memorial picture. Then I return to the Temple of the Union to tell Hannibal Hamlin that it's safe to go to the memorial. We all leave together, but instead of going to the Memorial, they walk all around it. We encounter all kinds of beasties and people trying to kill us. It is my duty to keep Hannibal and his crew alive. We finally go to the Citadel, only to have Hannibal jump into the sewer near the Citadel, kill a few feral ghouls. He then constantly jumps back and forth between the sewer and the outside. Then I get a message that Hannibal has died and the quest has failed. I return to a previously saved game, only to have him thank me for watching over them. He then goes back and retraces his steps. I just give up at that point and pursue another quest. The game is a great game execept for this little screw up. Does anyone know how to get Hannibal to the Lincoln Memorial? Half the time he would get stuck on an obstruction, and I'd have to push him out of the way. The AI in this game is horrible.

Last edited:
I want to go ahead and redredge this old topic. By now, everyone should have gotten the game and played it through. I got it this Christmas. I finished it in 3 weeks, and am playing it through, again with different companiions. At first I had Boone, then Cass, Lily, and Rex, and finished up with Boone. For a brief time, I tried out Veronica. Now, on the second turn around, I am using Veronica and Rex, full time. I even used ED-E the eyebot, but Rex is always the better of the non-human companions. I never have used Arcane or Raul.

Any thoughts as to how everyone played the game, and who you allied with, whether House, Yes Man, or the NCR for the final battle? Incidentally, I refuse to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel, which doesn't leave me a lot of options as to who I get to side with.

Back
Top Bottom