• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fake priest unmasked after 18 years

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Miguel Angel Ibarra carried out weddings and baptisms, first in Colombia and then in southern Spain, despite having never been ordained. Link.

The church won't recognise the confessions he heard however weddings and baptisms will be - I'm not religious but the church could show itself in good light by accepting those confessions.

The church won't recognise the confessions he heard however weddings and baptisms will be - I'm not religious but the church could show itself in good light by accepting those confessions.

People will not come back for another wedding. People will come back for another confession. While I'm sure the delineation is in accordance with doctrine, it's also convenient.

I’m almost willing to say the church should ordain him for real. If he’s got away with it this long he’s probably not too bad at being a priest

I’m almost willing to say the church should ordain him for real. If he’s got away with it this long he’s probably not too bad at being a priest
:lamo

Yeah, and there's a shortage you know! ;)

I strongly suspect the delineation between the sacramental acts is doctrinal.

Firstly, the sacramental marriage is also a concurrent civil marriage. Secondly, baptism can be performed by the laity. I can baptize, and I assure you I wear no Roman Collar.

But only an ordained priest can perform absolution (via confession). In doctrinal terms, "one must confess to another". With the "other" being a priest. However interestingly enough, an individual can indeed perform their own "contrite" confession. But this last is to occur only under special circumstance. Think along the lines of, "the ship is sinking fast, and there's no priest around".

As an aside, Catholics are required to go to confession and receive communion at least once a year, AKA as "Easter Duty". The confession actually could be optional, if one believes they are without sin. Since us Catholics can be a pretty guilty feeling lot, we generally all just normally go as a regular course of events.

People will not come back for another wedding ~

Never thought of that bit - my dream once was waking up and discovering my nightmare marriage was ordained by a fake priest. Could have saved me SO much pain.

Never thought of that bit - my dream once was waking up and discovering my nightmare marriage was ordained by a fake priest. Could have saved me SO much pain.

Had a PI look into it?

:lamo

Yeah, and there's a shortage you know! ;)

I am not even laughing or joking. I say flat out, if he kept celebate and has no abuse allegations they should fast track him through seminary.

*disclosure* I am a Catholic who converted as an adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom