• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Fair Trial

Kreton

Doesn't know
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Across the street from the family across the stree
Political Leaning
Independent
Based on what I had seen leading up to this trial I thought that Zimmerman had acted in self defense. I also think that this trial stemmed because of the publicity and public anger. I think it is being used to appease the general public. These types of cases, specifically self defense, are not just about the defendant, they are about the deceased. Zimmerman deserves his day in court, but so too does Martin. Martin is as much of trial here as Zimmerman because this is a case of who's fault was it. So far in this trial it does not feel like Martin is being very well represented. The prosecution to me seems to be almost purposefully blowing it so that afterward they can hope that their effort will be enough to quiet people down. If I were Martin's family, and I genuinely believed my son was a victim, I would be furious with the prosecution up to this point.

Based on what I had seen leading up to this trial I thought that Zimmerman had acted in self defense. I also think that this trial stemmed because of the publicity and public anger. I think it is being used to appease the general public. These types of cases, specifically self defense, are not just about the defendant, they are about the deceased. Zimmerman deserves his day in court, but so too does Martin. Martin is as much of trial here as Zimmerman because this is a case of who's fault was it. So far in this trial it does not feel like Martin is being very well represented. The prosecution to me seems to be almost purposefully blowing it so that afterward they can hope that their effort will be enough to quiet people down. If I were Martin's family, and I genuinely believed my son was a victim, I would be furious with the prosecution up to this point.

Being a victim, and being wronged against are two totally different things. This trial shouldn't even be happening.

Being a victim, and being wronged against are two totally different things. This trial shouldn't even be happening.

I dont disagree with you that it should not be happening, however it is. And since it is the prosecution has a certain obligation to Martin and his family.

I dont disagree with you that it should not be happening, however it is. And since it is the prosecution has a certain obligation to Martin and his family.

Perhaps they are doing so poorly because they don't have a case.

This isn't a football match and the prosecution does not have some duty or moral obligation to win. They present the evidence they have and let the jury decide. Presenting evidence that is unfavorable to their case is a strategy to avoid gotcha "if it doesn't fit, you have to acquit" moments. The facts are what they are. Obviously the Martin family is going to be upset if Zimmerman wins no matter how perfect the efforts of the prosecution appear to the world.

If you look at the history of this case and incident, the drive and impetus for making this sole isolated case an issue vanished the minute they found out Zimmerman was not white but was in fact Hispanic. Even the crowd of race baiting clowns vanished IMMEDIATELY after Zimmermans race was announced. No one wanted to touch this after that. Unfortunately, the race baiters (including the assclown in chief)already got everyone nice and frothy and ready for a lynching. If the police hadnt arrested him, all the attention would have been on the police. If the prosecutor doesnt prosecute, its all on him. If they dont get a conviction it will all be on the jury. There are no grown-ups involved in this process.

This isn't a football match and the prosecution does not have some duty or moral obligation to win. They present the evidence they have and let the jury decide. Presenting evidence that is unfavorable to their case is a strategy to avoid gotcha "if it doesn't fit, you have to acquit" moments. The facts are what they are. Obviously the Martin family is going to be upset if Zimmerman wins no matter how perfect the efforts of the prosecution appear to the world.
Come on man, every prosecutor in the country views these things as wins and losses. Its how they make their career.

Come on man, every prosecutor in the country views these things as wins and losses. Its how they make their career.

A lot do but not every one. In my experience there is a generational divide. The younger ones are often like that because they want to make a name for themselves and the older ones just want to go home and have a life.

I agree that it is not entirely a football match, however, the prosecution decided to press charges. That is essentially them telling Martin's family that they feel their son was unjustly killed and that they can prove it. After filing those charges the state has an obligation to prove, or attempt to prove those charges. This is one of the few cases I have seen where the majority of the prosecutors witnesses completely undermined the prosecutions case and support the defense.

I agree that it is not entirely a football match, however, the prosecution decided to press charges. That is essentially them telling Martin's family that they feel their son was unjustly killed and that they can prove it. After filing those charges the state has an obligation to prove, or attempt to prove those charges. This is one of the few cases I have seen where the majority of the prosecutors witnesses completely undermined the prosecutions case and support the defense.

No, the prosecution initially didn't press any charges and the police more or less closed the investigation and then the Martin family got Al Shaprton and the MSNBC audience all worked into a frenzy about their son being a victim because he was black and the higher up the food chains basically came in and forced the charges to be filed for PR reasons.

No, the prosecution initially didn't press any charges and the police more or less closed the investigation and then the Martin family got Al Shaprton and the MSNBC audience all worked into a frenzy about their son being a victim because he was black and the higher up the food chains basically came in and forced the charges to be filed for PR reasons.

That is obviously true.

Also Rachel Jeantel, Dee Dee, Trayvon's friend, who over-heard threatening comments from George Zimmerman, at the start of the altercation, came forward, in the weeks folowing Trayvon's death. Zimmerman has never expressed regret about using deadly force. Perhaps Zim needed to use deadly force, because Trayvon was trying to grab Zim's gun. But Zim has never said that he considered shooting Trayvon in the shoulder, instead of in the heart. A disabling gunshot wound was a possiblity.

There was testimony from a medical examiner, and others, today, that Zim's injuries were not life-threatening. Zim's claim of self-defense might seem more beleivable, if Zim explained that he consdered aiming for a non-lethal injury.

Zim also has not explained that he consdered trying to get away from Trayvon, although maybe not required by Florida Law, retreat and saying he was sorry for following trayvon, and promising not to follow Trayvon any more, might have defused the altercation.

//

Last edited:

You don't understand how trial works..

The state has called all the witnesses because they get to question them.. and the defense on cross cannot open new ground.

Also Rachel Jeantel, Dee Dee, Trayvon's friend, who over-heard threatening comments from George Zimmerman, at the start of the altercation, came forward, in the weeks folowing Trayvon's death. Zimmerman has never expressed regret about using deadly force. Perhaps Zim needed to use deadly force, because Trayvon was trying to grab Zim's gun. But Zim has never said that he considered shooting Trayvon in the shoulder, instead of in the heart. A disabling gunshot wound was a possiblity.

There was testimony from a medical examiner, and others, today, that Zim's injuries were not life-threatening. Zim's claim of self-defense might seem more beleivable, if Zim explained that he consdered aiming for a non-lethal injury.

Zim also has not explained that he consdered trying to get away from Trayvon, although maybe not required by Florida Law, retreat and saying he was sorry for following trayvon, and promising not to follow Trayvon any more, might have defused the altercation.

//

There was no reason for gunfire at all.. If .. as George claims.. he came upon Trayvon suddenly he could have identified himself as NW and asked a friendly question.

George looked pretty gross and unkempt... I think he was oblivious as to how suspicious he own behavior was that night.

Yeah I am not that interested in the outcome of the case. i think it is a lose-lose any way you slice it. I defer to the judgment of the jurors who have to suffer through this trial.

Back
Top Bottom