• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Factory Farming.

Ending factory farming would actually increase our food supply; pound for pound, an acre of land can produce much more grain and plant-based food than animal-based food.

Pound for pound, plant-based foods don't provide nearly the same value in terms of protein or iron. In general, Americans eat far too much meat, but that doesn't mean that meat is not a vital portion of our diet.

Why is it so unthinkable to just quit eating meat?
We're dying of an excess of protein here.
We live in a society that suffers from an obscene overabundance of food.

These animals you're eating are killing you. They are poisoning you to death.
It's not their fault, they don't want to do it.
But such misery, agony, and torture cannot possibly produce anything wholesome or nourishing.

I'm 6'1"ish and 150lbs, my body can't afford to eat less meat and lose more weight.

I'm 6'1"ish and 150lbs, my body can't afford to eat less meat and lose more weight.

Excuses.
You can "afford" to. You just don't choose to.
If you're suggesting you can't get enough calories without eating meat, that's preposterous (and I suspect that is what you're suggesting, on the basis of the fact that you're listing your height and relatively low body weight).
Meat has exactly as many calories as carbs: 4 calories per gram.
I hope you're not suggesting carbohydrates are unavailable, or difficult to come by.

If, on the other hand, your post is meant to imply that you need to eat meat in order to maintain a certain desired level of muscle mass, that makes slightly more sense... but in fact you can get sufficient protein from eating combinations of whole grains and legumes, and from soy, and from a variety of other plant-based sources. And you can get plenty of iron from same.

I'm not trying to jump up your ass, I'm just saying: don't bull**** me or yourself.
You will continue to eat meat because you like to eat meat. Period.
I'm merely pointing out that it's bad for you as an individual, for humanity as a whole, for the environment, and certainly for animals who are being systematically tortured en masse for your culinary delectation.

I'm just trying to make people think a little bit about what they're doing.

Excuses.
If you're suggesting you can't get enough calories without eating meat, that's preposterous (and I suspect that is what you're suggesting, on the basis of the fact that you're listing your height and relatively low body weight).
I hope you're not suggesting carbohydrates are unavailable, or difficult to come by.

If, on the other hand, your post is meant to imply that you need to eat meat in order to maintain a certain desired level of muscle mass, that makes slightly more sense... but in fact you can get sufficient protein from eating combinations of whole grains and legumes, and from soy, and from a variety of other plant-based sources. And you can get plenty of iron from same.

I'm not trying to jump up your ass, I'm just saying: don't bull**** me or yourself.
You will continue to eat meat because you like to eat meat. Period.
I'm merely pointing out that it's bad for you as an individual, for humanity as a whole, for the environment, and certainly for animals who are being systematically tortured en masse for your culinary delectation.

I'm just trying to make people think a little bit about what they're doing.

I do like the taste, I've tried the veggie based meal planning.
It doesn't work well for me.

I not a fan of beef though, most others are ok with me.
For what it's worth, if I can afford the organic free range stuff I buy it.

Meat is good for you in moderation. It's the lack of moderation that's killing us.

Excuses.

Protein is a more gradual source of energy than carbs. Carbs are burned a lot faster than protein. Proteins have to be broken down and converted in the liver before they can be used as energy.

If I eat only carbs I am constantly starving, whereas if I eat protein I don't have food cravings as easily, and as I said before, meat is higher density protein. I am also tall and slim like Harry and if I don't eat meat I develop a calorie deficit.

Protein is a more gradual source of energy than carbs. Carbs are burned a lot faster than protein. Proteins have to be broken down and converted in the liver before they can be used as energy.

If I eat only carbs I am constantly starving, whereas if I eat protein I don't have food cravings as easily, and as I said before, meat is higher density protein. I am also tall and slim like Harry and if I don't eat meat I develop a calorie deficit.

I can put weight on but I have to be mostly sedentary 7 days a week.
If not, I will burn it off fast.

i do think its horrible how animals are factory farmed, i agree that i needs to end, but i can't afford to eat free range products, nor can i afford all the vitamin supplements and extra food i would need to buy if i were to give up meat, and i like meat much more than soy proteins, and plus i'm sure rotting vegetable matter is much better for you than rotting meat :roll:
oh noes, colon cancer, believe me, i'm much more likely to die from a heart attack, complication from diabetes, stroke, and thats just hereditary, and if detected early, colon cancer has one of the highest survival rates of all cancers, so i'm more worried about skin cancer, living where i do.

and given a chance, a pig would love to eat me, being scavenging omnivores.

Rotting vegetable matter actually is better for you than rotting meat. Humans have very long intestines, and the healthiest foods for us are those that move through them quickly, fruit and vegetables for example.

And the illnesses you list are not just hereditary. Diet is key to avoiding them.

No, there is definitely an ideal amount of meat consumption. Just like Vitamin A.

The amount can be none, and a person can be and stay perfectly healthy - even healthier than the average meat eater.

We talked about this on another thread. The amount of meat recommended or required is arbitrary, since one doesn't actually need any at all.

You should read this too, while you're at it:

Cancer and the Vegetarian Diet

Cancer is not caused by bacteria, faulty diet, inadequate exercise, environmental contaminants, ionizing radiation, tobacco, viruses, nor heredity. Cancer is caused by a series of genetic mutations in DNA which may be either germline (inherited) or somatic (acquired during life)
Epidemiologically, the intake of animal source food correlates with the country-by-country incidence of six types of cancer. Although none of the reporting countries can be assumed to have large vegan or even vegetarian populations, it appears that the less animal source food per capita, the lower the cancer rate.

Correlation not causation. This article did not discuss any of the confounding variables to any degree. In fact seeing that the source is "Veg Source" it would not be too crazy to suspect that the ethos was created before the research was done; that the author set out to explain why eating a high animal diet is connected to cancer.

Did you know that GES (Grown Environment Scores) show correlation to FIFA ranking!?

For the analysis, Goldman Sachs looked at growth environment scores (GES), which took into account political, economic and social factors like the rule of law, corruption, the number of computers and mobile phones in a country, and debt. They found a correlation between improvements in GES scores over the past four years and a rise in FIFA rankings. Algeria holds the record for GES improvement over the past four years, and their FIFA rankings have increased considerably.

Source

Holy Toledo! Maybe we should produce more mobile phones to win the next FIFA tourney.

Back
Top Bottom