• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fact check: What's a 'national emergency,' and can Trump declare one to get his wall?

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...ional-emergency-can-trump-declare-one-n954966

Legal experts said it wouldn't be as simple as Trump seemed to suggest on Friday — but maybe not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Two weeks into a partial government shutdown triggered by an impasse over the money President Donald Trump demanded for his promised border wall, Trump said he could declare a state of emergency and build his wall without congressional approval.

"I can do it if I want," he told reporters at the White House on Friday. "We can call a national emergency because of the security of our country. We can do it. I haven't done it, I may do it."
===================================================
Any action of this type would probably lead to legal challenges. For example, SCOTUS stopped Truman from nationalizing the steel industry during the Korean War. But would the current conservative court have the balls to block Trump? And Congress has to earmark the required funds, which will be impossible with a Dem-controlled House.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...ional-emergency-can-trump-declare-one-n954966

Legal experts said it wouldn't be as simple as Trump seemed to suggest on Friday — but maybe not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Two weeks into a partial government shutdown triggered by an impasse over the money President Donald Trump demanded for his promised border wall, Trump said he could declare a state of emergency and build his wall without congressional approval.

"I can do it if I want," he told reporters at the White House on Friday. "We can call a national emergency because of the security of our country. We can do it. I haven't done it, I may do it."
Any action of this type would probably lead to legal challenges. For example, SCOTUS stopped Truman from nationalizing the steel industry during the Korean War. But would the current conservative court have the balls to block Trump? And Congress has to earmark the required funds, which will be impossible with a Dem-controlled House.

Truman tried the same tactic to seize control of the steel industry and was rejected by SCOTUS.

I have no idea how this could even work, but hey it would end the government shutdown at least right?

God I hope he just does it without finishing consulting the legal folks, I mean he is the king right?

I'ts pretty clear he thinks so, or at least that he thinks he should be.

He's like "Bozo Lannister" evil, but without the brains or competence.

God I hope he just does it without finishing consulting the legal folks, I mean he is the king right?

I'ts pretty clear he thinks so, or at least that he thinks he should be.

He's like "Bozo Lannister" evil, but without the brains or competence.

He should have a new family motto:

"A Trump always weasels and litigates away his debts!":2rofll:

Sure... let him go for it. I'm interested in seeing what Defense programs he takes the funding from to pay for it. I imagine all of those Republicans on the Senate Armed Services committee who authorized those funds will be interested as well.

================================================== =

Surely we can all agree that getting the Monument to Trump built is the most pressing need in the United States of America?

Last edited:
"Can he" or "can he lawfully"?

As long as the right people with guns obey his demands, he "can" force any of those demands. And what worries me quite a bit lately is that right-wing politics is in general in such a state these days that they wouldn't care how unlawful it was. They'd be getting what they wanted and maybe they can tell themselves it upset a liberal, so it's a win-win for them.

Remember: those who bray loudest about being the biggest patriot or loving the constitution or any such thing are doing it defensively.

Sure... let him go for it. I'm interested in seeing what Defense programs he takes the funding from to pay for it. I imagine all of those Republicans on the Senate Armed Services committee who authorized those funds will be interested as well.

EXACTLY, the one and only reason he won't. I mean obviously he has something on Lindsey Graham, but he ain't the only one that would have to pass muster with.

EXACTLY, the one and only reason he won't. I mean obviously he has something on Lindsey Graham, but he ain't the only one that would have to pass muster with.

Graham isn't on Armed Services anymore - he's the new Judiciary Chairman... but he's always struck me as a follower - he goes into someone's orbit and then just pretty much follows their lead - it used to be McCain and now it's Trump. I don't think it really matters how much he has to contradict himself to make these leaps.

I pretty much agree with you - this whole "pay for the Wall out of Defense spending" thing is a bluff.... not only would it cause division among Republican Hawks, but it'd also be pretty hard to restore the funds too... it's tough to argue that taking $5 billion out of Defense without having any adverse affect on national security isn't evidence of wasteful spending.

Back
Top Bottom