• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fact Check: Trump's State Of The Union Address

Media_Truth

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
NPR fact-checks Trump's State of the Union Address.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/690345256/fact-check-trumps-state-of-the-union-address

There is a lot of analysis. NPR's first comment is more of an observation.

Remarkably, President Trump did not acknowledge the new power dynamic in Washington. The last four presidents have all lost the House during their presidency. The immediate three before Trump — Bill Clinton in 1995, George W. Bush in 2007 and Barack Obama in 2011 — all hit gracious notes at the beginning of their speeches, congratulating the opposition party for its electoral success. Trump did not.

And it goes on from there. Overall, I thought they were pretty accomodating to Trump. The most prominent deception that was uncovered was arguably Trump's comment - "And then we had the case of the governor of Virginia, where he stated he would execute a baby after birth."

NPR's reply, which I thought was their most blatant fact check --- "Last week, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam sparked controversy commenting on a failed bill in his state that would have removed a requirement that three doctors certify that a woman in her third trimester needs an abortion to protect her life or health.

He was asked what would happen if a woman wanted an abortion near the end of her pregnancy.

“When we talk about third-trimester abortions, these are done with the consent of obviously the mother, with the consent of the physicians, more than one physician, by the way. It’s done in cases where there may be severe deformities, there may be a fetus that’s nonviable. So in this particular example, if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that's what the mother and the family desired. And then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

That led Trump and Republican lawmakers to accuse Northam of supporting infanticide.

In fact, only about 1 percent of abortions take place after 21 weeks of gestation, which is still the second trimester. Third-trimester abortions are exceedingly rare and usually happen only when the fetus is not viable."

I simply cannot believe this lying piece of gutter trash is president.

He's simply an inveterate liar. Everything he says is false. It'a amazing.

I hate him and anyone who supports him. You are all diseased animals.

I found it "interesting" to say the least that Trump labeled migrants travelling through Mexico as "illegal immigrants." Putting aside whether that is the appropriate term to be used, how exactly are people who have not entered into the U.S. or Mexico illegally "illegal immigrants?"

As NPR pointed out "While Trump is correct about the size of the group of migrants, he is incorrect in calling them “illegal immigrants.” Most of the migrants have obtained what is known as a “humanitarian visa” from the Mexican government. They are traveling with legal permission in Mexico."

Not to mention the usual characterization of immigrants as criminals, despite data that regardless of legal status immigrants commit lower rates of crime than native-born Americans.

Other than abortion and immigration, Trump seemed to talk more about contributions of Americans in the past (WWII, etc.). I guess he couldn't do anything else considering how little he has actually accomplished.

CNN's Reality Check Team vets Trump's State of the Union

One glaring dissemblance in Trump's remarks:

"The border city of El Paso, Texas, used to have extremely high rates of violent crime -- one of the highest in the country, and [was] considered one of our nation’s most dangerous cities. Now, with a powerful barrier in place, El Paso is one of our safest cities."​

False and dissemblingly, palteringly so!

• Between 1993 and 2006, the number of violent crimes fell by more than 34% and fewer than 2,700 violent crimes were reported.
  • Bush authorized the border fence there in 2006, but construction commenced in 2008.
  • From 2006 to 2011 — two years before the fence was built to two years after — the violent crime rate in El Paso increased by 17%.

Attachments

• El Paso Crime.jpg
    El Paso Crime.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 171
Off-Topic:

That led Trump and Republican lawmakers to accuse Northam of supporting infanticide.

...[/I]

Sorry of the off-topic remark, but do you find it bizarre that Trump has had nothing to say about the central element of Northam's debacle, the matter of an image of people appearing in blackface and KKK robe on Northam's yearbook page? Given all the recriminations and declarations that Trump is himself a racist, how it is that the man didn't jump at the opportunity to at least denounce blackface and the KKK, even if he had nothing specifically to say about Northam and whether Northam should resign? Of all the overtly racist imagery and groups that a POTUS can easily and unequivocally denounce, deride and distance himself from, blackface and the KKK are top on the list.​

Off-Topic:

Sorry of the off-topic remark, but do you find it bizarre that Trump has had nothing to say about the central element of Northam's debacle, the matter of an image of people appearing in blackface and KKK robe on Northam's yearbook page? Given all the recriminations and declarations that Trump is himself a racist, how it is that the man didn't jump at the opportunity to at least denounce blackface and the KKK, even if he had nothing specifically to say about Northam and whether Northam should resign? Of all the overtly racist imagery and groups that a POTUS can easily and unequivocally denounce, deride and distance himself from, blackface and the KKK are top on the list.​

With all of the people going to dog pile on it in the first place. He may not have seen any real reason to do so, or, given the time when the photo was taken. He most likely thinks that the picture was still just a product of the times. Seeing as even I don't think that Notham meant any actual harm from doing as such back then. Such costumes were common and used more to make fun of common/distant issues, though arguably more tongue in cheek than what we see them as today.

Off-Topic:

Not at all. It was the SOTU, not a press conference. I guess he could have used it to point out how one side can be as racist as the other. :shrug:

Not at all. It was the SOTU, not a press conference. I guess he could have used it to point out how one side can be as racist as the other. :shrug:
Red:
Oh, my bad. I didn't mean as part of his SOTU address. I meant in general, at all over the past several days. AFAIK, Trump hasn't uttered a peep about the Northam matter.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/690345256/fact-check-trumps-state-of-the-union-address

Remarkably, President Trump did not acknowledge the new power dynamic in Washington. The last four presidents have all lost the House during their presidency. The immediate three before Trump — Bill Clinton in 1995, George W. Bush in 2007 and Barack Obama in 2011 — all hit gracious notes at the beginning of their speeches, congratulating the opposition party for its electoral success. Trump did not.

And it goes on from there. Overall, I thought they were pretty accomodating to Trump. The most prominent deception that was uncovered was arguably Trump's comment - "And then we had the case of the governor of Virginia, where he stated he would execute a baby after birth."

NPR's reply, which I thought was their most blatant fact check --- "Last week, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam sparked controversy commenting on a failed bill in his state that would have removed a requirement that three doctors certify that a woman in her third trimester needs an abortion to protect her life or health.

He was asked what would happen if a woman wanted an abortion near the end of her pregnancy.

“When we talk about third-trimester abortions, these are done with the consent of obviously the mother, with the consent of the physicians, more than one physician, by the way. It’s done in cases where there may be severe deformities, there may be a fetus that’s nonviable. So in this particular example, if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that's what the mother and the family desired. And then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

In fact, only about 1 percent of abortions take place after 21 weeks of gestation, which is still the second trimester. Third-trimester abortions are exceedingly rare and usually happen only when the fetus is not viable."

'fact checking' that starts with complaining that the President didn't "congratulating the opposition party for its electoral success", isn't my idea of fact checking. Already starting as a hit piece, didn't finish reading it.

I think the biggest lie was Trump's assertion that investigations [into his actions] threaten to derail the economy. Really? Where was that concern during both Clinton investigations? Bill Clinton had a far better economy -- all while being investigated by a hostile special prosecutor. Hillary Clinton, being investigated endlessly by the House over Benghazi, threatened to derail the economic recover -- who knew?

Moreover, everyone saw that portion for what is was, self-serving nonsense.

I simply cannot believe this lying piece of gutter trash is president.

He's simply an inveterate liar. Everything he says is false. It'a amazing.

I hate him and anyone who supports him. You are all diseased animals.

Wow, another angry, hate filled liberal. How long can it be until the democrat party is labeled a hate group. Because it is. Even you haters admit it.

I think the biggest lie was Trump's assertion that investigations [into his actions] threaten to derail the economy. Really? Where was that concern during both Clinton investigations? Bill Clinton had a far better economy -- all while being investigated by a hostile special prosecutor. Hillary Clinton, being investigated endlessly by the House over Benghazi, threatened to derail the economic recover -- who knew?

Moreover, everyone saw that portion for what is was, self-serving nonsense.

The bolded is not true.

I just assume almost everything that Donald Trump says is a lie. It's easier that way.

I just assume almost everything that Donald Trump says is a lie. It's easier that way.

Ninety minutes of self-serving lip service tugging at heart strings using the misfortune of others Trump couldn't care less about.

The bolded is not true.
In reply to post number 12, yes, it is true. Clinton had an average GDP growth rate of 3.8%; 22 million jobs were created and had four years of budget surpluses. That’s all better performance than Reagan and Trump’s performance isn’t even close.

However, my original post was calling out Trump for his absurd assertion that investigating him would torpedo the economy, as if his personal problems are linked to the economy. It was a transparent, bald, self serving lie.

He said, “If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation. It just doesn’t work that way!”

Actually, it’s always worked that way.

Last edited:

Those (bolded above) words allowed for quite a bit of wiggle room which is why the bill (essentially just removing the existing requirements that the life or health of the "mother" must be in jeopardy according to multiple doctors) failed to pass. The bottom line was that some wanted to relax the requirements allowing for a single doctor to agree to the wishes of the "mother" to terminate a pregnancy at any point (even after delivery?) with no need to show that a danger to the life or health of the "mother" exists.

Ninety minutes of self-serving lip service tugging at heart strings using the misfortune of others Trump couldn't care less about.

If you listen to Hannity and Rush long enough you realize that they are not a lot different than ministers, pastors and preachers. They use many of the same techniques and preach about evil. They are also massive liars.

So, they prepared the country for only Republican rule and everything else is evil. That's what allows the public to vote in a corrupt adulterer who can't get a loan from a US bank.

If you listen to Hannity and Rush long enough you realize that they are not a lot different than ministers, pastors and preachers. They use many of the same techniques and preach about evil. They are also massive liars.

So, they prepared the country for only Republican rule and everything else is evil. That's what allows the public to vote in a corrupt adulterer who can't get a loan from a US bank.

Rush's brain was bad enough before he totally killed all functioning brain cells with extremely excessive, long term, oxycontin abuse. The fact his followers know this to be truth and don't even care speaks volumes about his base, and why they summarily dismiss all of Trump's many,many short comings which clearly make him totally unqualified to be the POTUS.

Rush's brain was bad enough before he totally killed all functioning brain cells with extremely excessive, long term, oxycontin abuse. The fact his followers know this to be truth and don't even care speaks volumes about his base, and why they summarily dismiss all of Trump's many,many short comings which clearly make him totally unqualified to be the POTUS.

I will never underestimate Rush and Hannity. They may be liars but they've mastered their craft of manipulation. They kind of remind me of David Koresh.

I will never underestimate Rush and Hannity. They may be maybe liars but they've mastered their craft of manipulation. They kind of remind me of David Koresh.

I will never underestimate the idiots that actually buy into their B.S.

Off-Topic:

The Northam racist issue only concerns the Dems. They are the ones who want to get rid of one of their own.

Anyway, it's not about race. It's all about Northam putting his fellow Dems in a really crappy position concerning abortion.

The Northam racist issue only concerns the Dems. They are the ones who want to get rid of one of their own.

Anyway, it's not about race. It's all about Northam putting his fellow Dems in a really crappy position concerning abortion.

That's too funny. Rush and Hannity and Fox have been harping on this issue. But trump is at least smart enough not to talk about the KKK harshly on a national stage. I give him credit for that.

That's too funny. Rush and Hannity and Fox have been harping on this issue. But trump is at least smart enough not to talk about the KKK harshly on a national stage. I give him credit for that.

I'll just refer you to Mediaite dot com. They are a pro left, anti Trump news aggregate site. Look at all their anti Northam coverage. It all comes from Dems.

Back
Top Bottom