• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fact check: Breaking down Capitol accusations made against and made by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Anthony60

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Washington (CNN)Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York has been mocked and criticized by some Republicans and conservatives over a vivid story she told on Instagram Live on Monday about her experiences and emotions during the Capitol insurrection on January 6.
We fact-checked three of her critics' attacks. One was false, one was missing essential context and one was misleading.
We also fact-checked two of the claims Ocasio-Cortez herself has made about the Capitol insurrection. One was unproven and one was false.

Fact Check is made by CNN.

Oh, look, a breaking news story in the MSM about AOC's video.

Do you even read the pages you link to? Why would you willingly own yourself? Do you just read the headline and move on feeling proud of yourself?

Per your link—
“ Trump supporters were responsible for the Capitol insurrection, so Ocasio-Cortez has an obvious basis for assuming that Trump supporters were also responsible for the bombs. But it is indeed an assumption at this point. (Ocasio-Cortez's staff did not respond to our request for comment for this article.)”
——
This is your gotcha?

This BS and then some semantics argument about what AOC accused Ted Cruz of doing?

Can you at least try harder in your quest to argue in bad faith?

No Democrat can hold a candle to the utter insanity of Marjorie Taylor Greene. No matter how hard you try.

"Marjorie Taylor Greene had just finished questioning whether a plane really flew into the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, and flatly stating that President Barack Obama was secretly Muslim when she paused to offer an aside implicating another former president in a crime.
“That’s another one of those Clinton murders,” Greene said, referring to John F. Kennedy Jr.’s death in a 1999 plane crash, suggesting that he had been assassinated because he was a potential rival to Hillary Clinton for a New York Senate seat.

I like cake

what kind of cake?

A December NPR/Ipsos poll found that 17% of adults believe that "a group of Satan-worshipping elites who run a child sex ring are trying to control our politics and media" while 37% said they didn't know whether the baseless allegation was true or not.

Fact check: it isn't.

Washington (CNN)Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York has been mocked and criticized by some Republicans and conservatives over a vivid story she told on Instagram Live on Monday about her experiences and emotions during the Capitol insurrection on January 6.
We fact-checked three of her critics' attacks. One was false, one was missing essential context and one was misleading.
We also fact-checked two of the claims Ocasio-Cortez herself has made about the Capitol insurrection. One was unproven and one was false.

Fact Check is made by CNN.

CNN can fact-check this:

EtW8DG7WgAM37sp

Typical. Stop those mean people from telling lies about her...make FB and Twitter BAN them.

Do you even read the pages you link to? Why would you willingly own yourself? Do you just read the headline and move on feeling proud of yourself?

Per your link—
“ Trump supporters were responsible for the Capitol insurrection, so Ocasio-Cortez has an obvious basis for assuming that Trump supporters were also responsible for the bombs. But it is indeed an assumption at this point. (Ocasio-Cortez's staff did not respond to our request for comment for this article.)”
——
This is your gotcha?

This BS and then some semantics argument about what AOC accused Ted Cruz of doing?

Can you at least try harder in your quest to argue in bad faith?
You find that quote everywhere. Joseph Goebbels is smiling in his grave.

AOC wasn't even in the Capitol building. And she ran next door to find her colleague drinking coffee. This is Hillary getting shot at on the tarmac in Bosnia.

AOC wasn't even in the Capitol building. And she ran next door to find her colleague drinking coffee.
Was that before or after Trump's 'fine people' murdered a cop and four others died?

AOC wasn't even in the Capitol building. And she ran next door to find her colleague drinking coffee.

Ah, so we have now reached the “There was no insurrection” stage of conservative arguing.

GOP args are totally binding tighter with reality each passing day.

Ah, so we have now reached the “There was no insurrection” stage of conservative arguing.

we haven't reached anything, always asserted there was no insurrection, it was a riot. people directly responsible that engaged in it should go to jail. end of story.

AOC is heavily sensationalizing what she went through... now maybe she feels that scared, but what actually happened she was fine and Ted Cruz did not try to murder her., so...

Childish leaps of illogic invalidate your post.

AOC’s “Big Lie.”

1612528094094.png

What Happened at the Capitol.’

In a stream watched by hundreds of thousands of people, the Congresswoman from New York linked a historical experience with sexual assault to what happened at the Capitol on January 6th.

While no one doubted her sexual assault story, nor would wish that experience on anyone, the link to January 6th made many scratch their heads.

She described – in drastic contrast to how others in her own office building reacted – a scene in which she hid in her office toilet, peering through a door as a man in a black beanie looked for her calling out, “Where is she?”

“I just thought to myself, ‘They got inside,'” she said, adding: “I thought I was going to die… This is the moment where I thought, ‘Everything is over.”

The melodrama continued: “I have never been quieter in my entire life. When he came in, it didn’t feel right because he was looking at me with a tremendous amount of anger and hostility — and things weren’t adding up. There was no partner there and no one was yelling, he wasn’t yelling like, ‘this is Capitol police, this is Capitol police.’”

But AOC’s report is challenged by a wealth of evidence against her.

we haven't reached anything, always asserted there was no insurrection, it was a riot. people directly responsible that engaged in it should go to jail. end of story.

AOC is heavily sensationalizing what she went through... now maybe she feels that scared, but what actually happened she was fine and Ted Cruz did not try to murder her., so...

So you intended to define it down from the jump and all your arguments about it flow from that need.

Yeah; don’t care what you think anyone experienced.

There is nothing wrong with fact-checking per se. It's something we do every day without even being aware that we're doing it. Is it raining out? We go to a window to check.

Where things get sticky, though, is when we make un-nuanced judgments based upon fact checks. Some of us are only too willing to attach the label 'Liar!' to one who has failed a fact check for something said or written. Ignored is that we are all members of good ol' h sapiens. We all manage to say or pen a real knee-slapper now and then. What is important is the quantity and quality [Ed.: or lack thereof,] of failed fact checks.

Our society and we ourselves are far too complex for Aristotelian logic -- right/wrong -- to lead automatically to valid conclusions.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the prophylactic Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Reminder. I try to respond to all who quote my posts. If you do not get a response from me, it may be that you've made it onto my 'Ignore' list.

Insurrections are planned. AOC might have been scared, but is trying to get victim favor by posting videos.

If someone was spreading lies about you wouldn't you want them stopped?
You know what I would like to know?

1. Congress...that would be both the House and the Senate...were supposed to be in a combined session whereby Pence would open and read the sealed certifications from the various states. Pence was there, all of the Senators were there and all of the Representatives were there.

2. Then, the rioters break into the Capitol and Pence, the Senators and the Representatives had to be evacuated. (Some say, minutes before the rioters got to the Chamber where the certification action was taking place. Pence might have been hanged, they say.)

So...where were they evacuated to? Were they evacuated to their office buildings? It appears they were. How long were they in their offices? How long was AOC in her office before the Capitol Police came to check on her (When she hid in her bathroom, saw her life flash before her eyes and likely pissed her pants.) What made her think there were rioters at her office building? (There were none.)

Oh...and forget her blather about the explosives at the DNC and RNC buildings. Nobody knew about them at the time...and neither did she.

Back
Top Bottom