• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I was going to apply for a job with an agency. One of the questions was if I was on Facebook. I answered 'no' because I don't believe it's their business to know such things.

Then they'll take your name and check anyway, and not hire you because you lied to them. :roll:

I was going to apply for a job with an agency. One of the questions was if I was on Facebook. I answered 'no' because I don't believe it's their business to know such things.

I am on Facebook but listed as Tyronne Shoelaces. There is no reason to ever use your actual identity on any social website.

They're going to look up your name anyway. Almost every employer will. I would have just told them and made my profile private.

They're going to look up your name anyway. Almost every employer will. I would have just told them and made my profile private.

Since I use a moniker how will they ever know? And why would a prospective employer need/want to know if an applicant is on Facebook? That's big brotherism.

Since I use a moniker how will they ever know? And why would a prospective employer need/want to know if an applicant is on Facebook? That's big brotherism.
Well, if you have a moniker, there's less chance that they'll find out. But if you ever make friends with fellow employees, I suggest you don't let them know about your Facebook.

Because what someone says on Facebook would likely be much more illuminating that what that person says in a job interview?

Have you seen the number of idiots who've embarrassed not only themselves but the people and companies they work for with their stupidity on social networks? Do you think they want to hire you and then three weeks later fire you because you have a pic on your Facebook page of yourself in a Nazi uniform or some other nonsense?

DailyTech - People Lacking Facebook Accounts Viewed As Suspicious

A recent Forbes article pointed out that while most non-Facebook users stay away for reasons like internet addiction, privacy issues or just because they couldn't care less what people are eating every second of the day, others who are on the social network could view this absence as suspicious.

For instance, employers are looking to social networks more and more as a way of learning about current and potential employees. When a worker doesn't have a Facebook, some employers may think that this is a red flag, meaning the person could have deactivated it because they had something to hide.

Have you seen the number of idiots who've embarrassed not only themselves but the people and companies they work for with their stupidity on social networks? Do you think they want to hire you and then three weeks later fire you because you have a pic on your Facebook page of yourself in a Nazi uniform or some other nonsense?

Facebook: helping idiots out of good paying jobs so other people can have a shot since 2005.

Some people, though, make not very well thought out pronouncements on Facebook because they honestly believe that what they are saying is "cool" .....................Which tells you alot about what alot people think is "cool"..................

Then they'll take your name and check anyway, and not hire you because you lied to them. :roll:

Thankfully I've never joined Facebook, and never intend to. During my period as an adjudicator in a state employment agency, I dealt with a number of discharges caused by employer unhappiness over posts on an employee's facebook page. A few were simply used as proof the person was surfing the internet during work hours, and that's a valid reason for discharge.

Most were because the employee said something negative about a boss, co-worker, or the company. Often the company had no access to the page, but a co-worker "freind," had copied and emailed it to the boss.

Most people don't realize the vast majority of jobs are "at will" employment. The only good news is that you may still qualify for unemployment benefits...if that's any comfort.

I'm sure that somewhere out there is a relevant psychological study that explains it, but people often behave as if their updates and wall are private when all evidence points to the opposite. It's baffling to me.

Last edited:

That would be the correct answer. It is none of their ****ing business. And even more so, your credit is none of your employer's business IMO. They want to force our checkbooks and lives open wide like a book for them to read. There's no more "personal" in our lives with these ****s ripping it wide open like they do.

it won't be long before face-book finds a way to force everybody to register on their site ...with their real identity.
You either do it or your life will be very difficult.

When I see where corporations like FB is going ....I laugh when I see people screaming that Obama is taking away their privacy!

I mostly treat my profile in a non-offensive way. If it is good enough for grandma, it is good enough for them. But I still have it locked down anyway.

A subpoena of my FB would reveal mostly that I play words against the most frustrating two or three letter word at a time playing people and birthday wishes. That is mostly it except for the secret group stuff that doesn't show in the profile.

Thankfully I've never joined Facebook, and never intend to. During my period as an adjudicator in a state employment agency, I dealt with a number of discharges caused by employer unhappiness over posts on an employee's facebook page. A few were simply used as proof the person was surfing the internet during work hours, and that's a valid reason for discharge.

Most were because the employee said something negative about a boss, co-worker, or the company. Often the company had no access to the page, but a co-worker "freind," had copied and emailed it to the boss.

Most people don't realize the vast majority of jobs are "at will" employment. The only good news is that you may still qualify for unemployment benefits...if that's any comfort.

Yeah, don't start ranting about work. It's probably also a good idea to not have your name, your face, and the company name listed as you comment on a newspaper story.

My stepdaughter kept posting on FB about how she was partying, smoking, drinking, yet she couldn't imagine why none of the larger companies would hire her. Big, household name companies. She started crying to me one day about how no one would hire her, and I told her that I'd bet her $50 that her potential employers were checking out her FB profile. She hid the profile, erased all the BS and got a job with a major bank within a week and has been with them for 2 years now.

I am on Facebook but listed as Tyronne Shoelaces. There is no reason to ever use your actual identity on any social website.

So you can spy on people who use their real names and do not know who you are? Is that why?

I have two face books one for crazy and the odd and one which is for formal interaction and for family . Its much simpler to have two especially when you can get a bit nuts . ( on one im a 1000 year old cult leader who's best friend is a tribal girl who migrated to Mexico who I helped across the border Tenia still accepts peso's )

If the email you used to register for Facebook is the one on your resume they will find your account.

My stepdaughter kept posting on FB about how she was partying, smoking, drinking, yet she couldn't imagine why none of the larger companies would hire her. Big, household name companies. She started crying to me one day about how no one would hire her, and I told her that I'd bet her $50 that her potential employers were checking out her FB profile. She hid the profile, erased all the BS and got a job with a major bank within a week and has been with them for 2 years now.

did you get the 50$

So you can spy on people who use their real names and do not know who you are? Is that why?

No it is to prevent "strangers" from becoming my friends or learning anything about my actual identity. Placing personal data on the internet is not very wise as many "bad" folks can use it to their advantage. I see morons that post pictures of their children including their names - a "creepy guy" will then know not only what your kid looks like and where they live but even their name(s) and much other "friendly" information about them to "prove" to that child that they are not a "stranger".

Back
Top Bottom