• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook

It amazes me what people will post on Facebook. Absolutely amazes me. People don't really think anymore.

Even smart people do stupid things. And you are right. It boggles the mind.

Poor employee rights? What 'rights' have they not been granted?

not so much a case of not granted, but poor compared to the rest of the industrialised world, if not the whole world.

At will employment is pretty rare in other countries. Bosses usually need a valid reason to fire you.

America is one of the only countries in the world which doesn't have a legal minimum of paid leave. Lots of US workers don't get any paid leave, and even the ones that do get, what, 10 days? That's below the legal minimum of lots of countries.

Maternity leave for women is the worst for women employees out of all the industrialised nations.

etc, etc.

All my personal details on facebook are fake. I always suspected the NSA was watching us so when I got confirmation I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that I've managed to preserve online anonymity.

As for employers, same thing really. Facebook is a gold mine that they're all too willing to exploit. That, combined with credit checks and drug tests, means employers can gather more of your personal info than some private investigators.

not so much a case of not granted, but poor compared to the rest of the industrialised world, if not the whole world.

At will employment is pretty rare in other countries. Bosses usually need a valid reason to fire you.
and if the y do fire an employee without a provable valid reason, they pay unemployment. It's not like there isn't some penalty for doing so.

America is one of the only countries in the world which doesn't have a legal minimum of paid leave. Lots of US workers don't get any paid leave, and even the ones that do get, what, 10 days? That's below the legal minimum of lots of countries.
That is not a right, it's a privilege that's earned for duration of service. And is quite often used as a negotiating point with the employer.

Maternity leave for women is the worst for women employees out of all the industrialised nations.
Again, quite often a negotiating point, or additional benefit for long term employees. Federal regulations include FMLA, but State has a 'temporary disability program', plus many employers offer partial pay during the maternity leave for those who will return to employment after the 90 period.

etc, etc.
Just because you view these things as 'rights' doesn't mean they are.

The employee is actually quite protected under the many laws of the DOL, both Federal and State. Perhaps it's believing that certain things are a 'right' rather than an earned privilege that has undermined the work ethic 'round the industrialized world, eh?

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..... :thumbs:

And yet our unemployment is roughly half of what the EU's is ...

But, hey, at least your employer won't check your Facebook status. That's something.

It's not a paycheck but it's something.

Canada has more rights and unions but we have an even lower unemployment.

Curious. I'm one of those oddballs who not only doesn't use Facebook but I don't even use a cell phone for phone calls. So my knowledge of facebook is pretty meager. Wouldn't it be a simple thing for a person with something to hide to kill the account and open a new one?

You can actually scrub your existing one of stupid crap. Sure, everything is kept permanently in Facebook's own servers, but regular users can't see what you "delete." When I first joined Facebook only some family and a few close friends were Facebook friends. As additional people joined my friend list and my page made the inevitable evolution into a professional networking tool, I scrubbed all the silly updates, pictures and whatnot, and now nobody can see those things. Now my Facebook page is perfectly stale, family-friendly and thoroughly unenjoyable as every professional networking tool should be.

etc, etc.

and if the y do fire an employee without a provable valid reason, they pay unemployment. It's not like there isn't some penalty for doing so.

That doesn't help the worker who's just been fired for no reason does it?

That is not a right, it's a privilege that's earned for duration of service. And is quite often used as a negotiating point with the employer.
Actually, it is a right in almost every country in the world. We still get more with duration of service, but there is a legal minimum to start with (20 days in the UK). The US on the other hand has no legal minimum, and 23% of US workers get no paid vacation leave at all

Again, quite often a negotiating point, or additional benefit for long term employees. Federal regulations include FMLA, but State has a 'temporary disability program', plus many employers offer partial pay during the maternity leave for those who will return to employment after the 90 period.

Just because you view these things as 'rights' doesn't mean they are.

US has some maternity laws, but they are quite poor compared to the rest of the industrialised world. And yes, they are legal rights in most countries.

The employee is actually quite protected under the many laws of the DOL, both Federal and State. Perhaps it's believing that certain things are a 'right' rather than an earned privilege that has undermined the work ethic 'round the industrialized world, eh?

No, the US employee is not quite well protected compared to all other industrialised nations. These things may be an earned privilege in America, dependent on the goodwill of the employer, but not in other countries.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..... :thumbs:

The pursuit of happiness for whom? Certainly not the US worker; Maybe the bosses.

That doesn't help the worker who's just been fired for no reason does it?
Yes, it does. It provides them with an income as they seek a new position.

Actually, it is a right in almost every country in the world. We still get more with duration of service, but there is a legal minimum to start with (20 days in the UK). The US on the other hand has no legal minimum, and 23% of US workers get no paid vacation leave at all
And who are those workers? Part time? entry level? Throwing a number out there without sources is not quite the way to prove your position.

US has some maternity laws, but they are quite poor compared to the rest of the industrialised world. And yes, they are legal rights in most countries.
Again, you throw opinions out there without any back up. Just because you view something as a 'right', doesn't mean it is.

No, the US employee is not quite well protected compared to all other industrialised nations. These things may be an earned privilege in America, dependent on the goodwill of the employer, but not in other countries.
What is not covered by laws that protect the welfare of the worker? Vacation/holiday time is not part of the 'welfare' of the worker. Have you considered the wee thought, that the United States is not 'other countries'? If the conditions here are has horrid as you say, people would be fleeing elsewhere, rather than into the US?

The pursuit of happiness for whom? Certainly not the US worker; Maybe the bosses.
Again, you have an opinion, unsubstantiated. Where do you think most of those bosses got their start? as workers... so yes, the pursuit of happiness applies to ALL.....

ANYONE can put themselves forward, start a business, or work for a company and create the level of happiness that they seek for themselves. Here, it's just not handed to them with a guarantee, it requires someone actually doing something to help themselves to get there.

I teach a social media class in high schools and middle schools all over WA State. A class every high school and middle child as well as parent should be required to attend.

The horror stories I hear on a daily basis regarding social media are sickening. Kids are going to make mistakes. Unfortunately often times social media mistakes have consequences far outweighing the transgression imo. The loss of scholarships, jobs etc...

A few things to consider.

It is legal is 39 states for an employer to demand your log in before they will hire you. Amazing huh?

I have seen numerous studies that suggest at least 80% of employers and universities now use social media as a primary screening device.

I try to point out that if you have a well constructed FB, you actually have a major advantage. Look at it this way, two people are vying for the same job or same slot at a university. One has a FB that shows they are creative, well mannered, well spoken, etc, the other doesn't have one, or has one that is riddled with photos of drinking, pot smoking, and profanity, etc.

Who wins?

I ask the question to kids... "Would you consider opening a business without a website?"

Think of FB as your website. We then go on to show them how to build a powerful site.

The fact is FB is a tremendous asset, provided you manage it well.

It doesn't benefit society if everyone uses Facebook to promote a lowest common denominator socially acceptable false image of themselves. Its bad enough that marketing (professional deception) concepts have throughly infiltrated business and government, now our personal lives will become even more false. Instead we need to legislate a right to live our genuine lives outside of work. People should also stop being a bunch of self righteous hypocrites.

Back
Top Bottom