• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook

No it is to prevent "strangers" from becoming my friends or learning anything about my actual identity. Placing personal data on the internet is not very wise as many "bad" folks can use it to their advantage. I see morons that post pictures of their children including their names - a "creepy guy" will then know not only what your kid looks like and where they live but even their name(s) and much other "friendly" information about them to "prove" to that child that they are not a "stranger".

How is that different than a newspaper printing a high school sports pic with names combined with the phone book?

The age of the children is a BIG one. ;)

The newspapers run stories on elementary sports too.

Just pointing out the phone book has had your name address and number for decades. Nothing new.

The newspapers run stories on elementary sports too.

Good point, but that paper may not print that information without parental consent. Simply because some parents do not make wise decisions does not make it any safer.

Good point, but that paper may not print that information without parental consent. Simply because some parents do not make wise decisions does not make it any safer.

Yes the print names with out consent. You must not have played sports. My parents never were asked permission when my pic was in the paper when our football team made playoffs.

Most people don't realize the vast majority of jobs are "at will" employment. The only good news is that you may still qualify for unemployment benefits...if that's any comfort.

correction: The vast majority of American jobs are 'at will' employment. This is because American employees have very few rights compared to other industrial nations.

correction: The vast majority of American jobs are 'at will' employment. This is because American employees have very few rights compared to other industrial nations.

It's because the legislators are in the pockets of the major companies. We are a country that is very easily bought and sold. :(

Gee, was I in the "foreign" section of the Forum? I didn't realize. ........

Gee, was I in the "foreign" section of the Forum? I didn't realize. ........

The forum is called general politics, not American politics. And the point I was making is poor employee rights in the US.

The forum is called general politics, not American politics. And the point I was making is poor employee rights in the US.

Poor employee rights? What 'rights' have they not been granted?

Facebook sucks; but in either case, I don't believe than an employer should ask that- what's it to them. They can run a credit check and police background but to peer into your personal life is too much in my opinion.

I believe we need new laws protecting the right of nearly all employees to a personal life, especially a political/philosophical and sexual life, without employer interference. And the protected personal life shouldn't be limited to one's private activities. Everyone should have the right to express themselves publicly. Some exceptions can be made for political and religious organizations.

There is a business argument that individual employee's off-work behavior reflects on the companies values. With a law against employer control of employee's off-work behavior, businesses could no longer to be held responsible for the personal lives of their employees. They will be able to say "due to the law, this company has no knowledge or control of our employees personal lives. We can not be held reponsible for their behavior outside of their work hours." Everyone wins.

This is false and irrational reasoning and can make anyone wonder of the fabric of the employer in question. Where is it written that a nonsuspicious person has to have Facebook?

You're arguing with me?

it won't be long before face-book finds a way to force everybody to register on their site ...with their real identity.
You either do it or your life will be very difficult.

When I see where corporations like FB is going ....I laugh when I see people screaming that Obama is taking away their privacy!

I'm curious to know how it is possible for Facebook to force people to register. If Facebook does anything to make people uncomfortable, people will stop using it. Everything involving Facebook is a voluntary act with the individual using it and if people saw more negatives than positives they will stop using it.

And yet our unemployment is roughly half of what the EU's is ...

But, hey, at least your employer won't check your Facebook status. That's something.

It's not a paycheck but it's something.

Last edited:
I teach a social media class in high schools and middle schools all over WA State. A class every high school and middle child as well as parent should be required to attend.

The horror stories I hear on a daily basis regarding social media are sickening. Kids are going to make mistakes. Unfortunately often times social media mistakes have consequences far outweighing the transgression imo. The loss of scholarships, jobs etc...

A few things to consider.

It is legal is 39 states for an employer to demand your log in before they will hire you. Amazing huh?

I have seen numerous studies that suggest at least 80% of employers and universities now use social media as a primary screening device.

I try to point out that if you have a well constructed FB, you actually have a major advantage. Look at it this way, two people are vying for the same job or same slot at a university. One has a FB that shows they are creative, well mannered, well spoken, etc, the other doesn't have one, or has one that is riddled with photos of drinking, pot smoking, and profanity, etc.

Who wins?

I ask the question to kids... "Would you consider opening a business without a website?"

Think of FB as your website. We then go on to show them how to build a powerful site.

The fact is FB is a tremendous asset, provided you manage it well.

Last edited:
I am on Facebook but listed as Tyronne Shoelaces. There is no reason to ever use your actual identity on any social website.

Lol Great pseudonym, Basketball Jones. :)

Facebook sucks; but in either case, I don't believe than an employer should ask that- what's it to them. They can run a credit check and police background but to peer into your personal life is too much in my opinion.

The reality is that the business lobby loves FB. The cost of a bad hire is brutal. Social media provides them an amazing window into your world. They see you as you likely are every day. So whether you like the idea or not, it's very beneficial to businesses.

Legislation to make it illegal for employers and schools to demand your log in was defated last year in congress. 11 states have such legislation and many others are looking at it.

Anything you post on the Internet is no longer private information. Now if they demanded to see your diary you keep stashed under your bed then you could claim invasion of privacy.

The reality is that the business lobby loves FB. The cost of a bad hire is brutal. Social media provides them an amazing window into your world. They see you as you likely are every day. So whether you like the idea or not, it's very beneficial to businesses.

Legislation to make it illegal for employers and schools to demand your log in was defated last year in congress. 11 states have such legislation and many others are looking at it.

The only thing is that unless you are heavily active, it is not the best window into your life. People compartmentalize, and certain things happen on Facebook while other things do not. I would assume that those I know have more to them than kittens and recipes.

Anything you post on the Internet is no longer private information. Now if they demanded to see your diary you keep stashed under your bed then you could claim invasion of privacy.

You could claim anything you want.

At the end of the day, employment is voluntary. You don't have to give a potential employer anything you don't want to give them. It might keep you from getting a job but that's life. They have a right to their views too.

The only thing is that unless you are heavily active, it is not the best window into your life. People compartmentalize, and certain things happen on Facebook while other things do not. I would assume that those I know have more to them than kittens and recipes.

The salient point is as I mentioned is that FB can be a tremendous asett if it's managed. You are correct in that the averge person will not.

Last edited:
You could claim anything you want.

At the end of the day, employment is voluntary. You don't have to give a potential employer anything you don't want to give them. It might keep you from getting a job but that's life. They have a right to their views too.

Oh I agree with what you say. They shouldn't expect you to provide access to your FB page. My point is there is no expectation of privacy regarding anything one posts on the Internet. That's why I don't FB :)

Back
Top Bottom