• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook Suppresses Conservative Views[W:133]

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Well now. This seems like a crude imposition of bias. Do lots of people get their news from Facebook?

Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative NewsGizmodo‎ - 1 day ago

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from ... one of a very small handful of curators with such views on the trending team.

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from the social network’s influential “trending” news section, according to a former journalist who worked on the project. This individual says that workers prevented stories about the right-wing CPAC gathering, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, and other conservative topics from appearing in the highly-influential section, even though they were organically trending among the site’s users.

Several former Facebook “news curators,” as they were known internally, also told Gizmodo that they were instructed to artificially “inject” selected stories into the trending news module, even if they weren’t popular enough to warrant inclusion—or in some cases weren’t trending at all. The former curators, all of whom worked as contractors, also said they were directed not to include news about Facebook itself in the trending module. . . .

Assuming this is really happening (and I have my doubts,) last time I checked Facebook is not a government owned operation... you are free to no longer use Facebook if you disagree with this unwritten rule being reported by an anonymous ex-employee.

Well now. This seems like a crude imposition of bias. Do lots of people get their news from Facebook?

Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative NewsGizmodo‎ - 1 day ago

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from ... one of a very small handful of curators with such views on the trending team.

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from the social network’s influential “trending” news section, according to a former journalist who worked on the project. This individual says that workers prevented stories about the right-wing CPAC gathering, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, and other conservative topics from appearing in the highly-influential section, even though they were organically trending among the site’s users.

Several former Facebook “news curators,” as they were known internally, also told Gizmodo that they were instructed to artificially “inject” selected stories into the trending news module, even if they weren’t popular enough to warrant inclusion—or in some cases weren’t trending at all. The former curators, all of whom worked as contractors, also said they were directed not to include news about Facebook itself in the trending module. . . .

So? Last I recall, the conservative viewpoint is that businesses should be free to operate how they will.

Tsk tsk. You can do better than that.

As a conservative Jack, you should believe the company or anonymous sources??? Bring me more evidence than this and I'll consider the possibility that FB is doing this...

Facebook Rebuts Criticisms About a Bias Against Conservatives - WSJ

Facebook now directly denies report of biased trends, says there’s no evidence | TechCrunch

BTW. My friend posts Conservative news articles all the time. So much so that I've told him that he was posting them too much!!!!

As a conservative Jack, you should believe the company or anonymous sources??? Bring me more evidence than this and I'll consider the possibility that FB is doing this...

Facebook now directly denies report of biased trends, says there’s no evidence | TechCrunch

BTW. My friend posts Conservative news articles all the time. So much so that I've told him that he was posting them too much!!!!

I don't really consider myself a conservative, and I think Gizmodo has credibility.

I don't really consider myself a conservative, and I think Gizmodo has credibility.

Just because you believe the anonymous sources and not the company is not evidence. That is in fact bias against Facebook and possibly accusing it of attempt to commit conspiracy and fraud among the American people. Do you really believe that based on the word of someone who refuses to provide any evidence???

The article didn't say they kept people from posting their own articles. They were talking about what comes up in the feed.

The article didn't say they kept people from posting their own articles. They were talking about what comes up in the feed.

That was partly a joke but it relates to the point that the topic of these reports make no sense in that Facebook obviously does not suppress conservative news. Regardless of where it is on the site

First of all, it's no shock at all that Facebook has bias. They are blatantly leftists in their management. That aside, it's a private business so it's really up to them how they want to run things.

I will no go so far as to say that it doesn't represent a bigger concern as social media is really starting to come into it's own in being a driving force for social and political issues and Facebook holds the vast majority of the market on that. This means that their influence can be significant. Is there really anything that can be done about it? No, it's their right and as long as the electorate are lazy and uneducated it won't really matter as those people will be influences regardless.

That aside, I do hope that the internet will eventually be a positive influence in the long run, to include social media. We are in the baby phase of this whole thing right now but I see a growing population of people that aren't buying the party line from either party. Look at the growing number of independents. We just need to figure out how to get that large block of independents to effect real change and to break the two parties.

That was partly a joke but it relates to the point that the topic of these reports make no sense in that Facebook obviously does not suppress conservative news. Regardless of where it is on the site

How is it obvious? We already know that Facebook is suppressing the activities of it's users at the request of the German government. That's a fact. Why would you think that isn't possible and what do you have that says otherwise?

How is it obvious? We already know that Facebook is suppressing the activities of it's users at the request of the German government. That's a fact. Why would you think that isn't possible and what do you have that says otherwise?

Give evidence of this supposed suppression of conservative news and I'll consider it. I already said this. So until you do its all just paranoid speculation

Give evidence of this supposed suppression of conservative news and I'll consider it. I already said this. So until you do its all just paranoid speculation

Fair enough. I'm only saying that it wouldn't be surprising, judging by their lean and similar actions in other areas. Ultimately, it's their call. Whether you or I believe it or not doesn't matter.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, it's true. Then what?

Fair enough. I'm only saying that it wouldn't be surprising, judging by their lean and similar actions in other areas. Ultimately, it's their call. Whether you or I believe it or not doesn't matter.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, it's true. Then what?

Then don't use it but there are far more other concerns with Facebook and they usually fall upon the users and not the company itself

Then don't use it but there are far more other concerns with Facebook and they usually fall upon the users and not the company itself

Exactly, there isn't isn't a "then what", even if it's true. Is someone going to make a Conservobook or something? Lol.

Well, Facebook denial is not really unexpected regardless of the truth.

Just because you believe the anonymous sources and not the company is not evidence. That is in fact bias against Facebook and possibly accusing it of attempt to commit conspiracy and fraud among the American people. Do you really believe that based on the word of someone who refuses to provide any evidence???

I posted the article for discussion. Beyond that I don't claim anything. I believe the editorial team at Facebook is as capable of human foibles as any other.

So basically, you are for the free market, until you disagree with it....:lamo

Tsk tsk. You can do better than that.

Why? The fairness doctrine was killed by Reagan in 1987. Get over it.

Besides if a turd is on the side walk is somebody biased for walking around it in the street? Someday those that are screaming 'bias', might need to look at their content instead of blaming somebody for avoiding it.

Last edited:
Why? The fairness doctrine was killed by Reagan in 1987. Get over it.

Besides if a turd us on the side walk is somebody biased for walking around it in the street? Someday those that are screaming 'bias', might need to look at their content instead of blaming somebody for avoiding it.

LOL

History is replete with stories of regimes who suppressed and censored thought to push their agenda. History has not been kind to those who supported such efforts. I doubt those who are working so hard to repeat history will escape similar scrutiny.

Back
Top Bottom