• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook Suppresses Conservative Views[W:133]

LOL

History is replete with stories of regimes who suppressed and censored thought to push their agenda. History has not been kind to those who supported such efforts. I doubt those who are working so hard to repeat history will escape similar scrutiny.

Facebook is a regime now? I thought it was a private company. What exactly do you want. Should we reinstate the fairness doctrine?

Jack Hays;1065852320 Several former Facebook “news curators said:
And surprise surprise this has been found to be complete bunk. What is actually happening is that they are trying to insure relative accuracy to the new stories that make it into the feed by insuring stories reported on right wing extremist sites are at least corroborated in the more main stream news. As it turns out there's a lot of junk that is very clearly bunk coming out of many conservative news sources such as breitbart.com. Maybe if right wing news sources were a little more reliable with their information it wouldn't be necessary, but sadly if right wing news sources were more reliable, then they likely wouldn't be right wing news sources.

Facebook is a regime now? I thought it was a private company. What exactly do you want. Should we reinstate the fairness doctrine?

Well I don't think Facebook is a regime. I certainly think the ideological forces behind Facebook's possible censorship certainly is.

As to the Fairness Doctrine, no I certainly don' want that reinstated. The potential for extreme abuse under such regulatory control should be alarming to anyone. The left has pushed society out on enough slippery slopes as it is.

Well I don't think Facebook is a regime. I certainly think the ideological forces behind Facebook's possible censorship certainly is.

As to the Fairness Doctrine, no I certainly don' want that reinstated. The potential for extreme abuse under such regulatory control should be alarming to anyone. The left has pushed society out on enough slippery slopes as it is.

So well chalk this up to either a made up story or it doesn't matter anyway because Facebook is a private entity and has no obligation to provide "balanced" reporting?

Assuming this is really happening (and I have my doubts,) last time I checked Facebook is not a government owned operation... you are free to no longer use Facebook if you disagree with this unwritten rule being reported by an anonymous ex-employee.

The point is that we should be aware that what FB is telling us is trending may not really be trending. They have every right to filter, apply bias, push their POV all they want, but we should also be informed that this is what they are doing. Do you want to be deceived about this kind of thing or do you want the truth?? If getting to see world through liberal colored glasses is your thing, then by all means ignore the fact that FB is trying to push a false narrative...

The point is that we should be aware that what FB is telling us is trending may not really be trending. They have every right to filter, apply bias, push their POV all they want, but we should also be informed that this is what they are doing. Do you want to be deceived about this kind of thing or do you want the truth?? If getting to see world through liberal colored glasses is your thing, then by all means ignore the fact that FB is trying to push a false narrative...

In what ways is Facebook being deceitful by posting a list of links on there own site?

And what do you think should be done about it?

I agree - I think. I say I think because we don't expect the Wall Street Journal paste a bias disclaimer on their website. We implicitly assume a bias, or at least we should. Why would we expect something different from FB than the WSJ?

"Trending" has always been controlled, handled by algorithm, and subject whatever mechanisms that FB puts in place.

The real issue here is expectation of fairness, but applied from one's point of view. To someone conservative there will be opportunity to see some perceived suppression of posts that *should* be trending by those they are friends with or follow. The problem here is that perception should also concern liberals. Looking at this from the point of view of average users per day, Facebook is damn near monopolistic and well north of half of Americans have an account. The bigger problem is we have little evidence that it is really happening, outside of an anonymous source who cannot supply the algorithm (or even begin to) on how "conservative posts" were identified and then systematically suppressed.

So before we talk about false narratives, how about a little evidence that this is really happening?

I have no problem with forthright advocacy, but I have a problem with the fraud of advocacy pretending to be neutral.

Why do they have to be neutral? (assuming they aren't) Do you want big government to come in and regulate them? Sen Thune evidently does..because all of our other problems have been solved.

Is it or is it not conservative dogma that private companies should not be prevented from political activism?

I infer you refer to Citizens United. There is a world of difference between forthright political advocacy and advocacy disguised as neutrality.

Why? The fairness doctrine was killed by Reagan in 1987. Get over it.

Besides if a turd is on the side walk is somebody biased for walking around it in the street? Someday those that are screaming 'bias', might need to look at their content instead of blaming somebody for avoiding it.

I have no problem with advocacy. I have a problem with advocacy disguised as neutrality.

Why do they have to be neutral? (assuming they aren't) Do you want big government to come in and regulate them? Sen Thune evidently does..because all of our other problems have been solved.

They themselves claim neutrality.

Well now. This seems like a crude imposition of bias. Do lots of people get their news from Facebook?

Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative NewsGizmodo‎ - 1 day ago

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from ... one of a very small handful of curators with such views on the trending team.

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from the social network’s influential “trending” news section, according to a former journalist who worked on the project. This individual says that workers prevented stories about the right-wing CPAC gathering, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, and other conservative topics from appearing in the highly-influential section, even though they were organically trending among the site’s users.

Several former Facebook “news curators,” as they were known internally, also told Gizmodo that they were instructed to artificially “inject” selected stories into the trending news module, even if they weren’t popular enough to warrant inclusion—or in some cases weren’t trending at all. The former curators, all of whom worked as contractors, also said they were directed not to include news about Facebook itself in the trending module. . . .
Facebook is free to do whatever the **** it wishes, but if they are in fact suppressing conservative viewpoints then that's just stupid, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom