• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook integration discussion

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
We know this may be a passionate topic for some, but what are your thoughts of adding Facebook "like" buttons to threads and allowing logins/accounts using Facebook?

Thanks!

Due to lack of replies, is it safe to assume there are no concerns for adding a "like" button and integrating with Facebook?

Would it enhance your experience here?
Should we have done this ages ago? lol

Are there concerns about anonymity?

I don't have a issue with it as long as it is not necessary to log onto FB to be on DP.

:shrug:

What is this Facebook thing?

As long as it's as subtle as the other icons at the bottom, like "share on facebook", I'm cool with it.

I don't use facebook and would rather it not have any noticeable presence here.

Hsssssssssss....

Facebook intigration...evil bastards infiltrating everything......hssssssss

Don't mind me, I just dislike its persuasive influence into everything and anything on the net.

I wouldn't use it as it releases far too much personal information, no?

I don't have a issue with it as long as it is not necessary to log onto FB to be on DP.

:shrug:
No worries, we are not going there. Just a way to allow current Facebook users to create accounts using a FB button and users to share links with a simple "Like" button.

There are folks out there that know much more about FB and was hoping to tap into that experience to see if this is a direction we want to go.

Last edited:
Not an issue for me. But then again, I have a Facebook "Like" button in my browser already so I can "like" any page I'm on anywho. :) Ditto for StumbleUpon.

I don't see any reason why there'd be concerns about anonymity.

Everything that's on my facebook.

to whom? If you "Like" any random page on the internet, how is your facebook information "released" to anyone? The info is only going one way. Just as if I "share" the page using the facebook share icon currently at the bottom of each post. If I do that, the info from this page is shared to my facebook page, not the other way around.

to whom? If you "Like" any random page on the internet, how is your facebook information "released" to anyone? The info is only going one way. Just as if I "share" the page using the facebook share icon currently at the bottom of each post. If I do that, the info from this page is shared to my facebook page, not the other way around.

I don't know how it works, thus the "worry". I don't know if the information will only go one way. I'm not sure what all of it entails. If there's no risk of my DP name being associated with my real name and vice versa, I have no problems with it. If there is any chance of that occuring, I'd be opposed to it.

I don't know how it works, thus the "worry". I don't know if the information will only go one way. I'm not sure what all of it entails. If there's no risk of my DP name being associated with my real name and vice versa, I have no problems with it. If there is any chance of that occuring, I'd be opposed to it.

If there were any risk, it would be on you. For instance if you "Liked" this post of yours and it went to your wall. At that point, people would see the post and your DP name, but they would only know that name was YOURS if you told them or if they somehow associated it with you do to familiarity. But the posting of it on your wall would be up to you. Just like it is now with the "share" button. If you "like" or "Share" a post here, it gives no information other than the post you liked or shared. I could like and share every single post on this forum and no one on this forum would even know about it unless they were friends with me on facebook (and some are). None of their personal info is going to go anywhere because there is no connection between my FB page and them.

And, if you "like" or "share" any information on FB, it doesn't give the website you "liked" or "shared" any information about you. Kind of like when you send someone a link via email. The website you linked doesn't know anything about you specifically just because you linked to them.

It only goes one way.

(Discounting http referrers, but that doesn't give out personal info and is not specific to any particular page and is beside the point)

If there were any risk, it would be on you. For instance if you "Liked" this post of yours and it went to your wall. At that point, people would see the post and your DP name, but they would only know that name was YOURS if you told them or if they somehow associated it with you do to familiarity. But the posting of it on your wall would be up to you. Just like it is now with the "share" button. If you "like" or "Share" a post here, it gives no information other than the post you liked or shared. I could like and share every single post on this forum and no one on this forum would even know about it unless they were friends with me on facebook (and some are). None of their personal info is going to go anywhere because there is no connection between my FB page and them.

And, if you "like" or "share" any information on FB, it doesn't give the website you "liked" or "shared" any information about you. Kind of like when you send someone a link via email. The website you linked doesn't know anything about you specifically just because you linked to them.

It only goes one way.

(Discounting http referrers, but that doesn't give out personal info and is not specific to any particular page and is beside the point)

yes, but you have now linked it.... if I search "reverend_hellh0und" facebook and dp would begin to show up.

yes, but you have now linked it.... if I search "reverend_hellh0und" facebook and dp would begin to show up.

I can link it now. With or without the "like" icon and with or without the "share" button. Additionally, "Reverend Hellound" would only show up in a search on FB if that text was used in my "share" or "like" link itself. The content of the page linked isn't searched by FB, only the text actually posted ON FB.

Additionally, I can search Reverend Hellhound in Google now and come up with DP. So ....??

I can link it now. With or without the "like" icon and with or without the "share" button. Additionally, "Reverend Hellound" would only show up in a search on FB if that text was used in my "share" or "like" link itself. The content of the page linked isn't searched by FB, only the text actually posted ON FB.

Additionally, I can search Reverend Hellhound in Google now and come up with DP. So ....??

I don't go by Reverend hellhound in real life. Although that would be awesome.

It only goes one way.

If that's how it works, I'd have no problem with it. I wouldn't use it myself, but it wouldn't matter to me if others did.

I don't go by Reverend hellhound in real life. Although that would be awesome.

Well, that's why I'm saying any "security" issues would really be up to the individual. If you DO use your real name on here and I link a page to FB, then your real name is going to be accessible on FB tied to DP. But, I can do that with or without this "like" button vauge is talking about. And, whatever name you use is already tied to DP and searchable by google and all other search engines.

So yeah, i could post this post to my FB and "Reverend Hellhound" will show up in text on my wall and thus be searchable by FB and tied to DP. But how would that matter to you? That's not your real name and it's already searchable by google, so why the concern?

Due to lack of replies, is it safe to assume there are no concerns for adding a "like" button and integrating with Facebook?

Would it enhance your experience here?
Should we have done this ages ago? lol

Are there concerns about anonymity?

The times of your two posts seem odd. Anyway, I don't care if you have a spot on facebook. I'm not sure I'd use it.

Back
Top Bottom