• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Facebook Admits It Gave Netflix, Spotify Special Access to User Messages

dirtpoorchris

King of Videos
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/facebook-admits-gave-netflix-spotify-163447540.html

[h=1]Facebook admitted it gave major tech platforms like Spotify and Netflix access to millions of private user messages in a blogpost late on Tuesday, confirming key details from an illuminating report from The New York Times.[/h][FONT=&quot]The Times reported Tuesday evening that Facebook gave privileged access to user messages, allowing companies like Spotify and Netflix to read, write or delete conversations on the social network. Facebook, in its response, said it only allowed partner companies to view private messages once users had signed into Facebook using the partner’s app — granting them permission to their messages in the process.[/FONT]

Time to sanction Facebook heavily and subject it to FULL oversight. Notice how companies went from "Private Messages" to "Direct Messages" just to prep for these selling of private messages? Im sorry but signing into Spotify or any other site using ur 1 click facebook button shouldnt automatically give them full access to all your private messaging.... Its obvious they snuck it in.

That is actually a really, really bad offense ... allowing a third party to have access to what was termed "private" messages.

Nothing "private" when selling that info to third parties ... (spit).

I hope more MSM will report about that **** so the Zuckerberg can melt into toxic icing.

People being lazy and then upset their laziness may negatively impact them.

I've always assumed it was common knowledge that when you cross sign in there is an implied consent to share information

People being lazy and then upset their laziness may negatively impact them.

I've always assumed it was common knowledge that when you cross sign in there is an implied consent to share information

No way. The MOST PERTINENT information needs to be RIGHT up front not hidden in the back with assumption agreements.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/d-c-attorney-general-sues-facebook-over-cambridge-172424600--finance.html

Facebook sued by Washington, D.C., over data breach accusations

The attorney general for Washington, D.C., said on Wednesday the U.S. capital city had sued Facebook Inc for allegedly misleading users about how it safeguarded their personal data, in the latest fallout from the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

Facebook shares suffered their biggest drop since July 26, closing down more than 7 percent at $133.24 on Wednesday, extending a roughly five-month stretch since the company warned that profit margins would erode in coming years because of consumer and government pressure to better guard data and suppress objectionable content.

No way. The MOST PERTINENT information needs to be RIGHT up front not hidden in the back with assumption agreements.

But whenever you use an app like that through Facebook a window pops up asking if you give permission for access to that. It isn’t some long terms of service contract, it is short and sweet and easy to read. Unless this is talking about something different than I am familiar with.

But whenever you use an app like that through Facebook a window pops up asking if you give permission for access to that. It isn’t some long terms of service contract, it is short and sweet and easy to read. Unless this is talking about something different than I am familiar with.

Ya this has been giving companies free access to your PRIVATE MESSAGES for them to datamine.

Ya this has been giving companies free access to your PRIVATE MESSAGES for them to datamine.

Yeah, I wouldn’t let them do that but IF this window pops up when you go to use the app:

7CF38DE9-58BE-4454-801A-48B0C0DB1D47.jpg

With “access your private messages” as one of the requests, then I don’t see the issue. If it is hidden in a long TOS, however, then that is different. Facebook says the apps did make such a request of the user. I would love to see a screenshot of it. I couldn’t find one.

Considering that Facebook, and other social media 'platforms' are censoring the free speech that they don't like or from those that they don't like (so behaving more like a publisher than platform - and there are additional rules for publishers), and now multiple cases of selling / providing their users private data to others for their advantage (again depending on if those entities are ones they like), it's high time that Congress passes data privacy legislation on par with the ones that have been in place for a number of years in the EU. It's high time.

Back
Top Bottom