• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EZ Pass

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We live in Virginia and the missus’ family lives in Pennsylvania and Delaware. When we visit we use I 95 for a major part of the trip. A few years back, we took two vehicles up so I could get a bulk item tax free in DE. One vehicle is a pick-up. Anyway, on that trip, I zoned out and followed her thru an EZ Pass Only lane, I have no transponder. A few weeks later the bill arrived with a photo of the license plate and the amount was face value of the toll, no penalty. I thought that more than fair. In August 2020, the missus returned to the north for a visit. Due to Covid the tolls weren’t manned and she forgot to take her transponder. Today the bill arrived; four pages, including photos of the plate and the face value of the four tolls. This doesn’t seem like a good business model. Six months to collect the tolls and all the administrative cost seems a losing model, imo.

We live in Virginia and the missus’ family lives in Pennsylvania and Delaware. When we visit we use I 95 for a major part of the trip. A few years back, we took two vehicles up so I could get a bulk item tax free in DE. One vehicle is a pick-up. Anyway, on that trip, I zoned out and followed her thru an EZ Pass Only lane, I have no transponder. A few weeks later the bill arrived with a photo of the license plate and the amount was face value of the toll, no penalty. I thought that more than fair. In August 2020, the missus returned to the north for a visit. Due to Covid the tolls weren’t manned and she forgot to take her transponder. Today the bill arrived; four pages, including photos of the plate and the face value of the four tolls. This doesn’t seem like a good business model. Six months to collect the tolls and all the administrative cost seems a losing model, imo.
When I went to the Trump rally in Dubuque I flew into Chicago and rented a car at O’Hare. The tollbooths on the turnpike were unmanned and there was no transponder in the car, but there was a sign telling my to go online and pay. I had to create an Illinois account and pay the toll.

I think closing the toll booths was really dumb. If it’s safe for drive through workers to pass out cheese burgers I see no excuse for closing toll booths

you can go online and send your transponder number and all will be forgiven

EDIT: at least thats how it works in PA . . I've done it plenty

I have no experience with the no transponder experience, but it is still probably cheaper than paying all those toll collectors.

NY has taken all their toll booths out and have some type of electronic system that takes your license plate number and they send you a bill for you to pay.
EZ pass still works with this system some how
some how it is cheaper then paying toll collectors
Have a nice evening

When I went to the Trump rally in Dubuque I flew into Chicago and rented a car at O’Hare. The tollbooths on the turnpike were unmanned and there was no transponder in the car, but there was a sign telling my to go online and pay. I had to create an Illinois account and pay the toll.

I think closing the toll booths was really dumb. If it’s safe for drive through workers to pass out cheese burgers I see no excuse for closing toll booths
Automation is coming, toll booths will soon be empty all the time.

They are now in NY
in fact they are taking them down
Have a nice day
More precisely, those controlled by State (and perhaps local) governments, but not the Port Authority of NY/NJ tolls.

Is it true you can't be banned from driving in the whole US it's just done by state?
So if you're a really persistently terrible driver you can just keep driving like a maniac and just move 50 times?

They are now in NY
in fact they are taking them down
Have a nice day
NY has very strong unions, but they won't be able to hold them open. Too many other states and municipalities are showing the savings generated

I have an EZ pass, unfortunately it's useless in Florida.
I traveled on the Florida turnpike and several months later got a bill for two dollars and change. there must be a better way to collect the tolls.

The toll booths held up traffic especially I-90 heading east into Buffalo, exit 24 in Albany and even worse the closer you got to the city. This keeps the traffic moving.

Back
Top Bottom