• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Exporting pain: U.S.-made medical devices cause serious injuries, pain overseas

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From NBC News

Exporting pain: U.S.-made medical devices cause serious injuries, pain overseas

After years in the military and playing rugby, Wolfgang Neszpor was used to his battered body making noises, but he was stunned when he heard his recently repaired shoulder squeak.

"It was loud. You could really hear it outside my body," he said.

He went to his doctor, who, when examining him, lifted up his arm.

"I nearly went through the roof," Neszpor recalled. "I can take a fair bit of pain. But it was a stupid amount of pain."

Two months earlier, Neszpor, 36, had gotten a new shoulder joint made out of carbon fiber. It was a PyroTITAN, made by Integra LifeSciences, a New Jersey company that ranks among the biggest medical device companies in the world.

Neszpor lives in Australia, where his operation was performed in 2014. He believed the Made in the USA label meant his shoulder would be fixed with state-of-the-art technology.

What he did not know is that even though it was made in the USA, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration had ...

COMMENT:-

What those people don't realize is that the US FDA has absolutely no obligation to protect anyone but Americans (and that the American companies have absolutely no obligation to do anything other than comply with American law (and American law says that it's OK for them to sell stuff that they can't sell in the US as long as they sell it outside of the US) and make money for the owners of the companies (which they do by selling stuff that they aren't allowed to sell in the US outside of the US).

"Caveat emptor" applies.

If they didn't want to buy crap they should have found out if what they were buying was crap before they bought it. I mean the companies would have told them that the stuff was crap if only they had asked - wouldn't they?

Back
Top Bottom