• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Exodus International Shuts Down: Christian Ministry Apologizes To Gays

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
This is a positive development for modern Christianity. I'm particularly glad Exodus had the courage to apologize for its harsh judgmental language in the past. This is how Christians should act: to examine their own conduct and determine whether it is loving or is hurtful to others.

Exodus International Shuts Down: Christian Ministry Apologizes To LGBT Community And Halts Operations

Exodus International, a large Christian ministry that claimed to offer a "cure" for homosexuality, plans to shut down.

In a press release posted on the ministry's website Wednesday night, the board of directors announced the decision to close after nearly four decades.

“We’re not negating the ways God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people, but a new generation of Christians is looking for change -- and they want to be heard,” Exodus board member Tony Moore said.

The closure comes less than a day after Exodus released a statement apologizing to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community for years of undue judgment, by the organization and from the Christian Church as a whole..

There is no need for harsh judgement or language by any people towards any other people. That said though if someone wants to obtain "therapy" for whatever reason they want our free society should allow them to do so without disdain.

There is no need for harsh judgement or language by any people towards any other people. That said though if someone wants to obtain "therapy" for whatever reason they want our free society should allow them to do so without disdain.

I wouldn't disagree with that. The problem arises with gay children, and then it's a more difficult call, since homosexuality is no longer considered a mental disease by modern psychiatry. So the question then becomes can parents force their gay minor children to undergo therapy for a condition that isn't considered a disease by modern medicine? The answer isn't simple since there are conflicting interest between the rights of parents, the rights of children, and the standards of medical science.

I wouldn't disagree with that. The problem arises with gay children, and then it's a more difficult call, since homosexuality is no longer considered a mental disease by modern psychiatry. So the question then becomes can parents force their gay minor children to undergo therapy for a condition that isn't considered a disease by modern medicine? The answer isn't simple since there are conflicting interest between the rights of parents, the rights of children, and the standards of medical science.

I know that you know this, but the answer is simple really. When it comes right down to it, the parents needs are subordinate to that of the child (in this case). Since homosexuallty isn't a choice, then forcing a child to submit to "therapy" is in fact harmful. Modern medicine has as it's credo, "do no harm", so there doesn't seem to be much conflict here.

Having said that, parent's should not be allowed to "force" their children to undergo therapy.

I know that you know this, but the answer is simple really. When it comes right down to it, the parents needs are subordinate to that of the child (in this case). Since homosexuallty isn't a choice, then forcing a child to submit to "therapy" is in fact harmful. Modern medicine has as it's credo, "do no harm", so there doesn't seem to be much conflict here.

Having said that, parent's should not be allowed to "force" their children to undergo therapy.

I'm OK with that (I think California passed a law to that effect or tried to, recently). The problem then turns to what is therapy. Is taking a kid to church and having him undergo a homophobic screed prohibited. I wouldn't inflict that on my kids, but at that point it intersect with first amendment rights those unpleasant parents who would.

Maybe other religious organizations can follow this example and give up their notion that they can or should hurt people for their own good.

I'm OK with that (I think California passed a law to that effect or tried to, recently). The problem then turns to what is therapy. Is taking a kid to church and having him undergo a homophobic screed prohibited. I wouldn't inflict that on my kids, but at that point it intersect with first amendment rights those unpleasant parents who would.

What about refusing to allow a child to go to church if he/she wants to? Do parents have that right?

That said though if someone wants to obtain "therapy" for whatever reason they want our free society should allow them to do so without disdain.

Doctors shouldn't be allowed to falsely diagnose people as having a problem just to push drugs, and therapists shouldn't be allowed to diagnose people as having a problem just to push a religious agenda.

If someone feels like something is wrong with them, and they would like a therapist to help them change, there is nothing wrong with that.

There was a great case in Europe (I forget where exactly, though will look it up) where a chronic hypochondriac successfully sued a doctor for repeatedly giving the man medicines for illnesses he didn't have (but claimed to have and thought he had) instead of referring him to a shrink to address the real problem. The basis behind the case was that doctors have a duty to tell you not only when you are sick, but also when you aren't.

What about refusing to allow a child to go to church if he/she wants to? Do parents have that right?

Good question. I think parents do have the authority to stop them. A child would have to seek emancipation to be able to make decisions like that on his own.

Good question. I think parents do have the authority to stop them. A child would have to seek emancipation to be able to make decisions like that on his own.

None of this is easy. You were answering 'csbrown28' who said, "The answer is simple, really.", but it's not. Somewhere between home-schooling survivalist recluses and North Korean Marxist group kindergartens is a reasonable compromise but as soon as legislation sets in reason and compromise start to slide away.

Agreed, but exodus didn't get shut down by their adversaries, they closed their own doors. Obviously if there is "treatment" for homosexuality exodus didn't provide such a thing.

Back
Top Bottom