• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Exclusive: Russian Ex-Spy Pressured Manafort Over Debts to an Oligarch

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
From time magazine:

When the U.S. government put out its latest sanctions list on Dec. 19, the man named at the top did not seem especially important. Described in the document as a former Russian intelligence officer, he was accused of handling money and negotiations on behalf of a powerful Russian oligarch. The document did not mention that the man, Victor Boyarkin, had links to the 2016 campaign of President Donald Trump.

A months-long investigation by TIME, however, found that Boyarkin, a former arms dealer with a high forehead and a very low profile, was a key link between a senior member of the Trump campaign and a powerful ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

In his only interview with the media about those connections, Boyarkin told TIME this fall that he was in touch with Trump’s then-campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, in the heat of the presidential race on behalf of the Russian oligarch. “He owed us a lot of money,” Boyarkin says. “And he was offering ways to pay it back.”

The oligarch in question is Oleg Deripaska.

When he joined the campaign in the spring of 2016, Manafort was nearly broke. The veteran political consultant had racked up bills worth millions of dollars in luxury real estate, clothing, cars and antiques. According to allegations contained in court records filed in the U.S. and the Cayman Islands, he was also deeply in debt to Boyarkin’s boss, the Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska, who was demanding money from Manafort over a failed business deal in Ukraine and other ventures.

Boyarkin says it fell to him to collect the debt from Manafort. “I came down on him hard,” he says. But the American proved elusive. In a petition filed in the Cayman Islands in 2014, lawyers for Deripaska, a metals tycoon with close ties to the Kremlin, complain that Manafort and his then-partner had “simply disappeared” with around $19 million of the Russian’s money.

Boyarkin’s connections with manafort Run plenty deep.

Russian Ex-Spy Pressured Manafort Over Debts to an Oligarch | Time

Can't say I'm surprised. The more we understand the extent to which Russia had successfully infiltrated the GOP the more we almost have to wonder how the CIA could have dropped the ball so badly here. Historically speaking, this will go down as the single greatest FUBAR on their part, much worse than putting the Shah in power.

If Manafort was near broke in Spring 2016, how was he able to forfeit reportedly over $40 million in assets as a result of the conviction/pleas? A little more than two years later..

I guess he was liquidity-broke. It's also possible that the $40 million in assets wouldn't have covered the debt, which means that the guy in charge of the Republican nominee's campaign was super-double-fudge-sundae-with-cherries-on-top ****ed.

You know how having debt can be problematic for getting a security clearance? This is that times a billion trillion zillion.

Last edited:
Cue the "it's a nothingburger", "has nothng to do with Trump" crowd in, 3, 2, 1....:roll:

I guess he was liquidity-broke. It's also possible that the $40 million in assets wouldn't have covered the debt, which means that the guy in charge of the Republican nominee's campaign was super-double-fudge-sundae-with-cherries-on-top ****ed.

You know how having debt can be problematic for getting a security clearance? This is that times a billion trillion zillion.

Makes one wonder what he was going to use to “make us whole” again?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/29/paul-manafort-mueller-charges-court-trial-trump

Manafort allegedly owed serious debts to Deripaska and others and asked a colleague in one 2016 email how he might use his new position “to get whole”. - from the link

On the other hand, perhaps manafort was given an offer to repay his financial debt through other means....a favor, if you will.

Can't say I'm surprised. The more we understand the extent to which Russia had successfully infiltrated the GOP the more we almost have to wonder how the CIA could have dropped the ball so badly here. Historically speaking, this will go down as the single greatest FUBAR on their part, much worse than putting the Shah in power.

All we have to do is compare patterns and models. Maria Butina with the NRA, Manafort with Deripaska, Trump with Putin.
These patterns are all very similar, with similar and predictable results.

The failed business deal of Manafort and Deripaska was a start-up telecom company they co-founded in Ukraine that went belly up.

I do know Deripaska was suing Manfort for this debt in a Cyprus court.

All we have to do is compare patterns and models. Maria Butina with the NRA, Manafort with Deripaska, Trump with Putin.
These patterns are all very similar, with similar and predictable results.

And the Trump campaign's direct interaction with agents of the FSB itself. When this is all over I wonder how many tendrils we're going to find Russia had in the Republican Party in general and in Trump in particular.

Russian Ex-Spy Pressured Manafort Over Debts to an Oligarch

What's an "ex spy?" An ex spy is a person who doesn't appear to work for his country's government and of whom one or more of the following is true:
  • His/her government hasn't seen fit to ask him/her to, on the state's behalf, engage in clandestine acts.
  • His/her government has seen fit to ask him/her to, on the state's behalf, engage in clandestine acts, but only certain individuals in the government know the person has been asked to do so and s/he has indeed done (attempted to) do what's been requested.

And the Trump campaign's direct interaction with agents of the FSB itself. When this is all over I wonder how many tendrils we're going to find Russia had in the Republican Party in general and in Trump in particular.

To paraphrase Matt Taibbi: "Picture a giant vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."

The failed business deal of Manafort and Deripaska was a start-up telecom company they co-founded in Ukraine that went belly up.

I do know Deripaska was suing Manfort for this debt in a Cyprus court.

I think that we will hear more about Cyprus as this mess unfolds. Wilbur “sleepy” Ross was a senior member of a major bank in Cyprus. Cyprus has been rumored to be a go-between for laundering Russian money.

When did Cyprus become a major player in banking?

I guess the Trumplings still await Hannity on Monday for talking points?:roll:

Back
Top Bottom