• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Exclusive: Marvel’s New Iron Man Is a Black Woman

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Marvel: Riri Williams Takes Over as Iron Man From Tony Stark

[h=2]Marvel writer Brian Michael Bendis talks the creation of Riri Williams, who will take over for Tony Stark[/h]There’s a new Iron Man. Well, Iron Man for now. She’s still working on the name. The events at the end of the comic book event series Civil War II will result in Tony Stark stepping out of the Iron Man suit and a new character, Riri Williams, taking over, Marvel tells TIME. (Note: Tony’s departure doesn’t mean you know the end to Civil War II yet.)
Cause... making an original black female super hero just... isn't possible?

Yep, whatever sells comics to the demographic you are trying to hit.
I feel like you're missing some extremely basic marketing concepts.

I looked at the picture in the link, and have one question... How is she going to get all that hair inside that little helmet?

imvim2015_promo.jpg

This is a believable turn. Iron Man is all about execution within the suit.

I really don't care, so long as the story is good. However, let's be honest, if this fails, you'll get the assholes on the left screaming that it's because comic readers are racist and sexist, not because the comic isn't good. Everything have become politicized.

I looked at the picture in the link, and have one question... How is she going to get all that hair inside that little helmet?

Women possess some kind of space-warping tehcnology wherein all their hair compacts into an impossibly small bun or pony tail.

They're also going to re-brand "Iron Man" and call it "Iron Person of a Non-Specific Gender Identity". Either that or it's going to "Iron Babe" and the suit's going to have giant boobs and a thong.

She's also going to have to be lesbian and at least 13% Hispanic with either an Agnostic or Muslim lean.

Tony Stark becomes Tonya Stark the first Transgendered Superhero

Yes, make more, I'm down with that. I'm annoyed when current heroes are made over. Don't matter who or how.

Agreed. Shows the current lack of creativity. They can't seem to dream up new heroes but instead piggyback on the old.

I think part of that is they realize the new PC heroes aren't popular - at all. So they take an old popular hero and shoehorn in the PC.

Just like the movies.
Agreed. Shows the current lack of creativity. They can't seem to dream up new heroes but instead piggyback on the old.

I think part of that is they realize the new PC heroes aren't popular - at all. So they take an old popular hero and shoehorn in the PC.

In all fairness, both Marvel and DC have tried on numerous occasion to introduce new characters and in virtually all cases, they have failed to gain any traction. Fans just like the old characters and rarely ever care about new ones. The number of new characters that have been created in the past 15-20 years that have any kind of real popularity can probably be counted on one hand.

And if she asks you if you like it that way, or the way it was...there is no answer.

I prefer to get fussed at for pretending to ignore her, rather than answer such loaded questions and face the wrath of She Who Shall Not Be Disobeyed...

Female Iron Man
Female Thor
Black Captain America
Asian Hulk
Hispanic Spiderman
Female Wolverine
Personification of American Exceptionalism is actually an Evil Pseudo-Nazi Plant

Is it a pretty transparent attempt to appeal to a new audience of younger individuals where "social justice" has become a pop culture trend, and thus something for marketers to tap into, while trying to still capitalize on the nostalgic brand power of those old name? Absolutely.

Is it perfectly reasonable for such a tactic to be viewed as obnoxious or to dampen your enjoyment in the product? Absolutely.

Is that kind of thing, in a broader sense (massive change for the sake of spurring sales), a long running issue within comic books? Yes. Do new stories in comic books invalidate or remove the old ones from happening? No (well, basically no). Is it something to get horribly worked up about? Again, no.

If this latest stunt bothers you and ruins your enjoyment, don't read. If enough don't read, Marvel will do what comics have done for years and return to the status quo in time. If enough do read it, then we'll likely see them also do what Comics have done for years, and find a way to allow both sides to have their cake and eat it too by bringing back the originals and running it concurrent/in an alternate universe/different timeline/some other bull**** with the new stuff.

Back
Top Bottom