• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Exclusive: Business partner of Falwells says he had long affair with evangelical power couple

What is exactly immoral about consenting adults engaging in sexual activity? Or are you one of those religious types that thinks humans should only have one sexual partner their entire life, lest they be called "immoral"?

That's not my standard - it's Falwell's. The mere students - the regular people, not the guys like him who while doing 'god's work' who hang out with their pants unzipped on a yacht with their wife's assistant - who go to Liberty would be expelled for that behavior. And of course Falwell lies about it all, and throws his wife under the bus while claiming ignorance and his own innocence, because he's a piece of **** with no character, much less morals.

Defend that asshole if you want, but I don't know why you would. I don't care what people do in their bedrooms, but I do not respect people who force others to live by any set of rules then live their lives like the same rules do not apply to them, because they're different somehow. **** that guy. I'm glad to see him shamed on the national stage.

IIRC when that unzipped picture came out with Falwell and his wife's assistant and he was holding a drink I read that not only could a student get expelled/suspended for that kind of behavior and/or using alcohol they could also be fined... Fined!! IIRC up to $2k...

So his rules only apply to others? Not to him.. He can drink and live an immoral life... Us, and his students on the other hand have to be live by different standards? Typical hypocritical Republican.

Me as well. There is absolutely nothing surprising in this revelation. With very, very, very few exceptions, when someone in the public eye makes a big show of their religiosity, I assume they are in private amoral at best, and likely immoral. I've just found in my own life that those who are truly religious, Christians, demonstrate that by their actions, how they live, how they treat others, and don't need to tell anyone about it. If someone in business tells me what a good "Christian" they are, I grab hold of my wallet and find someone else to deal with if I can. It's a tell, in a bad way, in my experience, and it's rarely let me down.

I've done work off and on for a religious college over the past 15 years or so with a lawyer who works with them, and the leaders of that college are night and day different than Falwell, father or son. They walk the walk. The only outward sign when meeting with them or otherwise dealing with them that they're religious is they have a moment of silence before meals. Otherwise, our mandate was simple enough - do the right thing, something that the school would be proud to have printed in the paper. The last president I worked with raised about $100 million for the school, and took a salary of about $60,000 plus they provided him housing on campus, a little house that was the same as resident faculty who were required to live on campus were assigned. And he ate 'free' meals with the students and resident faculty in the school cafeteria. When he retired, the board of trustees insisted on providing him a retirement package. He'd opposed it when he was active as president, and only reluctantly accepted what was done without his blessing. He'd saved enough on his salary, he believed, to retire with adequate funds. Etc.

John R Butler Televangelist Video - YouTube

What is exactly immoral about consenting adults engaging in sexual activity? Or are you one of those religious types that thinks humans should only have one sexual partner their entire life, lest they be called "immoral"?

dude. it's what Falwell (and a ton of fake Christians) actually preach. constantly.

damn.

That's not my standard - it's Falwell's. The mere students - the regular people, not the guys like him who while doing 'god's work' who hang out with their pants unzipped on a yacht with their wife's assistant - who go to Liberty would be expelled for that behavior. And of course Falwell lies about it all, and throws his wife under the bus while claiming ignorance and his own innocence, because he's a piece of **** with no character, much less morals.

Defend that asshole if you want, but I don't know why you would. I don't care what people do in their bedrooms, but I do not respect people who force others to live by any set of rules then live their lives like the same rules do not apply to them, because they're different somehow. **** that guy. I'm glad to see him shamed on the national stage.

I would be proud defend someone from being criticized for consensual bedroom activity by conservative prudes like yourself.

I couldn't care less if he loses his job for being a hypocrite, but being attacked and shamed because of consensual adult bedroom activity? It's posts like yours and attitudes like yours that make LGBT and members of the lifestyle feel they have to hide or pass to not be criticized by some warped view of morality. I'm not ashamed to stand beside them, even if it draws ire from people like you.

dude. it's what Falwell (and a ton of fake Christians) actually preach. constantly.

damn.

Seems like there's lots of preaching going on in this thread. It's disgusting to anyone who understands the damage that shaming people who engage in consenting adult activities this does. And over partisan bs. Awful.

I would be proud defend someone from being criticized for consensual bedroom activity by conservative prudes like yourself.

LOL... read my history.

I couldn't care less if he loses his job for being a hypocrite, but being attacked and shamed because of consensual adult bedroom activity? It's posts like yours and attitudes like yours that make LGBT and members of the lifestyle feel they have to hide or pass to not be criticized by some warped view of morality. I'm not ashamed to stand beside them, even if it draws ire from people like you.

Either you're trolling or cannot read. I'm not attacking him because of consensual sexual behavior about which I care NOTHING, but because he's a piece of **** hypocrite and liar, who when caught throws his wife under the bus and denies his own involvement, and who demands the students at Liberty live by a code, attacks LGBT, who would be expelled at Liberty if open, and then believes the rules don't apply to him.

It's why I suspect trolling. He's no friend of the LGBT community, and you're defending that lying, hypocritical, self righteous asshole who would spit on LGBT people, and more importantly he's representative of a political culture that demonizes LGBT and believes them 'abominations' - sick, flawed, broken, who need treatment.

FWIW, my brother is gay and I've vocally defended LGBT on here for a very long time. I don't give a **** about your ignorant scolding of my views.

Seems like there's lots of preaching going on in this thread. It's disgusting to anyone who understands the damage that shaming people who engage in consenting adult activities this does. And over partisan bs. Awful.

We understand the damage of a brand of toxic, intolerant, hateful right wing "christianity" that Falwell leads. And we're shaming the lying, throwing his wife under the bus, and the hypocrisy, the 'rules for thee but not for me' attitude, the elitism, the using 'god' to acquire a fortune and dupe well meaning people out of their money, the corruption. Exposing guys like Falwell and the movement he leads for the hateful, lying, corrupt, power hungry hypocrites they are is a good thing.

Last edited:
LOL... read my history.

Either you're trolling or cannot read. I'm not attacking him because of consensual sexual behavior about which I care NOTHING, but because he's a piece of **** hypocrite and liar, who when caught throws his wife under the bus and denies his own involvement, and who demands the students at Liberty live by a code, attacks LGBT, who would be expelled at Liberty if open, and then believes the rules don't apply to him.

It's why I suspect trolling. He's no friend of the LGBT community, and you're defending that lying, hypocritical, self righteous asshole who would spit on LGBT people, and more importantly he's representative of a political culture that demonizes LGBT and believes them 'abominations' - sick, flawed, broken, who need treatment.

FWIW, my brother is gay and I've vocally defended LGBT on here for a very long time. I don't give a **** about your ignorant scolding of my views.

Your shaming of his sexual choices is disgusting. He may not be a friend to anyone, but shaming him the way you are goes far, far beyond this single case. Instead of saying "Oh, guess this guy is normal and does normal stuff, that's awful that he felt he had to hide this" you attacked him as, I quote "amoral, or immoral". There's a reason that people are afraid to be who they are and feel they have to remain closeted; it's because people like you and the way you attack them when they are exposed. Be supportive, or at least keep quiet when people's private bedroom choices are revealed and fewer people would feel the need to hide these things lest they be called "immoral."

Your shaming of his sexual choices is disgusting. He may not be a friend to anyone, but shaming him the way you are goes far, far beyond this single case. Instead of saying "Oh, guess this guy is normal and does normal stuff, that's awful that he felt he had to hide this" you attacked him as, I quote "amoral, or immoral". There's a reason that people are afraid to be who they are and feel they have to remain closeted; it's because people like you and the way you attack them when they are exposed. Be supportive, or at least keep quiet when people's private bedroom choices are revealed and fewer people would feel the need to hide these things lest they be called "immoral."

Again, you're trolling or you cannot read.

What I'm attacking is the lying, the hypocrisy, the fact that when caught he doesn't admit to his own failings, but throws his wife under the bus. What kind of a man with integrity does that - uses his public forum to deny his role, and blames everything on his wife? A worthless, cowardly, dishonest piece of **** in my view.

I'm attacking him for leading a movement hostile to LGBT for their sexual preferences, and for in his own life breaking the rules he sets for OTHERS, including those who at Liberty would be EXPELLED for the conduct engaged in by Falwell.

This is pretty simple stuff, that I explained several times in detail, so I can only conclude you're not arguing honestly here.

yeah, who are we to point out that a person preaches one thing and then gets busted doing the opposite.

i miss the days when Christians (mainly WWII vets, not their whiny grandchildren) stood up for honor and integrity. the ones that wouldn't accept a preacher/christian school leader who was a complete hypocrite.

now all we're left with are people like ^ this poster, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

We understand the damage of a brand of toxic, intolerant, hateful right wing "christianity" that Falwell leads. And we're shaming the lying, throwing his wife under the bus, and the hypocrisy, the 'rules for thee but not for me' attitude, the elitism, the using 'god' to acquire a fortune and dupe well meaning people out of their money, the corruption. Exposing guys like Falwell and the movement he leads for the hateful, lying, corrupt, power hungry hypocrites they are is a good thing.

really good post.

what's even more interesting is the posters that RUSH on to the internet to defend Jerry Falwell Jr's actions (after Falwell preached the opposite). there is something really wrong with those people.

Again, you're trolling or you cannot read.

What I'm attacking is the lying, the hypocrisy, the fact that when caught he doesn't admit to his own failings, but throws his wife under the bus. What kind of a man with integrity does that - uses his public forum to deny his role, and blames everything on his wife? A worthless, cowardly, dishonest piece of **** in my view.

I'm attacking him for leading a movement hostile to LGBT for their sexual preferences, and for in his own life breaking the rules he sets for OTHERS, including those who at Liberty would be EXPELLED for the conduct engaged in by Falwell.

This is pretty simple stuff, that I explained several times in detail, so I can only conclude you're not arguing honestly here.

Again, you deny attacking him and then in the next paragraph go back to attacking him for his sexual behavior. Your gaslighting isn't going to cut it on this topic. You had the opportunity to respond like a normal human "Oh, hey, sucks that he would be embarrassed about this, hopefully people realize that he and or his wife participating in these acts is no big deal" and instead you dog piled on him, oblivious to the fact that topics like this are much, much bigger than this individual. No wonder he felt pressured to deny and deflect; people like you are trying to shame him, which will also serve to shame anyone else who engages in these acts. Awful. When this was pointed out to you, instead of going "Oh, yeah, that makes sense, I didn't realize that I was actually attacking all sorts of people." you doubled and tripled down. I can see that you are uninterested in being an advocate for anyone outside of your "moral" conservative bubble, but I thought it important to give you the chance.

If you want to argue he should be fired for violating his employer's code of conduct, that's one thing. You may even be right. But to suggest he is "immoral" (whatever that means) because he is embarrassed at being outed and treated the way people have treated him and his wife is absurd.

yeah, who are we to point out that a person preaches one thing and then gets busted doing the opposite.

i miss the days when Christians (mainly WWII vets, not their whiny grandchildren) stood up for honor and integrity. the ones that wouldn't accept a preacher/christian school leader who was a complete hypocrite.

now all we're left with are people like ^ this poster, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

I'm sorry boomer, the 1950s are over, and they are not coming back. In 2020 it's ok if people (even Christians!) sleep around, drink with women who are not their wives, and engage in consensual 3somes. Tough that you wish it wasn't so, but progress is being made. You're on the wrong side of history on this one. Your conservative desires are not being catered to anymore.

Again, you deny attacking him and then in the next paragraph go back to attacking him for his sexual behavior.

I'm not attacking him for his sexual behavior, so for some reason you're not willing to engage on this topic honestly. If you want to address the reasons I am attacking him, which I laid out, do so or I'll leave it with this comment and move on to others willing to engage in good faith.

More than anything, how he treated his wife here shows his true lack of character and integrity. He doesn't admit to anything. He's lying, and when caught, he blames everything on his wife and he's doing it to protect his position atop Liberty and the larger movement he leads. So he's not only dishonest, but he's willing to shame his wife to protect himself.

If you want to argue he should be fired for violating his employer's code of conduct, that's one thing. You may even be right. But to suggest he is "immoral" (whatever that means) because he is embarrassed at being outed and treated the way people have treated him and his wife is absurd.

Again, what I'm calling 'immoral' has nothing to do with his bedroom activities. What word should I use for a "man" who when caught in behavior he'd like to keep secret lies about his own role, and throws his wife under the bus, blames her entirely for the issue? If you don't like immoral, worthless, cowardly piece of **** works for me as well.

I'm sorry boomer, the 1950s are over, and they are not coming back. In 2020 it's ok if people (even Christians!) sleep around, drink with women who are not their wives, and engage in consensual 3somes. Tough that you wish it wasn't so, but progress is being made. You're on the wrong side of history on this one. Your conservative desires are not being catered to anymore.

It's OK to lead a college that would expel students for that behavior, and a movement that treats such persons including LGBT as damaged scum, and then to engage in the same behavior you condemn and your college severely punish if engaged in by someone else?

That's what you're missing here, deliberately and dishonestly IMO. The 'christian' movement represented by Falwell would condemn the behavior engaged in by Falwell. So Falwell tells us his own behavior if done by others is not acceptable, those who engage in it aren't allowed to attend Liberty University, but he as President can do it and it's somehow unfair for him to suffer consequences for that.

I'm not attacking him for his sexual behavior, so for some reason you're not willing to engage on this topic honestly. If you want to address the reasons I am attacking him, which I laid out, do so or I'll leave it with this comment and move on to others willing to engage in good faith.

More than anything, how he treated his wife here shows his true lack of character and integrity. He doesn't admit to anything. He's lying, and when caught, he blames everything on his wife and he's doing it to protect his position atop Liberty and the larger movement he leads. So he's not only dishonest, but he's willing to shame his wife to protect himself.

Again, what I'm calling 'immoral' has nothing to do with his bedroom activities. What word should I use for a "man" who when caught in behavior he'd like to keep secret lies about his own role, and throws his wife under the bus, blames her entirely for the issue? If you don't like immoral, worthless, cowardly piece of **** works for me as well.

See, if you had led with this instead of focusing on unrelated stuff until called out on it, it would have been a much better conversation. Your progress on the topic is encouraging. Thank you for the discussion.

See, if you had led with this instead of focusing on unrelated stuff until called out on it, it would have been a much better conversation. Your progress on the topic is encouraging. Thank you for the discussion.

I didn't focus on unrelated stuff, and didn't need you to call me on anything or for my views to "progress". The point above I'm made several times, and you've ignored it several times to dishonestly claim I'm attacking him for what he did in the bedroom, and not the lies, hypocrisy, rules for thee, not for me, etc.

I don't get your approach here. It's not in good faith, now you claim credit that's undeserved.

^ this dude will defend any hypocrite or any lie or any liar. the size doesn't matter.

^ this dude will defend any hypocrite or any lie or any liar. the size doesn't matter.

I'll defend people (even Christians!) from being attacked by boomers for consensual adult relationships. Attacking people for these things hurts everyone who engages in these activities and makes more people scared to admit their actions, leading to more hypocrites and more self righteous indignation by conservatives who wish to shame people who don't subscribe to their outdated puritanical views of morality.

I'll defend people (even Christians!) from being attacked by boomers for consensual adult relationships. Attacking people for these things hurts everyone who engages in these activities and makes more people scared to admit their actions, leading to more hypocrites and more self righteous indignation by conservatives who wish to shame people who don't subscribe to their outdated puritanical views of morality.

...lol, as you defend one of the leaders of a school and a movement that promotes self righteous indignation and shaming people who don't subscribe to their outdated, puritanical views of morality...

You can't make this stuff up... :2rofll:

...lol, as you defend one of the leaders of a school and a movement that promotes self righteous indignation and shaming people who don't subscribe to their outdated, puritanical views of morality...

You can't make this stuff up... :2rofll:

From being shamed for being embarrassed by his sexual orientation? You bet. It's because of attacks like this that people are scared to come out. There's a right side to progress and history and basic human decency; I'm confident where I stand.

No one is saying he should keep his job or he was a nice guy; but attacking people for being outed is the exact reason people are so scared of being outed. It's awful. But I've been told that the cruelty is the point.

Exclusive: Business partner of Falwells says he had long affair with evangelical power couple - Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a claim likely to intensify the controversy surrounding one of the most influential figures in the American Christian conservative movement, a business partner of Jerry Falwell Jr has come forward to say he had a years-long sexual relationship involving Falwell’s wife and the evangelical leader.

Giancarlo Granda says he was 20 when he met Jerry and Becki Falwell while working as a pool attendant at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel in March 2012. Starting that month and continuing into 2018, Granda told Reuters that the relationship involved him having sex with Becki Falwell while Jerry Falwell looked on.

Granda showed Reuters emails, text messages and other evidence that he says demonstrate the sexual nature of his relationship with the couple, who have been married since 1987. “Becki and I developed an intimate relationship and Jerry enjoyed watching from the corner of the room,” Granda said in an interview. Now 29, he described the liaisons as frequent – “multiple times per year” – and said the encounters took place at hotels in Miami and New York, and at the Falwells’ home in Virginia.

His friendship with the Falwells eventually soured, Granda told Reuters, in part because he wanted to dissolve his ties with the couple and fell into a business dispute with them.
=============================================================================
I always thought Falwell was a hypocrite.

Falwell is definitely a candidate for hypocrite of the year award.

No. All you're doing is defending a hypocrite who would be kicked out of his own religious school.

I described you perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom