• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Examples of what is wrong with American Police

Make your own thread instead of trying to derail this one. I will gladly participate and you can throw your best at me. Leave this thread to the topic.

Thank you.

You're thread is titled, Examples of what is wrong with American Police
You also state twice with,WHAT IS WRONG IN AMERICA.

And in another response you state that nobody should be stopped by a cop for a tail light out and then asked all these questions about where they are going, where they came from, how they are feeling...the cop should give the ****ing ticket and **** off.

So, instead of using these videos to express your prejudice and anger toward American Police and America, why don't you just tell us your tail light story.

And, to answer your question, what's wrong in America, it's the overwhelming prejudice, anger and hatred prevalent in this country now!

Last edited:
The OP is totally disconnected.

The title of his own thread leads the reader in thinking this is what is wrong with (all) American police while he uses an incident from the Jersey Shore, and when anyone tries to say that all police are not this way, he then goes ballistic and wants you to focus on the NJ incident.

He wants it both ways or it's gonna be "Katie bar the door"

You also state twice with,WHAT IS WRONG IN AMERICA.

And in another response you state that nobody should be stopped by a cop for a tail light out and then asked all these questions about where they are going, where they came from, how they are feeling...the cop should give the ****ing ticket and **** off.

So, instead of using these videos to express your prejudice and anger toward American Police and America, why don't you just tell us your tail light story.

And, to answer your question, what's wrong in America, it's the overwhelming prejudice, anger and hatred prevalent in this country now!
What specifically is your argument? That people can not have criticism of American cops?

The OP is totally disconnected.

The title of his own thread leads the reader in thinking this is what is wrong with (all) American police while he uses an incident from the Jersey Shore, and when anyone tries to say that all police are not this way, he then goes ballistic and wants you to focus on the NJ incident.

He wants it both ways or it's gonna be "Katie bar the door"
Passive Aggressive describes this post. Why are you following me and talking about me instead of the problem with America Cops?

What specifically is your argument? That people can not have criticism of American cops?
As many other posters here have already said, the videos, are an example of inappropriate treatment of civilians and unprofessional actions by police.

The issue is your broad brush criticism of American Police and America. Yes, I know you did back off in one of the posts about the generalization about police in American, but, I repeat again,

You also state twice with "WHAT IS WRONG IN AMERICA!"

Did you ever hear the expression: Be careful what you say, you can't take it back!

I'd be very surprised if you can find anybody in this entire forum criticizing your country.

Yes, you may want to use my statement of facts about NZ police to contradict that.. As I'm sure you know, I posted those to make a point about you using some videos to criticize an entire country. We have more than enough people in this forum criticizing their own country.

Finally, a positive for me, I learned a lot about New Zealand! New Zealand, an island country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean. It consists of two main landmasses—the North Island and the South Island —and more than 700 smaller islands, covering a total area of 268,021 square kilometres.

Absolutely stunning pictures on Google maps.

As many other posters here have already said, the videos, are an example of inappropriate treatment of civilians and unprofessional actions by police.

The issue is your broad brush criticism of American Police and America. Yes, I know you did back off in one of the posts about the generalization about police in American, but, I repeat again,

You also state twice with "WHAT IS WRONG IN AMERICA!"

Did you ever hear the expression: Be careful what you say, you can't take it back!

I'd be very surprised if you can find anybody in this entire forum criticizing your country.

Yes, you may want to use my statement of facts about NZ police to contradict that.. As I'm sure you know, I posted those to make a point about you using some videos to criticize an entire country.

Finally, a positive for me, I learned a lot about New Zealand! New Zealand, an island country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean. It consists of two main landmasses—the North Island and the South Island —and more than 700 smaller islands, covering a total area of 268,021 square kilometres.

Absolutely stunning pictures on Google maps.

Yep. I was just down there in January... . Queenstown. Obviously a beautiful area.

What a lot of foreigners don't realize that police are employed and trained by local districts. We don't have a national police like most countries do. So a city like Dallas or a town hires a police officer, trains them, and monitors their job performance.
What many US citizens don't realize is there are state and national standards for law enforcement. Training is at the state level. Every certified academy has state certified training officers. A small town cop doesn't have the same amount of gang or drug task force training specialized cops have in big cities but he has every bit as much as any rookie leaving the 'official' state academy. I know this because I helped in the reserve officer academy here, as well as the state mandated 'quals' for ALL level of commissioned Officers- from state trooper to small town reservist.

Law Enforcement has fought to prevent any sort of national monitor system, or prohibiting fired for cause Officers just moving to another department and starting all over again. That could do with changing... ✌️

Based on that video, the cops should be fired and charged with assault and false arrest. She resisted arrest but that doesn't excuse the cop attempting to arrest her without any cause whatsoever and everything else stems from that.
We could discuss how the officers handled the situation after first having established a reasonable suspicion to investigate the girls when they saw they had alchol in their possesion and no adult present, but what the video shows at the beginning isn't outside the authority of the police. The officer observed a person who appeared to be under age who he suspected may have been consuming alchohol on the beach (they did have alchol in their possession) which is either prohibited on the beach, but for certain prohibited for anyone under age. The officer then initiates a CONSENSUAL conversation with the subject which is not illegal, and what does the girl do? She takes part in the conversation. She is under no legal demand to talk to the officer, she is not driving a motor vehicle, she is on a public beach.

Next she further opens the door for more investigation by consenting to a field sobriety test (breath test), and she does so willingly--- something she is not required to do, but she happily volunteers and then seems to pass. But now the officers are back to the original reasonable suspicion, and that is why do these underage girls have alcohol? The girl then says the alcohol "belongs to her aunt". The officer then asks, "where is your aunt?" And the girl sort of trips up but catches herself; she first says her aunt "is on her way", but then corrects and say, "she left but is coming back." The officer at that point is willing to be reasonable and allow her to call her aunt, but the girl starts in with an attitude, tells the cop to mind his own business, and then walks off. When does telling a cop to mind his own business ever work? At this point the officers are just going to pour out the alcohol, and if the girl hadn't been such a brat, it would have all ended right there. But as if on cue, the girl makes it worse. All they were going to do was pour out the alcohol and issue a citation, but then the girl REFUSES to giver her name. She is REQUIRED to give her name for a citation, otherwise she can be detained (cuffed) and taken to be ID'd. That is how it works.

Could be she wasn't drinking. Could be the aunt had been there and left, but SHE just like everyone else needs to know what the laws/rules are, and then not be surprised when they are being enforced. The police there are assigned to beach patrol, and specifically enforcing alcohol consumption. They are doing the jobs being asked. Keeping teenagers from being DUI and possibly driving, or breaking laws on the beach. Why is that a mystery to the OP? There isn't something "wrong with America" in this and other videos. What is wrong----and STUPID, is how some people act around cops after it was the citizens who INVITED the police attention by their behavior, and then acted entitled and infantile, and then eventually uncooperative and resist arrest after THEY escalate it to that level.

The cops would have just poured out the booze, wrote a citation, and moved on. When I was a teenager my friends in I were in this exact same situation so many times it isn't even funny. But the difference was we were respectful, didn't act like the cops were stupid, or clearly not aware we had been caught. And even when we were DRINKING (as long as not driving) and asked to pour out our beer, we complied, including a "yes sir", and then that was the end of it. Cops have their jobs to do, why do people take it personally? ESPECIALLY people who are in violation already? Did the girl really think the cops are on the beach to arrest everyone breaking that rule? Not a chance. Had she just been honest and poured it out, maybe not even a citation. BUT NO! Somehow she lives her life feeling that being a brat works for her. Well, it doesn't.

Here is another one of a man tazed while handcuffed in the back of the squad car... for yelling. Then later threatened to get tazed again while sitting in the police station... for just arguing. Bad Cop!

We could discuss how the officers handled the situation after first having established a reasonable suspicion to investigate the girls when they saw they had alchol in their possesion and no adult present, but what the video shows at the beginning isn't outside the authority of the police. The officer observed a person who appeared to be under age who he suspected may have been consuming alchohol on the beach (they did have alchol in their possession) which is either prohibited on the beach, but for certain prohibited for anyone under age. The officer then initiates a CONSENSUAL conversation with the subject which is not illegal, and what does the girl do? She takes part in the conversation. She is under no legal demand to talk to the officer, she is not driving a motor vehicle, she is on a public beach.

Next she further opens the door for more investigation by consenting to a field sobriety test (breath test), and she does so willingly--- something she is not required to do, but she happily volunteers and then seems to pass. But now the officers are back to the original reasonable suspicion, and that is why do these underage girls have alcohol? The girl then says the alcohol "belongs to her aunt". The officer then asks, "where is your aunt?" And the girl sort of trips up but catches herself; she first says her aunt "is on her way", but then corrects and say, "she left but is coming back." The officer at that point is willing to be reasonable and allow her to call her aunt, but the girl starts in with an attitude, tells the cop to mind his own business, and then walks off. When does telling a cop to mind his own business ever work? At this point the officers are just going to pour out the alcohol, and if the girl hadn't been such a brat, it would have all ended right there. But as if on cue, the girl makes it worse. All they were going to do was pour out the alcohol and issue a citation, but then the girl REFUSES to giver her name. She is REQUIRED to give her name for a citation, otherwise she can be detained (cuffed) and taken to be ID'd. That is how it works.

Could be she wasn't drinking. Could be the aunt had been there and left, but SHE just like everyone else needs to know what the laws/rules are, and then not be surprised when they are being enforced. The police there are assigned to beach patrol, and specifically enforcing alcohol consumption. They are doing the jobs being asked. Keeping teenagers from being DUI and possibly driving, or breaking laws on the beach. Why is that a mystery to the OP? There isn't something "wrong with America" in this and other videos. What is wrong----and STUPID, is how some people act around cops after it was the citizens who INVITED the police attention by their behavior, and then acted entitled and infantile, and then eventually uncooperative and resist arrest after THEY escalate it to that level.

The cops would have just poured out the booze, wrote a citation, and moved on. When I was a teenager my friends in I were in this exact same situation so many times it isn't even funny. But the difference was we were respectful, didn't act like the cops were stupid, or clearly not aware we had been caught. And even when we were DRINKING (as long as not driving) and asked to pour out our beer, we complied, including a "yes sir", and then that was the end of it. Cops have their jobs to do, why do people take it personally? ESPECIALLY people who are in violation already? Did the girl really think the cops are on the beach to arrest everyone breaking that rule? Not a chance. Had she just been honest and poured it out, maybe not even a citation. BUT NO! Somehow she lives her life feeling that being a brat works for her. Well, it doesn't.
I'm with you maybe 50%, but seems to me after the woman passed the breathalyzer twice and told the police the twisted tea belonged to her aunt the officers had two options -- move on, or wait and watch to see if the woman drank the alcohol or if the aunt arrived and denied the tea was hers. The officer got pissed because he approached with an attitude, assuming she was drinking, and it blew up in his face. Anybody who has been to Wildwood knows that groups and families park there on the beach to get their spots then go off to the boardwalk or the piers which have rides and games and rollercoasters and food stands and bathrooms and everything else throughout the day. If alcohol is allowed on the beach you are going to end up with these situations. There's no rational excuse for law enforcement to assault a 20 year old woman who they confirmed was not drinking and who gave a plausible reason for having a twisted fricking tea.

Make your own thread instead of trying to derail this one. I will gladly participate and you can throw your best at me. Leave this thread to the topic.

Thank you.

Your topic is a broad brush swipe at all U.S. cops, hence you lost the debate a few days ago.
People have stated what I'm stating for you now. Learn by your dumb mistakes.

Hmmm.

Well there are over 18,000 police departments in the USA, with approximately 1 million full and part-time police officers serving. https://usafacts.org/articles/police-departments-explained/

1,127 people were killed by police in 2020. 80 victims were unarmed.

But 670 had a gun, 180 had a knife, 65 were driving a vehicle, 59 were wielding some other object (clubs, bats, chains?), 73 undetermined.

48% of victims were White, 27% Black, 21% Hispanic, and 4% other. https://policeviolencereport.org/

That means 0.001, or 1 in every thousand police officers was involved in a shooting in 2020. Not all shootings were "bad" shoots.

Based on these figures, there is NOTHING wrong in America. There are simply a very few bad or poorly trained officers who get involved in such incidents.

Like "mass shootings" the "bad cop" incidents are blown out of all proportion to the reality of law enforcement in the USA.
You know, no one died in the OP video. It's not going to show up in any of the statistics. One reason people are angry all across the country is that this sort of petty police abuse is commonplace. At the slightest sign of disrespect or disobedience, cops will escalate to absurd levels. They'll get physical like the guy in the OP, or they'll draw a loaded weapon and aim it at a citizen. Like the guy in the OP, they'll claim they felt threatened or were attacked. As with the OP, it is often obvious bullshit. Far too many bootlickers in this country think we should just take the abuse and lies because "their job is hard".

Your topic is a broad brush swipe at all U.S. cops,
No. This is wrong.
hence you lost the debate a few days ago.
People have stated what I'm stating for you now. Learn by your dumb mistakes.
Making these statements stupid and false... and stupid.

It would be ridiculous say to this one cop is bad so all cops are bad but equally ludicrous to say that this is the only dick cop in America and the rest are all awesome. There is obviously a percentage of cops that are terrible at their jobs which often has deadly consequences. It’s of course extremely difficult to figure out exactly how many are shitty cops. Some might be good at their jobs sometimes and not other time. Lots of other cops say nothing about their incompetent or dangerous colleague or lie to protect them. Definitely something wrong with police culture though.

I’ve seen about 50 videos like the ones in this thread where the cops are killing someone or tasing or beating them or arresting them for nothing. One video they were pepper spraying a nine year old girl. A group of adults thought that was an appropriate way to behave. Another cop was about to shoot a guy who had a trash grabber in his hand. The cops seems to be out of control at the moment. They have been under intense scrutiny for last year, they have body cams and citizen phones recording their every move and they still act like this?

Not much from the Abusive Cop Lovers Association... why is that?

WHAT IS WRONG IN AMERICA.
What's wrong is:

• Police are seldom held accountable when they do something wrong.

• Police in the US have a highly confrontational "us vs them" attitude.

• Police unions almost always refuse to do anything to fix the above issues.

• Most negative police interactions are with minorities, and there are still a lot of Americans who don't care or actively want police to harass, intimidate, even assault minorities.

The end result is that police think they can do whatever they want.

What's wrong is:

• Police are seldom held accountable when they do something wrong.

• Police in the US have a highly confrontational "us vs them" attitude.

• Police unions almost always refuse to do anything to fix the above issues.

• Most negative police interactions are with minorities, and there are still a lot of Americans who don't care or actively want police to harass, intimidate, even assault minorities.

The end result is that police think they can do whatever they want.
Good post...

We could discuss how the officers handled the situation after first having established a reasonable suspicion to investigate the girls when they saw they had alchol in their possesion and no adult present, but what the video shows at the beginning isn't outside the authority of the police.
Approaching the women, asking them questions, and asking for a breathalyzer test wasn't the problem.

They weren't drinking. They passed breathalyzer tests, and the officer knew it. He even insisted on repeating it, apparently because it didn't give the result he wanted. The officer didn't want to wait for the over-21 person to show up. They arrested Ms Weinman not for doing anything illegal, but because they didn't like her attitude.

Absolutely nothing she did justified the officer using a choke hold, repeatedly punching her in the head, pulling her hair, or otherwise assaulting her during the arrest.

There isn't something "wrong with America" in this and other videos.
Yes, there is. America doesn't hold police accountable, thus some police abuse their authority. Police have an "us vs them" attitude, thus they often close ranks and protect each other when one officer does something wrong. Prosecutors and politicians often protect bad officers as well. That's a problem, and this is a typical example of it.

What is wrong----and STUPID, is how some people act around cops after it was the citizens who INVITED the police attention by their behavior....
:rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with compliance. The women were compliant, and the officer decided to arrest and then beat down Ms Weinman anyway.

Cops have their jobs to do, why do people take it personally?
It was the officer who decided to take it personally, and act like Cartman when his "authoritah" was challenged.

That's why she got a $325,000 settlement.

Cop thought they were underage drinking... they were not, cop started trying to "be in control" because she was challenging his ineptness... She was trying to contact her aunt... he thought she did not comply with whatever fast enough... he slams her to the ground and punches her a couple of times... for those "cops can **** over anybody" assholes out there... the cop admits to punching, then the cops threaten the family. Then the other cops all back up the asshole cops bullshit story... the kids even blew zero alcohol!

In New Zealand this would have been a simple conversation, perhaps dumping the alcohol (even though in this case none were supposedly open) and if they were to just remove them off the beach... kids and cops would probably laugh or agree... kids would have most likely agreed and moved on even if the cops were in the wrong... but the cops would have been patient and talked the situation out for a while... not this cop though.

In the vast majority of cases in the US this would have been a simple conversation, perhaps dumping the alcohol (even though in this case none were supposedly open) and if they were to just remove them off the beach... kids and cops would probably laugh or agree... kids would have most likely agreed and moved on even if the cops were in the wrong.

Someone already made the point that you refuse to acknowledge. There are some 60 MILLION police contacts every year and a comparative handful if incidents like this occur...and they are un-excusable, should be identified, and I agree...the cops should be removed at least and criminally held liable where justified.

So as has been said...there IS NOT a problem with POLICING in America...but there are problems with some police. If we applied your same logic, would you be comfortable with the headline "This is what is wrong with the blacks in America" because a minority of black Americans commit a majority of ALL violent crimes and murders in the US?

And New Zealand...

Whaaaaaaaat? Tazed for noncompliance???

And New Zealand...

Whaaaaaaaat? Tazed for noncompliance???

Are you kidding with that New Zealand clip? LOL

We didn't see what happened at all prior and what we do see is one guy actively resisting and swearing at cops while the girl is running back and forth interfering and even grabbing one of the detained and pulling him away from the cop. Cops don't do much, taze the resister and calmly take the two arrested to the car. If that is the best you can do then NZ is looking mighty ****ing fine right about now. If you want to make a NZ Cops thread though, make the thread and I will address things... but not in this thread please... thank you. And they are Mongrel Mob... a very violent gang here.

Meanwhile, back in America a cop punches a cuffed women in the face.

Last edited:

Cop thought they were underage drinking... they were not, cop started trying to "be in control" because she was challenging his ineptness... She was trying to contact her aunt... he thought she did not comply with whatever fast enough... he slams her to the ground and punches her a couple of times... for those "cops can **** over anybody" assholes out there... the cop admits to punching, then the cops threaten the family. Then the other cops all back up the asshole cops bullshit story... the kids even blew zero alcohol!

In New Zealand this would have been a simple conversation, perhaps dumping the alcohol (even though in this case none were supposedly open) and if they were to just remove them off the beach... kids and cops would probably laugh or agree... kids would have most likely agreed and moved on even if the cops were in the wrong... but the cops would have been patient and talked the situation out for a while... not this cop though.

First, this is NJ. I've never liked the State (as many don't) or its people and have always found the people there to be a combination of bitterness and unfriendliness. (Not unlike the bitch that was cuffed).

Second, I don't know how strict NJ is towards alcohol on the beach (was she a minor with a kid?) but its not Florida. The cop wasn't hostile but he was inquisitive. She was defensive, evasive, and resorted to loudly yelling her rage that she was gong to be ticketed. Rather than just cooperate, she refused to give her name and repeatedly tried to walk away.

Third, when the cop was fed up, she resisted arrest. She screamed all the usual entitlement accusations the media has trained her to say screaming "he's choking me", yada, yada, yelling at the cop about her rights and what she thinks he is and is not allowed to do, again using racial insults that she believes is permissible when applied to whites ("white trash").

Frankly the girl/woman is a bitch, and acted like an entitled bitch from the start. Apparently her story about her aunt was a lie because she never gave her number.

She was a Karen with a cop, and got what she deserved.

Last edited:
I'm with you maybe 50%, but seems to me after the woman passed the breathalyzer twice and told the police the twisted tea belonged to her aunt the officers had two options -- move on, or wait and watch to see if the woman drank the alcohol or if the aunt arrived and denied the tea was hers. The officer got pissed because he approached with an attitude, assuming she was drinking, and it blew up in his face. Anybody who has been to Wildwood knows that groups and families park there on the beach to get their spots then go off to the boardwalk or the piers which have rides and games and rollercoasters and food stands and bathrooms and everything else throughout the day. If alcohol is allowed on the beach you are going to end up with these situations. There's no rational excuse for law enforcement to assault a 20 year old woman who they confirmed was not drinking and who gave a plausible reason for having a twisted fricking tea.

You're mind reading. I say and heard nothing in the cop's demeanor that suggested he was pissed that she (presumably) passed (I say presumably because I heard him tell his partner something about "40" when putting the breathalyzer away). He still intended to write her a citation unless she provided her "aunts" number, rather than sneaking off attempting to convey a likely cover story to her "aunt", out of ear shot of the cop.

She lost her cool, freaked out, became uncooperative, and refused to provide her name. So he had to arrest her. That is how it works.

First, this is NJ. I've never liked the State (as many don't) or its people and have always found the people there to be a combination of bitterness and unfriendliness. (Not unlike the bitch that was cuffed).

Second, I don't know how strict NJ is towards alcohol on the beach (was she a minor with a kid?) but its not Florida. The cop wasn't hostile but he was inquisitive. She was defensive, evasive, and resorted to loudly yelling her rage that she was gong to be ticketed. Rather than just cooperate, she refused to give her name and repeatedly tried to walk away.

Third, when the cop was fed up, she resisted arrest. She screamed all the usual entitlement accusations the media has trained her to say screaming "he's choking me", yada, yada, yelling at the cop about her rights and what she thinks he is and is not allowed to do, again using racial insults that she believes is permissible when applied to whites ("white trash").

Frankly the girl/woman is a bitch, and acted like an entitled bitch from the start. Apparently her story about her aunt was a lie because she never gave her number.

There was no reason for him to try to arrest her in the first place... she was just trying to get her aunt. He could have waited. There is no law that says shit has to happen in "Cop Time" or you get arrested. That is the whole point of this thread... to help educate people like you. He is an asshole cop and hopefully got fired... but I bet he got high-fives from the boys in blue for beating up on a teenage girl and then lying about it instead.

This kind of post is part of the problem with police in the US.

The woman (she was 20, not a minor) complied with the officer, including passing multiple breathalyzer tests. I.e. she wasn't drinking.

It isn't a crime to talk back to a police officer. Police officers are not supposed to arrest someone because they are "fed up." The officer couldn't bother to wait a few minutes for the over-21 individual to show up.

The primary reason he arrested her was because he didn't like her attitude. He choked her (yes, he put her in a choke hold), punched her in the head, and used an unnecessary level of force because... he was mad at her.

Americans who reflexively defend bad behavior by police officers just compound the problem.

Back
Top Bottom