• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Examining the legacy of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
BBC News - Examining the legacy of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill

Quote(As experts try to assess the long-term impact of the spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the BBC World Service asked two people who experienced the Exxon Valdez disaster in 1989 to look back and consider its impact on Alaska's communities.)

It is now 21 years since the Exxon Valdez disaster and still after all this time there remains an estimated 20,000 Gallons of oil on the beaches of Prince William Sound.

President Obama when giving his speech from the oval Office stated that he expected that the Gulf shoreline would be returned to it's pristine condition within two years.

These words are going to come back to haunt him, once Oil reaches the shore, if that shore line is rocks, then the spill can be cleansed reasonably speedily, when the shore is beach, it cannot be cleansed as readily, when the shore line is salt water marshland, then the chances of ever removing the Oil are virtually impossible, certainly to restore the Gulf will take an absolute minimum length of time of 12 to 20 years and even then pollution will remain.

My problem is not with the pollution of the Gulf, rather my problem is the Pollution of area's where pipelines cross.
In Alaska there are well over 800 miles of pipeline, much of this pipeline is owned by BP, who do not have a good record of Pipeline Inspection.

Most of the other major Pipeline operating Company's do have a reasonable level of Pipeline Inspection, but even so, we still hear about Pipelines rupturing and spilling great quantities of Oil or other Liquid and or gas out over widespread area's.

Once Oil or other Liquid product get into the earth it can sink down and pollute the water table with consequences extremely dire to those who rely on that water table for either their Farming needs or indeed their own consumption, this water table pollution can and often does spread for many miles in all directions, it cannot be cleaned.

No doubt this is a bad bad thing. I don't need anyone to tell me that. Right now, we need to get the oil supply shut off. At least with Valdez once the boat was empty it was over. This doesn't have an end right now. Its hard to dry off the car if you can't get the hose to shut off. Lets get the water turned off first.

Back
Top Bottom