• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ex-New York Times editor Jill Abramson rips paper's 'unmistakably anti-Trump' bias

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Jill Abramson, the Harvard lecturer who served as the first and only female executive editor of The New York Times from 2011 to 2014, has some harsh words for her former employer in her upcoming book, saying its “unmistakably anti-Trump” agenda risks damaging its credibility.

In “Merchants of Truth: The Business of News and the Fight for Facts,” reviewed by Fox News, Ms. Abramson complains about the unabashed liberal bent taken on by her successor, executive editor Dean Baquet.

“Though Baquet said publicly he didn’t want the Times to be the opposition party, his news pages were unmistakably anti-Trump,” she wrote, according to Fox News. “Some headlines contained raw opinion, as did some of the stories that were labeled as news analysis.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/2/jill-abramson-ex-new-york-times-editor-rips-papers/
=================================================================

So now even an Ex NYT editor admits the NYT is biased anti Trump. So now you can't trust the Times to be " Real" News. How far has the Times fallen its sad to see this happen to a formerly respected News source. And Jill Abramson doesn't even like Trump.

Last edited:
I definitely think they have an anti-Trump bias. But I also don’t really have a problem with bias in the media. I have a problem with dishonesty in the media. And NYT has been reasonably good in that area and printing retractions when they get something wrong.

I definitely think they have an anti-Trump bias. But I also don’t really have a problem with bias in the media. I have a problem with dishonesty in the media. And NYT has been reasonably good in that area and printing retractions when they get something wrong.

Reporting should be objective, and reality is often objectively.. Anti-Trump.

Bias? What does that word even mean anymore?

Seems to me people think the media has a responsibility to report an equal amount of good stories to bad stories, regardless of what the facts might be.

Well, that's not objectivity, that's the illusion of facts always being politically neutral, when it isn't.

NYT is biased against Trump and Fox is biased for him. I guess it kinda evens out.

It's irresponsible for journalists to pretend this is a normal administration, and that everything is running smoothly.

It's irresponsible for journalists to pretend this is a normal administration, and that everything is running smoothly.

Well that certainly raises the question: What was a "normal" administration? And is it appropriate for ostensibly-objective media organizations to frame themselves as direct opponents of a particular political administration?

Last edited:

The bias, particularly with Trump, rears its head when it comes to story selection. Yes, Trump does more stupid and bad things than smart and good things. So you would expect to see more negative stories. But the NYT reports the bad over the good even more than one would expect. Some of the negative stories are petty and would be ignored if committed by Obama or Bush. That is bias, even if the journalist tasked with the story is 100% accurate and objective.

I certainly agree with you, Skeptic Bob, but I would add: I have no problem with bias in the media, so long as it is declared at the outset by the editorial staff what their bias is. If the New York Times stated that it presented the facts through the lens of leftwing progressivism, I certainly would hold it in far higher estimation.

The only question is which negative Trump stories to publish because there just isn't room for them all.

Then between the time the decision is made and when publication actually happens, Trump has likely already done some other nastiness which obviously is going to be reported on. And if Obama had done anything remotely similar, these people bleating about how unfair the media is to Trump would be tuned in to Fox and Rush and Hannity listening to hours worth of rehash about what an outrageous thing Obama did.

I certainly agree with you, Skeptic Bob, but I would add: I have no problem with bias in the media, so long as it is declared at the outset by the editorial staff what their bias is. If the New York Times stated that it presented the facts through the lens of leftwing progressivism, I certainly would hold it in far higher estimation.

I can’t argue with that. Fair point.

The media's main mistake is allowing 2 sides of a faux issue to be debated. If it is raining outside, you do NOT have a debate where one side says it is raining and the other side says it is sunny. You look out the ****ing window and report what you see.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/2/jill-abramson-ex-new-york-times-editor-rips-papers/

So now even an Ex NYT editor admits the NYT is biased anti Trump. So now you can't trust the Times to be " Real" News. How far has the Times fallen its sad to see this happen to a formerly respected News source. And Jill Abramson doesn't even like Trump.

Well, in the NYTs defense, it's pretty hard not to be anti-Trump.

Did she write a column on this? It’s not as if the Washington Times is a neutral source.

By no means should they have to report the same amount good stories as bad stories. The problem with their bias is they are often report wrongly and no try and verify any bad information and have to print retractions. That's the sign of a bad paper.

I haven't given the NYT any thought or validity on domestic news since they hired that racist bitch Sarah Jeong and even tried to justify her racist comments. NYT has some good international news stories, but I dont consider it having any validity when it comes to US politics or domestic news.

I haven't given the NYT any thought or validity on domestic news since they hired that racist bitch Sarah Jeong and even tried to justify her racist comments. NYT has some good international news stories, but I dont consider it having any validity when it comes to US politics or domestic news.

Good, stick with InfoWars...The New York Times doesn't need your "kind" to validate it

Well that certainly raises the question: What was a "normal" administration? And is it appropriate for ostensibly-objective media organizations to frame themselves as direct opponents of a particular political administration?
You've got to be kidding me. This administration has abandoned any semblance of trying to tell the truth. Trump supporters even acknowledge that Trump is lying to them (Mexico is still gonna pay for that wall amiright?). Trump attacks the media, probably almost daily viciously and once again without any moral compass around truth telling

Conservatives pass lie after bald faced lie from ostensibly the most powerful person in the word, and then they are all "OMG, a newspaper has a liberal bent, that's the real story here."

Give me a break.

This is true. And the 'can't trust' moniker added by some here is flat wrong: if they're not lying, then it is just bias.

The real problem as many see it, is the NYT or WaPo seem to have precious little else to talk about. Yes we get it, Trump is a monster. It doesn't make the incessant articles about this from these sources 'wrong' but it does mean they go on about it too much.

Bias? What does that word even mean anymore?

Seems to me people think the media has a responsibility to report an equal amount of good stories to bad stories, regardless of what the facts might be.

Well, that's not objectivity, that's the illusion of facts always being politically neutral, when it isn't.

Well said. And the origins of this phenomenon are well discussed in this book. It's also uniquely American, which is why other western countries suffer less from it.

A big orchid to Ms. Abramson for her honesty and courage.

Yes, she hit the nail on the head: Many anti-Trump media have fashioned themselves into a de facto opposition party.

And the definition of "fake news" now has a perfect definition, which I have just heard from two radio commentators: "Opinion-loaded headlines that pretend to be 'news.' "

Once again, President Trump has been shown to be correct.

Absolutely shocking and will surely rock the core of journalism to its knees. I have to wonder, is CNN, Fox News, Huffington Post, National Review, Washington Post, and the Washington Examiner biased as well? SAY IT AIN'T SO?!?!?

If we've gotten to the point that stating the obvious constitutes journalism, I'm in the wrong profession.

Back
Top Bottom