• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ex-New York Officer Gets 5 Years of Probation in Fatal Brooklyn Shooting

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/n...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Ex-New York Officer Gets 5 Years of Probation in Fatal Brooklyn Shooting

In a Brooklyn courtroom packed with the relatives of his victim, Peter Liang, the former New York City police officer who fatally shot Akai Gurley while on patrol in a housing project stairwell, was sentenced on Tuesday to five years of probation, escaping a prison term in the divisive police misconduct case.

The sentencing in State Supreme Court put to rest a politically contentious case that highlighted concerns over police accountability. It began in November 2014 when Mr. Gurley was hit by a ricocheting bullet in a dark stairwell of the Louis H. Pink Houses in the East New York neighborhood, joining a list of other unarmed black men who had been killed by the police around the country.
Thoughts on sentencing?

Sounds fair to me. He had no criminal intent and now he has to live with a criminal record and the infamy.

Agreed, no criminal intent, negligence, yes

Either there is more to this case, or this is a very large miscarriage of justice.

I'd be inclined to call that an accident
Officer had to have his safety off when coming down the stairwell.

Maybe so, but the unintended discharge of his weapon constitutes negligence.

Criminal negligence?
There are consequences to the mistake, do they need to be life-altering? I mean, does this individual need a judicial attitude adjustment or does vengeance need to be seen to have happened? What are we trying to accomplish here?

Officer had to have his safety off when coming down the stairwell.

If that's SOP, then this is just a sad accident.

Criminal negligence?
There are consequences to the mistake, do they need to be life-altering? I mean, does this individual need a judicial attitude adjustment or does vengeance need to be seen to have happened? What are we trying to accomplish here?

If i were to accidentally fire a gun in that same housing complex, could i have criminal charges filed against me ?

I'm suspecting the answer to that question is 'yes' and, if so, then the officer is accountable to that.

If i were to accidentally fire a gun in that same housing complex, could i have criminal charges filed against me ?

I'm suspecting the answer to that question is 'yes' and, if so, then the officer is accountable to that.

He did have criminal charges against him, and he was convicted and found guilty. We're talking about the sentencing.

From what I recall, this is not SOP.

I don't know, NYPD? What do they tell their trainees to do?
According to testimony, the cop didn't even know there was anyone in the stairwell. If there was even a hint that his finger twitched at a sound or a shadow I'd say yes, jail time, but if it was all as presented to the judge, I think the judge made the right call.

I don't know, NYPD? What do they tell their trainees to do?
According to testimony, the cop didn't even know there was anyone in the stairwell. If there was even a hint that his finger twitched at a sound or a shadow I'd say yes, jail time, but if it was all as presented to the judge, I think the judge made the right call.

I will research it more, but tomorrow.

"He fired once and the bullet ricocheted, killing Akai Gurley, who was also in the stairwell.

A jury convicted Liang of second-degree manslaughter in February for Gurley's death. The police department fired Liang shortly after the verdict. "

He is paying a high enough price

Back
Top Bottom