• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ex-KKK leader David Duke says he plans to run for US Senate

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ex-KKK leader David Duke says he plans to run for US Senate

BATON ROUGE, La. — Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke announced Friday on his website that he plans to run for U.S. Senate in Louisiana.

A registered Republican, he would be seeking an open seat vacated by Republican David Vitter.

"I'm proud to announce my candidacy for the United States Senate," Duke said in a video. "I believe in equal rights for all and respect for all Americans. However, what makes me different is I also demand respect for the rights and heritage of European Americans."

Well, this should be interesting.

Robert Byrd did it on the Dems side.

Robert Byrd did it on the Dems side.

The difference being that Robert Byrd owned up to how wrong his racism had been. AFAIK, David Duke never has.

And for those who think that Robert Byrd was joking, remember my many, many posts here on DP pointing out that I, too, was a racist, raised in a racist family, and one of my family's acquaintances was U.S. Senator James Eastland, who was for a generation the most powerful racist in America. Robert Byrd would have known him personally, too.

If I was able to unlearn the racism I'd been taught almost from birth, then how can anyone say that Byrd didn't?

The difference being that Robert Byrd owned up to how wrong his racism had been. AFAIK, David Duke never has.

And for those who think that Robert Byrd was joking, remember my many, many posts here on DP pointing out that I, too, was a racist, raised in a racist family, and one of my family's acquaintances was U.S. Senator James Eastland, who was for a generation the most powerful racist in America. Robert Byrd would have known him personally, too.

If I was able to unlearn the racism I'd been taught almost from birth, then how can anyone say that Byrd didn't?

Robert Byrd was a racist till the day he died. He simply pretended he wasn't because it wasn't acceptable anymore.

Because, like, uh, Byrd was a politician???????

Yes, there's a very distinct difference between Byrd, constantly apologizing and seemingly serious about his contrition, and someone who 50 years later is running for office saying **** like "I also demand respect for the rights and heritage of European Americans"

The comparison is silly.

Robert Byrd was a racist till the day he died. He simply pretended he wasn't because it wasn't acceptable anymore.

Must be nice being able to read minds. How much do you charge for psychic phone readings? 3.99 a minute?

Your reply is by definition an assumption. You assume that he pretended to not be a racist anymore. It would be best if you got away from sticking with assumptions.

Are you claiming that no politicians ever are truthful, or that they never, ever try to do the right thing?

Or is that only for the politicians who aren't on the side you personally like?

You asked a question. I answered it. Please be polite enough not to pester me.

You asked a question. I answered it. Please be polite enough not to pester me.

You also asked a question. Like me, you answered a question with a question, and I did so in return. When one answers a question with a question, while that question may provide an answer, it also by definition allows for an answer in return.

Not surprising when you think about Trump's popularity. I can image many Trump supporters voting for Duke.

Louisiana hates Duke. He's a laughing stock around here. He probably won't get past the primary.

You also asked a question. Like me, you answered a question with a question, and I did so in return. When one answers a question with a question, while that question may provide an answer, it also by definition allows for an answer in return.

I intended for my reply to be so obvious that it would answer itself. Please allow me to re-state my earlier reply, "Because Byrd was a politician!"

I intended for my reply to be so obvious that it would answer itself. Please allow me to re-state my earlier reply, "Because Byrd was a politician!"

So what?

Must be nice being able to read minds. How much do you charge for psychic phone readings? 3.99 a minute?

I would do a free reading for you, however when I tried nothing was in there.

and because he was a politician, he automatically lied. I see.

I guess that's why y'all don't mind the incredibly obvious lies that Trump tells, e.g. "I saw thousands of Muslims dancing in the streets in New Jersey on 9/11!" and "Obama wasn't born in America!"...

...and then there's Reaganomics: "If only we would cut the taxes on the rich, the poor would have more money!"

and because he was a politician, he automatically lied. I see.

I guess that's why y'all don't mind the incredibly obvious lies that Trump tells, e.g. "I saw thousands of Muslims dancing in the streets in New Jersey on 9/11!" and "Obama wasn't born in America!"...

...and then there's Reaganomics: "If only we would cut the taxes on the rich, the poor would have more money!"

I must be very easily confused. I thought this thread was about David Duke.

Back
Top Bottom