• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Ex-gay' organization Exodus International issues apology and shuts down

Einzige

Elitist as Hell.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Exodus International - lead "cure the gays" group - closes, apologizes

“Exodus is an institution in the conservative Christian world, but we’ve ceased to be a living, breathing organism,” said Alan Chambers, President of Exodus. “For quite some time we’ve been imprisoned in a worldview that’s neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical.”

Chambers continued: “From a Judeo-Christian perspective, gay, straight or otherwise, we’re all prodigal sons and daughters. Exodus International is the prodigal’s older brother, trying to impose its will on God’s promises, and make judgments on who’s worthy of His Kingdom. God is calling us to be the Father – to welcome everyone, to love unhindered.”

Bizarre. These fellows have been a thorn in the side of liberty for years now. No doubt my gloating will be taken by certain social conservatives here as exemplary of how uncaring I am about those poor fundamentalists who are now unemployed.

Guilty as soon-to-be-charged.

Last edited:
Did you know that on TWO occasions, the leaders of Exodus International had to leave in disgrace because they ended up "marrying" members who were the same sex... after "claiming" that they no longer had those urges.

Good riddance. Dangerous organization spewing unethical treatment.

From CNN: With the closing of Exodus International, the board of directors voted to begin a new and separate ministry called Reduce Fear.

"This is a new season of ministry, to a new generation," Chambers said. "Our goals are to reduce fear, and come alongside churches to become safe, welcoming and mutually transforming communities."

It's meant to align with Jesus' New Testament message found in John 13:34 -- "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Group apologizes to gay community, then shuts down 'cure' ministry - CNN.com

Rather than gloat, I'd say rejoice that this group is now turning its efforts toward reconciliation. I hope that much healing will come from this.

I always thought that this ex gay thing was a myth. I am so glad I didn't find out about it as a youth

It was kind of inevitable when the leader of the organization said last year that 99.9% of homosexuals in therapy could not change their attractions.

Predictably enough, only the people who base their livelihood on conversion therapy seem to be protesting.

Basically, they are conceding that "a new generation of Christians is looking for change." It's a begrudging apology, full of emphasis on the 'good' they have done. Like the church itself, they have too much blood on their hands to simply forget all the harm they've done. At some point in the distant future, certainly only after full equality is realized, I might consider accepting this 'apology.'

Back
Top Bottom